PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vollmer's play vs. Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrellbee

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Some details on Vollmer's play in the Titan's game.

It seems to me that what might be the thing that Vollmer has to work on the most would be to hold or pursue his blocks longer. My very uneducated guess would be to wonder if he has progressed quite yet from college play where holding blocks for a longer time is not quite as critical.

I'll mention a few key plays and then summarize the rest. My comments don't include the 4th quarter where play may not have been as intense.

Q1-6:00 = he pulled right and through the line and took out the MLB which was critical to Maroney getting through for his TD run.

Q2-6:45 = very good PP (pass protection) - stood up his block and then slid out to pick up blitzer

Q3-12:22 = very good run block - Maroney got 10+ yards with his block. Here is one case where I wonder if coaches will work with him on maintaining his block. Maroney eventually cut back towards Vollmer and he re-engaged his guy but not soon enough to prevent his guy from stopping Maroney.

Q3-11:45 = average to poor RB (run block) - let his guy slip loose at end to get a hand on Maroney - still 4 yd run

Q3-6:57 (Hoyer) = excellent screen block - got all the way out really quickly to block LB out of screen to Edelman - sprang him for 17 yd gain

Q3-6:15 = OK run block - picked up block well but then let up on his guy a little and by the time he re-engaged his guy got a piece of Maroney - still 5 yd run

Q3-4:16 = I think I saw this one mentioned in other posts - screen on right side to Maroney- there was a blitzer that made Vollmer hesitate and he didn't get his block who went by him on Vollmer's right side unimpeded all the way through to make the tackle on Maroney on the other side

Q3-2:52 = WR screen to the left - another excellent block - great range and speed to come out to take out the LB to spring Welker for 14 yds - I could nitpick and say that if he had held his block longer his guy wouldn't have got a tackle assist on Welker when Welker was slowed down by another contact.

Q3-2:16 = good pulling block to take out LB

Q3-0:54 = Vollmer pancaked his block and Hoyer went over top of Vollmer (and Mankins) for the goal line plunge TD

So 3 key positive plays in the TD drive - other plays in the drive NOT listed above were: 2 good pass protections, an OK run block, and a good run block.

Summarizing plays NOT mentioned above for Q1 through Q3:
3 excellent/very good pass protection (exceptional blitz pick up, or kept protection with Brady moving around, or similar)
22 good pass protection (Brady had good time)
8 OK pass protection (if Brady hadn't gotten the ball off quickly, there might have been a problem - one, however was a TD - lol)
1 poor but adequate pass protection

4 excellent/very good run blocks
2 good run blocks
3 OK run blocks
2 poor run blocks
1 OK screen pass block

All in all it doesn't seem like a bad days work.

Tampa Bay and Miami Vollmer review later.

Last edited:
Re: Vollmer - Titans

very nice job, keep it up

one Q though, did u do any of thise for light?

if not, would it be a lot to ask for only one game?

im aksing b/c i am now wondering, if vollmer holds his own against freeney, weather even if light is ready to go, well start vollmer b/c vollmer is superior in run blocking to light

so in doint this for light i would be looking at how well light run blocked compared to these same stats for vollmer....

(b/c it seems maroney has run better lately, i.e. since light went down, but that could also correlate w/ going away from the zone run blocking)

Aside from the fact that the Titans gave up at the start of the 2nd :D
I think we all need to remember that KVB was having trouble with his footing. He didnt appear to have that initial burst due to the field. Thats not saying that Vollmer wouldnt have handled him well on a dry field. Im just not jumping on the rooks bandwagon until i see him handle Freeney.

Oh, and thanks for the breakdown. Your time spent, is appreciated :)

very nice job, keep it up

one Q though, did u do any of thise for light?

if not, would it be a lot to ask for only one game?

im aksing b/c i am now wondering, if vollmer holds his own against freeney, weather even if light is ready to go, well start vollmer b/c vollmer is superior in run blocking to light

so in doint this for light i would be looking at how well light run blocked compared to these same stats for vollmer....

(b/c it seems maroney has run better lately, i.e. since light went down, but that could also correlate w/ going away from the zone run blocking)
I don't have any recent analyses. One of my favorite all-time games though was one I went through a complete play-by-play where I watched Light play against Freeney in a Colts play-off game several years ago (Pats won and went on to win SB). The media announcers were carrying on about how Light had to have double team help against Freeney. The reality was that Light handled Freeney one-on-one the ENTIRE game with double team help on only one single play. Ironically on that play Andruzzi let Freeney get by him. But the rest of the game, Light didn't let Freeney get anywhere near Brady and totally - and I mean totally - blocked Freeney out of every single running play. That was a younger Freeney and Light then - I have no idea what might happen now - and I guess we won't find out this Sunday either. I wish Vollmer had more games under his belt before he goes up against Freeney. Inexperience could be a problem against a trick-type DE.

Interesting post "a-bee",thanks.

Please remember that Vollmer got hurt right at the end of the 2nd Quarter and it was evident that it affected him in the 2nd half.

Some details on Vollmer's play in the Titan's game.
So 3 key positive plays in the TD drive - other plays in the drive NOT listed above were: 2 good pass protections, an OK run block, and a good run block.

Summarizing plays NOT mentioned above for Q1 through Q3:
3 excellent/very good pass protection (exceptional blitz pick up, or kept protection with Brady moving around, or similar)
22 good pass protection (Brady had good time)
8 OK pass protection (if Brady hadn't gotten the ball off quickly, there might have been a problem - one, however was a TD - lol)
1 poor but adequate pass protection

4 excellent/very good run blocks
2 good run blocks
3 OK run blocks
2 poor run blocks
1 OK screen pass block

All in all it doesn't seem like a bad days work.

Tampa Bay and Miami Vollmer review later.

This is great stuff - I look forward to the TB & Miami thoughts as well. I've been trying to focus on Vollmer from time to time in re-watch, but haven't dedicated too much to him. When I do look, he generally does look like a beast, and the occasional mistake he makes seems no more frequent than a vet would make. Thanks for the breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back