PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Voluntary workouts not voluntary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporin

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I was just reading about how Joe Gibbs is po'd at a few of his guys for skipping "voluntary" workouts.

Every year this happens and every year I wonder why they call them "voluntary" if they are going to freak out when players don't show up for the,.

Thoughts?

I was just reading about how Joe Gibbs is po'd at a few of his guys for skipping "voluntary" workouts.

Every year this happens and every year I wonder why they call them "voluntary" if they are going to freak out when players don't show up for the,.

Thoughts?
They're "voluntary" because per the CBA they can't be mandatory, but good players know how to read between the lines and do more than the bare minimum.

Because they're voluntary and there's no fine for not showing up - unless there's a bonus that doesn't get paid if it's in the contract. But they aren't fined if they miss it - but, sure, their boss might consider it if someone competing with them for playing time for a roster spot shows up and another stays home.

Two schools of thought:

1) Work for free? Go in on the day off? Who me? We're talkin' 'bout practice!

2) Dedication and commitment are paramount! Or...youngin' looking for every opportunity to show something, even it is just what the true leadership vet screams about.

Voluntary = voluntary. When the s*** goes down, it'll only be grudge holders who remember who and when.

Because they're voluntary and there's no fine for not showing up - unless there's a bonus that doesn't get paid if it's in the contract. But they aren't fined if they miss it - but, sure, their boss might consider it if someone competing with them for playing time for a roster spot shows up and another stays home.

...and that, in a nutshell, is the difference between the good and the great NFL players.

Teams should encourage the attendance of voluntary workouts but IMO it isn't right to get upset or punish a player (in one way or another) for not showing up. If I was the NFLPA I would be angry about that.

Well I don't see anywhere a quote where Gibbs actually fined a player for missing the voluntary workouts. But imo he has every right to be pissed at his players for showing lack of work ethic coming off a year where they didn't even make the playoffs. Gibbs is completely in his rights as the head coach to put a player in his doghouse for missing workouts. He can't fine them, per the rule, but he has other ways to show his displeasure, such as less playing time, or a lower position on the depth chart. If you are a ROOKIE trying to make a team, missing voluntary workouts would be a huge mistake imo. You need every leg up you can get to adjust to the pro game.

Well I don't see anywhere a quote where Gibbs actually fined a player for missing the voluntary workouts. But imo he has every right to be pissed at his players for showing lack of work ethic coming off a year where they didn't even make the playoffs. Gibbs is completely in his rights as the head coach to put a player in his doghouse for missing workouts. He can't fine them, per the rule, but he has other ways to show his displeasure, such as less playing time, or a lower position on the depth chart. If you are a ROOKIE trying to make a team, missing voluntary workouts would be a huge mistake imo. You need every leg up you can get to adjust to the pro game.

It's not a lack of work ethic. Just because a player isn't at the voluntary workouts doesn't mean he isn't working out. Asante Samuel never attends workouts because he has his own taylored workout in Florida, which was a big reason for his big year. Either something should be voluntary, or it shouldn't. Don't say it is voluntary but if you don't volunteer to come you will get in trouble. Seems like an oxy moron, doesn't it?

I wonder how salary negotiations go with regards to these workout bonuses. Let's say a team and player/agent come to an agreement for $3M/year. The team wants the player to attend a "voluntary" workout program and structure it as a $100K workout "bonus". The final breakdown ends up being $2.9M base and $100K workout bonus. In that sense, it's more like the player gets fined $100K for not showing up. There's two ways to look at it, I guess.

Regards,
Chris

A player on the bubble and/or fighting for a roster/starting job is going to be looked at differently than a teams star players. Even by Gibbs. Guys on the bubble probably would want to show up to have more time to show what they can do. But even if they don't and wait until training camp, even Gibbs is going to keep the guys he thinks give him the best chance to win. Even if they don't show up at 'voluntary' camps.

It's about as "voluntary" as donating at work to the United Fund.

You know, where if you opt not to donate because you give to other worthy causes out side of work, you have hordes of people pressuring you to donate anyway because you'll make your department or company look bad due to not having 100% co-operation. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Or those "voluntary" all hands meetings at work where you have to sign-in to get into the meeting hall so they know who didn't show!

That sort of "voluntary."

