PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vollmer may move to LG according to Ben Volin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way that puts the 5 best linemen on the field. That's why I don't see Kline playing and Cannon riding the bench.

Seems a bit late to reshuffle the OL that dramatically a week before the first game. Given how BB constantly thinks a few moves ahead it is hard to believe that there was no signs of this move during the preseason.

When Mankins said no to the pay cut after the Probowl, the staff must have been already warned to look for contingencies in case we move him..

Last edited:
Solder 6’8” 320lbs
Vollmer 6’8” 325lbs

That is a large and in charge left side of the OL.
Taller isn't necessarily better at guard.
Taller is better at tackle because you can grab the DE, extend, and ride him outside.
At guard you need more power and agility. Get under the DT's pads.

Just conveniently ignore the multiple probowl selections and universal acclaim

He says the same thing about DMAC too. Just average players.

Has Vollmer ever played a snap at guard? He's a prototypical tackle.

That said, the goal of playing Solder, Vollmer and Cannon together is an easy one to get behind.

That's the thing. Solder, Vollmer and Cannon are our 3 best linemen by a fair margin, and I think it's not out of the question that Cannon has the ability to be grouped along with the first 2 guys. Keeping him on the bench seems like a waste, especially if Cam Fleming develops into a decent backup tackle. So someone has to play guard in order to get all 3 guys on the field. I'm a bit skeptical of Vollmer to LG with his back history and I think Cannon has by far the best guard build and skills of that group, but it doesn't always work out that way. Whatever works.

Triumph's attempt a being provocative not withstanding, its kind of a intriguing idea, even though, on the surface, it makes no sense. Like Mack said, the most important aspect of the OL is to get the 5 best OLmen on the field and that would include Volmer. But the fact that he's never play the position (IIRC), even during TC, makes it a long shot.

Robert Gallery was 6’7” 325lbs he was one of the best LGs during his career.

Alex Boone is 6'7" and Kyle Long 6'6". There are plenty of exceptions. But in general, 6'8" is pretty darn tall for a LG, and Vollmer's back history would seem like a red flag in terms of moving to guard.

Taller isn't necessarily better at guard.
Taller is better at tackle because you can grab the DE, extend, and ride him outside.
At guard you need more power and agility. Get under the DT's pads.
There is a change along defensive lines in recent years, which is part of the reason Mankins declined in pass protection. The increase in sub packages means the LG is often times lining up against a 3-Tech DT who is a player like Chandler Jones, more of a DE, or even a pass rushing 3-Tech DT like Atkins, Suh, McCoy.

First, whoever is leaking the conversations about internal meetings is going to end up in cement boots in the Charles. I hope it wasn't one of the lineman, as that would be a lousy way to lose one.

Second, sure, maybe this was one of the options discussed. As in, "if this happens, and then that happens, we could do this..." I'd be stunned at moving a long time starting, 6' 8" highly acclaimed RT inside as the personnel stands now.

I can't recall Volin ever breaking any kind of story, but whether or not this particular bit comes true I do think the Cannon situation is a conundrum. Fans have been dreaming of Cannon at guard for years now, yet the Patriots -- who are obviously in a much better position to know -- have continued to line him up at tackle.

I thought Reiss summed up the situation well a couple of days ago:
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4766982/on-o-line-best-5-or-best-combination

Alex Boone is 6'7" and Kyle Long 6'6". There are plenty of exceptions. But in general, 6'8" is pretty darn tall for a LG, and Vollmer's back history would seem like a red flag in terms of moving to guard.
The height is not a big concern for me.

Vollmer
Height: 6075
Weight: 312

Boone
Height: 6072
Weight: 328

Gallery
Height:6071
Weight:323

The back problems, you have raised a valid concern, I do not know enough about it to speak to it though.

Personally, I think Cannon projects better at guard, but what do I know.o_O

I can't recall Volin ever breaking any kind of story, but whether or not this particular bit comes true I do think the Cannon situation is a conundrum. Fans have been dreaming of Cannon at guard for years now, yet the Patriots -- who are obviously in a much better position to know -- have continued to line him up at tackle.

I thought Reiss summed up the situation well a couple of days ago:
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4766982/on-o-line-best-5-or-best-combination

The fact that the Pats have played Cannon at tackle doesn't necessarily mean that they don't believe he could factor in at guard. With Vollmer injured last year tackle was a greater need. BB's statement yesterday seemed pretty telling to me:

“He, I think, physically can play any position on the line. He probably could play center, too, but definitely could play guard or tackle. It’s just a question of refining his skills at one position. Of course, the majority of his plays have come at tackle. He did play guard last year, and he played guard this year.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...ts_notebook_marcus_cannon_s_in_line_for_spot

I think the Pats don't know what the best combination is to get all 3 guys on the field, and they will probably tinker with different options. Vollmer inside is probably just one of many alternatives being considered right now, but with Mankins gone, Cannon is far too valuable to sit on the bench.

My guess is the OL on opening day is Solder-Connolly-Wendell-Cannon-Vollmer. Hopefully with Stork taking over C by week 6

Connolly is worse at LG than he is at RG, so the team has a bit of a conundrum.

Solder
Kline
Connolly
Cannon
Vollmer

might be the best combination this group can put together right now, even though Cannon doesn't shine at guard when he's in there. However, going with that lineup would result in multiple changes when Stork is ready (I'm guessing they're looking at him taking over in a matter of weeks), and they'd probably like to avoid that if they can, and the team might still decide that it wants Wendell and Connolly both out there until Stork is ready.

So, if you put Cannon at RT, you weaken RT, but you move Vollmer to a place you think he can play and stay after Stork takes over. You'd also have a hell of a sight at left side at times, with Gronk, Solder and Vollmer lined up next to each other.

Alongside leverage and injury issues, another reason teams don't often put tall lineman on the interior is that it makes it that much harder for QBs to see downfield.

So Cannon being two inches shorter than Vollmer would be preferable.

For all the reasons listed above, particularly the three main concerns caused by height, I would be very surprised if Vollmer saw significant playing time at guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes