PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vollmer vs Solder and the road to an All Pro LT

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerSchooled

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Nate Solder has garnered comparisons this draft class to our own second-team All Pro Sebastian Vollmer. That's due to their similarly insane size and athleticism. So looking at their measurables via nfldraftscout, who would you rather start at LT?

Vollmer Solder
Height 6075 6082
Weight 312 319
40 5.12 4.96
10splt 1.77 1.72
Bench 32 21
Vert 36.5 32
Broad 9'03 9'02
20yd 4.5 4.34
3cone 7.51 7.44

I can't find any official measurement for Vollmer's arm length, but word is they're about 33 compared to Solder's 35+.

So what do we have? Vollmer is certainly the stronger and more explosive player. 36.5 Vert for a guy his size is unthinkable and would be the best among all OL at the combine over the past 5 years. His bench and broad, needless to say, are very impressive as well. Solder, however, seems to have a bit more quickness to his game, as well as more length (some have said too much length).

Experience being equal (which it isn't), Solder's quickness would seem to lend itself better to the left, while Vollmer's insane power should give him the advantage on the right. One thing is obvious, though: Light isn't half the specimen these guys are. Considering OL we draft high always get put to use quickly, I think it's time to part ways. Bittersweet, but it's time.

I say let Vollmer play on the Left for now, and then groom solder on the Right Side. Both can benefit from the TEs. Once Solder has some experience, switch it up. Or don't. Either way, we should have the best pair of Tackles in the league sooner rather than later. I also suspect this sort of aggressive dedication to the line suggests Mankins may not be as lost a cause as we all assumed.

We draft a LT...might as well make him play LT.

Keep the monster at RT.

From the sounds of what Dante said, it appears that Solder is best suited to LT. Vollmer is unusual in that he can play either position proficiently. But he's also stronger than Solder at this point in time so he's better suited to play RT for us because he can stand up to the bullrush from LDEs better. Solder has a finesse game right now but that's quite suitable to pick up speed/edge rushers that typically line up at RDE like the Dwight Freeneys of the world.

Last edited:
Two wonderful bookends. Unfortunately no books to put between them.

Two wonderful bookends. Unfortunately no books to put between them.

Yeah, that Mankins is a real loser . . .

I'm almost positive we'll draft a center in the 5th--probably Fusco, possibly Barnes. We have several players with experience playing guard, including Connolley, who acquired himself well when starting. Our line is just fine.

Fusco would certainly be an interesting pick-up. Seems like a fit here.

I say we built an impenetrable wall for the offensive line. Let's go for Goliaths and Goliath size linemen only :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes