PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vollmer's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't expect them to get rid of Vollmer or Solder, but in the event someone goes, it will almost certainly be the latter. While Solder has been uneven this year, I think it makes more sense to try and find the Bryan Stork of LGs than it does to play musical chairs with the OTs.

The underlying point is the Cannon signing. He was a dominant left TACKLE his senior season at TCU while being the same at right tackle the three years previous. At 6'6" 350 he could play either tackle side but his foot speed is superior to Solder's. Either way,my opinion is Cannon will be playing one of the tackle positions going forward , not guard.Therefore I think the Pats will be looking to draft at the guard position.

I don't expect them to get rid of Vollmer or Solder, but in the event someone goes, it will almost certainly be the latter. While Solder has been uneven this year, I think it makes more sense to try and find the Bryan Stork of LGs than it does to play musical chairs with the OTs.

This.

The Patriots can rework deals and,make the team stronger rather than the cut and paste approach that is so often advocated in the cap cuts threads we see here. Solder is under contract and Vollmer has been their most reliable OL imo. I would redo Vollmers deal and extend him and keep building the OL, instead of actually weakening it as is being discussed here. Keep it intact and add a guard who can help out the way Stork has at center. Cannon can either win a job or continue as a backup swing player.

This team has a 3-4 year run in it, don't weaken out,just keep building.

The underlying point is the Cannon signing. He was a dominant left TACKLE his senior season at TCU while being the same at right tackle the three years previous. At 6'6" 350 he could play either tackle side but his foot speed is superior to Solder's. Either way,my opinion is Cannon will be playing one of the tackle positions going forward , not guard.Therefore I think the Pats will be looking to draft at the guard position.
If both Solder and Vollmer is extended, then I agree that OT is not a series draft need. If either is not extended, then we need to draft an OT high in the draft.

In any case, we need to draft a LG. Even if Connolly comes back, we need an LG for the future. I would expect us to draft one in the early rounds 2-4 and one in the later rounds 5-6.

I believe that some have posted that this is a good draft for OL's.

I was disappointed to see Vollmer back on the injury report with "back" listed. That suggests that this back problems are likely chronic. Probably wouldn't expect him to have a long NFL career.

I was disappointed to see Vollmer back on the injury report with "back" listed. That suggests that this back problems are likely chronic. Probably wouldn't expect him to have a long NFL career.
I think that we've known that Vollmer's back problem is cronic for years. We always have to have a quality backup RT. The good news is that he is a fine RT when healthy.

I think that we've known that Vollmer's back problem is cronic for years. We always have to have a quality backup RT. The good news is that he is a fine RT when healthy.

Yeah, I know. After making it through this season, I was just hoping that he had been able to move on (although that seldom happens with back injuries). That's why I was disappointed to see him on the list with "back" again. Confirms that it's still chronic!

Belichick not only wants a quality 3rd swing tackle, but he wants to rotate Vollmer out to keep his pitch count down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back