PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vollmer, Fells, Dennard, Larsen, Wilson, Demps all practicing today (Wed 8/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Moore was close enough to make the tackle on DeSean Jackson should say a lot to people. Moore is the #4CB and he was able to stay with Jackson.

Moore only allowed 3 completed passes all night. COLE, on the other hand, was a sieve. He was always so far behind the receiver that every pass to them was completed.. Cole didn't impress me at all on Monday..

There's a strong myth that adequate coverage for a backup corner means being in the shirt of one of the fastest WRs even many yards from the sideline, when the receiver cuts toward the middle of the field with no apparent help.

Even great cornerbacks need to rely on sidelines, safety help. If every CB could blanket a DeSean Jackson in an unlimited open field, we'd evolve to 260 lb wrecking balls at WR, that would just smash the inevitable complete shutdown coverage from the line to the goal by every starter or backup.

Given that it's unlikely he could just give receivers every yard to the sideline, it seems to me Moore played receivers pretty well, from what i saw.

On the post to DeSean Jackson that most people are alluding to in their evaluations of Sterling Moore, Moore was in man but playing outside technique all the way.

Usually that means the CB is expecting either (a) man free, with a deep safety in the middle of the field, or (b) explicit double coverage, with help coming from the inside. Instead, the coverage was apparently man zero.

So I don't see that particular play as evidence of Moore's inability to cover, but as somebody's scheme mistake. Either Moore or the safety misunderstood their responsibilities.

Perhaps a additional piece of relevant information: I believe someone in the game thread said the free safety on that play was Sergio Brown.

When in doubt, assume that Sergio Brown ****ed up.

When in doubt, assume that Sergio Brown ****ed up.

"Eli's throwing to Manningham! Excuse me while I run full speed into him five seconds before the ball even gets there!"

Does that mean they drop a guy like Kouvides (#90)?

Works for me. Niko sux on defense, bad.

P.S.: I can't wait for Friday night. Then we'll have a better idea about who's ahead of whom on the depth chart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back