Last edited:
:rocker: PFT agrees with me. :)

PFT POSTED 11:42 p.m. EDT, May 29, 2007

MORE PROOF THAT VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS AREN'T

Titans coach Jeff Fisher is upset because running back LenWhale White didn't make it back to town for the resumption of Organized Team Activities.

"I've been on record with being disappointed with him right now. I hope to have him back on the practice field Thursday. But again, everybody else was here, he wasn't. I'm anxious to hear what kind of excuse he has."

How about this one, Jeff? IT'S VOLUNTARY!

Look, we think that it's in White's best interests to show up for practice, even if it's voluntary. He needs to get his chunky butt in shape, and he needs to make the most of his opportunity to become the starting running back. But it's not Fisher's place to make comments suggesting that White doesn't have the right to sit home and eat ham sandwiches instead, if he so chooses.

Meanwhile, the NFLPA continues to do nothing to address these blatant violations of the rules.

Or those "voluntary" all hands meetings at work where you have to sign-in to get into the meeting hall so they know who didn't show!

yeah exactly. In many workplaces they will "ask" you to volunteer for a project or to take a survey, but then when you decline you will then be "ordered".

It's about as "voluntary" as donating at work to the United Fund.

You know, where if you opt not to donate because you give to other worthy causes out side of work, you have hordes of people pressuring you to donate anyway because you'll make your department or company look bad due to not having 100% co-operation. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hate that. HATE that. But...I think this is a different kind of "voluntary." It's like staying late at a job that's technically 9-5. No, it's not part of your job requirements. But if promotions (or layoffs) come around, you think the boss doesn't notice who's out the door at the stroke of 5:00?

It's like this in every highly paid, competitive profession. Florio gets all high and mighty about it for football players, but come on, he's an attorney, he should know better. Ask any young associate at a big law firm whether those late hours are "voluntary." Those who want to get ahead always have to do more than what's required. Is that a good thing? I don't know. But it's reality.

Hate that. HATE that. But...I think this is a different kind of "voluntary." It's like staying late at a job that's technically 9-5. No, it's not part of your job requirements. But if promotions (or layoffs) come around, you think the boss doesn't notice who's out the door at the stroke of 5:00?

It's like this in every highly paid, competitive profession. Florio gets all high and mighty about it for football players, but come on, he's an attorney, he should know better. Ask any young associate at a big law firm whether those late hours are "voluntary." Those who want to get ahead always have to do more than what's required. Is that a good thing? I don't know. But it's reality.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

:rocker: PFT agrees with me. :)

The idea that LenWhale needs an excuse for not showing up to voluntary workouts is ludicrous.

If I were a player, I would attend all voluntary workouts, but the bottom line is that coaches are breaking the rules by implementing punishments for players not showing for voluntary workouts.

The idea that LenWhale needs an excuse for not showing up to voluntary workouts is ludicrous.

If I were a player, I would attend all voluntary workouts, but the bottom line is that coaches are breaking the rules by implementing punishments for players not showing for voluntary workouts.

I'm certainly not endorsing players slacking off or not working hard, especially guys on the bubble. It's the hypocrisy of the rule that is outlandish to me, and the coaches who rant to the media about it.

It's not a lack of work ethic. Just because a player isn't at the voluntary workouts doesn't mean he isn't working out. Asante Samuel never attends workouts because he has his own taylored workout in Florida, which was a big reason for his big year.

Zippo, I think there's a distinction here between the offeseason conditioning program and an OTA like passing camp.

Also, while I stand by my argument that minimum requirements get thrown out the window in every competitive, lucrative profession, I should also make clear that coaches like Fisher are idiots for making public proclamations about it. You can make coded statements to your team that you "value players' offseason commitment to the program," etc. But telling the press that absences should be "excused"? :rolleyes: Have some sense, guys.

Voluntary workouts just means they can't be fined for skipping it. Players can be cut for anything, including just the coaches' displeasure.

Zippo, I think there's a distinction here between the offeseason conditioning program and an OTA like passing camp.

Also, while I stand by my argument that minimum requirements get thrown out the window in every competitive, lucrative profession, I should also make clear that coaches like Fisher are idiots for making public proclamations about it. You can make coded statements to your team that you "value players' offseason commitment to the program," etc. But telling the press that absences should be "excused"? :rolleyes: Have some sense, guys.

I agree that even if coaches are going to stretch or even break the rules they should be more discrete about it. It's like teams putting up pictures of them breaking the "no contact" rule during offseason workouts on their official websites.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes