PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vonnie Holliday visiting the Patriots today (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be another pretty good player... how will BB use him???

Today camp report stayed their was 1 on 1 pass rush drills and seymour looked unblockable.

I am thinking Warren might be easing in. Also these are veterans and incase of mid season injury they are probabily on the call list.

Today camp report stayed their was 1 on 1 pass rush drills and seymour looked unblockable.

I am thinking Warren might be easing in. Also these are veterans and incase of mid season injury they are probabily on the call list.

I think at least one of these guys (Carter/Holliday) will be gone to either here or elsewhere before the preseason ends - Both have decent skills that a team with injuries on the D-Line will probably sign.

If the Patriots really want one of them,I think its now or never

I know the company line of 'just trying to make the team better' but after Seymour/Warren who are the other true 3-4 DEs on the roster? Wright? Green more of a pass rush guy, not a two gapping DE. Brace is close but doesn't quite have the height and is a rook. I thought LeKevin is more of an interior guy? Anyone clarify?

I think one of these guys (Hollday and/or Carter) will be a true 3-4 backup insurance to Seymour/Warren, seeing as one or both always seem to get nicked here and there over the course of the season.

I think your definition of "major" needs a bit of adjustment especially if you think that cutting loose the rotting corpse of Vonnie Holiday was a 'major' depature.

Contributions from another thread...

Too much is being read into these visits. This is simply the way

the Patriots do business. They schedule endless tryouts to improve the

team.

They are compiling their "just in case" list I bet. They seem to do this every season.

Patriots might get a Holliday

New England's pursuit of a backup defensive lineman is now focusing on Vonnie Holliday.

Holliday is taking a free-agent visit with the Patriots on Monday, one source told FOXSports.com. FOXSports.com first reported last week that New England also was courting free agent Kevin Carter in at attempt to bolster its line rotation behind starting ends Ty Warren and Richard Seymour.

-more-

Source: Pats target ex-Dolphins DE Holliday - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

Re: Patriots might get a Holliday

Holy recurring news batman

I know the company line of 'just trying to make the team better' but after Seymour/Warren who are the other true 3-4 DEs on the roster? Wright? Green more of a pass rush guy, not a two gapping DE.
For 7 years Green has been a backup DE, and played the position when Seymour was hurt, including the playoffs. When his rookie contract was up, he got a good contract extension.

He has 196 tackles, 131 of them solo, and 27 sacks, all in the role of limited playing time as a backup.

Don't you think it's a little silly to claim he doesn't fit our system?

January 2010 :

4-3 defense. Carter, Holliday, Brace, and Wright on DL. TBC, Guyton, and Burgess LB. Slater & McGowan at safety with corners Wheatley and Wilhite.

Fun.

Re: Patriots might get a Holliday

I'm hearing it's between him and...Chris Canty!

For 7 years Green has been a backup DE, and played the position when Seymour was hurt, including the playoffs. When his rookie contract was up, he got a good contract extension.

He has 196 tackles, 131 of them solo, and 27 sacks, all in the role of limited playing time as a backup.

Don't you think it's a little silly to claim he doesn't fit our system?

I'm just saying he isn't a prototypical 3-4 DE. Maybe I am wrong, but I seem to recall Wright filling in for Warren last year, not Green. Green absolutely fits the Patriots system, but he plays DE in a four man front with Seymour/Wilfork inside. I've seen his role more as a 'get-up-the-field' 4-3 D-lineman, not a two gap space eater. No?

I'm just saying he isn't a prototypical 3-4 DE. Maybe I am wrong, but I seem to recall Wright filling in for Warren last year, not Green. Green absolutely fits the Patriots system, but he plays DE in a four man front with Seymour/Wilfork inside. I've seen his role more as a 'get-up-the-field' 4-3 D-lineman, not a two gap space eater. No?
Green tends to be used to sub for Seymour...not to mention he was injured last year. Wright has been more often used to sub for Warren or Wilfork - I saw nothing unusual in the use of Green, Wright, or Smith last season.

What may have NE shopping the old 3-4 DE market isn't evident yet, but I'd be surprised to find it was a lack of faith in Green or any of the other DL "regulars."

If they had to choose just one, I'd prefer they choose Carter. If they can get both cheap, then why not? This just furthers my belief that we could be seeing a Patriot base 4-3 this year, even with the addition of Burgess.

Last edited:
If they had to choose just one, I'd prefer they choose Carter. If they can get both cheap, then why not? This just furthers my belief that we could be seeing a Patriot base 4-3 this year, even with the addition of Burgess.
I really doubt that..MORE 4-3 yes..but NOT a base..they really don't have the LBs for a 4-3 base...BUt I agree there will be more 4-3...I also think they will sign one of the 2...or even add in a 3rd 4th choice...the cheapest I think...Carter seemed to have many options which usually means he looking for the longest green...

It looks likea fun season shaping up :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey