Welcome to PatsFans.com

Volunteer Pump Your Gas Screw The Kids Bastards

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Why was there no outrage from the people when the Gas Stations Of America slowly but surely forced us to get out of our cars and pump our own gas, it's not only a pain in the a$s for the drivers but imagine how many young people were put out of work.

Volunteers:
    Hospitals want you to volunteer and work for nothing, they charge $10,000 a day for a room and $50 for one aspirin, why do these batty old bastards fall for that sh!t and volunteer to clean bed pans for nothing, how many young people are out of work on that one.

Beaches Volunteer Bullsh!t:
    They used to hire school kids during the summer to clean the beaches now they use the "F-cking Volunteer" old dried up sh!tty skinny legged white mother f-ckers dressed in their white hats and yellow polyester shorts
    (you can see the outline of their diapers) they now clean the beaches for nothing, some of these old cackling morons even bring their own bags, how many young people did this one do away with.

I don't blame the school kids for laying around shoving coke up their noses, the Volunteers took all their jobs away from them.

Volunteer Bastards
    :bricks:
  2. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Were you ever in Vaudville (Scollay Square)------:rocker:
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Holy sh-t, Harry!
    We're on the same wavelength on this one. I was having a conversation with my wife about this very subject because I've been trying to figure out why kids are so fat, spioled rotten and lazy. This is exactly one of the reasons I came up with. Have you been talkin to my wife again?
  4. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Some towns still have a lane for full service, tho, never see kids out there. More of an outrage, is when they outlawed kids from delivering newspapers. I bet there's a lot of guys on this site that delivered papers when they were youngsters.
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Not me, its all good. My grandfather was a reporter for the Boston Herald and before that was the general manager of WEEI. That was long ago, when radio was the only gig in town and James Michael Curley was mayor. Thus, always like to hear stories of yesteryear, tho, you probably don't go back that far.
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

You did all the same stuff I did, when we "hooked school" Scollay Sq was where we headed, I lived in Cambridge we would walk up Main St out of Central Sq to Windsor St that was one of the few corners that had a traffic light when a truck had to stop for the light we would hop the truck they usually went straight over West Boston Bridge and right up into Scollay Sq, I slod papers too, corner of Prospect & Mass Ave, sold a lot of "Records" people would come out at night and buy the Record to see if they had "Hit The Number", Jesus Nem do remember what they called the Numbers, I wouldn't want to repeat that one today.

:bricks:
  7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

In New Jersey there's a union thing or something, you can't pump your own gas. It's great, most of the time. Other times, I'm in a hurry, reaching for the pump, while the guy whose very existence is a throwback to the Harryzoic era is counting money from an apron. He looks up and shouts "hey!" and I say "Oh I thought you might not be working." That usually gets things moving.

PFnV
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

I think they should all have a "full service pump" what do the handicap drivers do, what about somebody thats wearing a Tuxedo and people like my wife, oh Jesus, I'm going to take movies of my wife trying to use a credit card at a gas pump and put it on You Tube :singing:
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

What if somebody already did? :D
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

All this is a decent concern, but there is one aspect about pumping gas that might explain why kids don't do it anymore. The solvents in gasoline release VOC's (volatile organic compounds) in fumes that are most definitely harmful. Toluene, benzene and MTBE among others have been known to cause desease such as Lukemia and some are positively classified as neurotoxins. Prolonged exposure to this crap can seriously injur a kid over the long term.

Just a thought.

I do think kids should be allowed to do paper routes though, but declining subscriptions and the need for people to augment their incomes have shut out kids from this opportunity. ...That and the overriding perception and fear of parents that their child is at constant risk of abduction and rape
  11. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I delivered the herald, a great job for an 11 year old...

Memories of the light on my handlebars and 2 bags of papers slung across my shoulders and peddling as the sun slowly rose:)
  12. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

I don't think I'd have a problem hiring a kid, for example, to work a fast-food drivethrough. In fact, plenty of kids do this job. Ditto plenty of other jobs in construction, fast food, etc. A lot of the time, some jobs are filled with adults, some with teens, some with the usual hate-targets around here, like immigrants.

Consider this: in the four or five decades between the present and the "golden age" we always see venerated in musings like this, what other changes have occured?

How many of your peers had computer jobs when you were a kid, even boring data entry jobs? How many worked at barristas in silly coffee shops with made up foreign sounding names for small, medium and large? How many kids did you know that were honing web skills making myspace and facebook pages? How many were running profitable websites of their own?

I read about some guy recently who figured out he could divide a web page into a TON of tiny banner-sized areas, where you could put your logo with a hyperlink. Then he charged a fairly low amount of money for each participant, from big corporations to teeny little mom and pop outfits. He called it the "million dollar page," because that's what it would add up to if everybody filled out a cell. Guess what? It worked. The kid is a millionaire (a college student, I think, though it might have been a high schooler.)

Well, for each of those, there's a million who aren't getting rich, but there are also new "kid" jobs replacing those that have gone away, but are stuck in your memory as the "right" job for a kid.

Well, near as I can tell, there's no forward career path that uses skills like flinging rolled up newspaper, or holding in the handle on a gas pump.

Skills like keyboarding, web design, marketing, and the like, by contrast, provide experience that can be built on later in life.

So if it's some kid's career versus your nostalgia, which one do you pick?

Before you answer, realize that the "just do basic work and you'll be fine" paradigm has all but vanished in America.

The weak dollar may bring some resurgence; temporarily, we may become somewhere you ship semi-skilled jobs to, although un-skilled labor will still go to the third world. As to unskilled labor here at home, we effectively "offshore" that by hiring aliens... so to compete for the unskilled labor market, we effectively have to accept unskilled labor wages.

Now, teach your kids even semiskilled labor, and they live much better. Well, that's always been the case, but more skilled labor is no longer the province of some cabal at the top of the economic ladder. It's the bread and butter of the economy.

If it were my kid, and he had an offer to do soul-destroying, sort of mindless office work (data entry for instance,) and another offer to pump gas, be outside, and enjoy the fumes, I'd push him toward the data entry. At least he'd be positioned better for later in life.

PFnV
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008