PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vollmer may move to LG according to Ben Volin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marinlik

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
According to Volin Pats discussed moving Vollmer to left guard and Cannon to RT at a line meeting yesterday. It would certainly be an interesting way to get our 3 best O-linemen on the field.

https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/505693715391062016

We already have some line threads. But felt like this deserves it's own thread as it certainly nothing I've seen mentioned before.

Wouldn't it make more sense to move Cannon inside to LG ?

Wouldn't it make more sense to move Cannon inside to LG ?
You'd think so, but Cannon didn't look too good there against the Saints last year.

"According to Ben Volin"

1340745069750_97486.png

I am for it.

Vollmer is OK at RT but nothing special.

Has Vollmer ever played a snap at guard? He's a prototypical tackle.

That said, the goal of playing Solder, Vollmer and Cannon together is an easy one to get behind.

I am for it.

Vollmer is OK at RT but nothing special.

Was an all pro. Still one of the better right tackle in the league before his season ending injury. But still, interesting transition, and hopefully work.

Last edited:
When healthy, and I know thats not often, Vollmer imo is our best lineman, but I think it unwise to put a guy that struggles with back injuries at guard. Guards seem to take more punishment than tackles considering all of the guys falling into them.

I wouldn't have a problem with that assuming Vollmer can handle the transition. It would put their best o-linemen on the field.

Sounds like it's more likely that they think Cannon excels more at the RT spot than Vollmer being a better guard.

Props to VrableJr who was calling out Cannon @ T all along.

Cannon was being groomed for this move.

"The opportunities he had to play early in the year, and even later in the year, he showed that improvement in games as well as the practice field," Belichick said. Asked if Cannon would be an option at right tackle if Sebastian Vollmer bolted in free agency, Belichick replied "that’s up to him." Cannon played 166 snaps at tackle last season, and just 12 at guard

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6578/marcus-cannon

Was an all pro. Still one of the better right tackle in the league before his season ending injury. But still, interesting transition, and hopefully work.

I think Vollmer is inconsistent.

Whatever Volin sells, I ain't buying.

Vollmer is too tall to play Guard and is one of the best RTs in the league.

Has Vollmer ever played a snap at guard? He's a prototypical tackle.

That said, the goal of playing Solder, Vollmer and Cannon together is an easy one to get behind.
Playing one of your best linemen on the interior of the line, an area where the Patriots have had significant issues in recent times may not be such a stupid idea after all.

Still believe Kline is LG.

Volin is a total lightweight. Tomorrow, on his on football column he'll extol the virtues of Batman playing tackle and Boy Wonder at Guard

Solder 6’8” 320lbs
Vollmer 6’8” 325lbs

That is a large and in charge left side of the OL.

Vollmer is 6-8 320

Cannon is 6-5 335

Robert Gallery was 6’7” 325lbs he was one of the best LGs during his career.

The way teams rush 2 DE off the QBs blindside often times in sub packages it is not an awful idea to have our 2 best OL on that side of the line. Brady's blindside will be secure allowing for you to focus on giving help on the right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down