PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vollmer, Fells, Dennard, Larsen, Wilson, Demps all practicing today (Wed 8/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going one on one with DeSean Jackson all night and giving up the 1 deep play (when there was no S help (blown coverage?) isn't the disaster some people make it out to be for the #4 CB.

I am seeing 15 in the front 7 and 10 db, due to the number of sub packages running 5-6 db's.

My Db set is:

McCourty, Arrington, Dowling, Moore, Dennard
Chung, Gregory, Wilson, Ebner, Ihedigbo

Ihedigbo get the ST spot over Coles. With the amount of young talent Allen loses out to the emerging Ebner.

Just a note here:

With these players back in the fold, the Patriots will be able to play (at least) 4 of their 5 starters together on the O-line for the first time since camp began.

Solder - check
Mankins - check
C - check
RG - depends upon Waters
Vollmer - check

Last edited:
but it wouldn't shock me at all if Cole moves up and beats out Moore as the 4th.
There's almost zero chance of that happening at this point.

You don't IR a talented CB, even if he's way behind. Every year we have injuries at the position. Sure, Dennard isn't needed now as a CB5 that is behind the curve, but chances are we'll need him a CB3 by the playoffs due to injuries. No Molden in the SB please.

Last edited:
Just a note here:

With these players back in the fold, the Patriots will be able to play (at least) 4 of their 5 starters together on the O-line for the first time since camp began.

Solder - check
Mankins - check
C - check
RG - depends upon Waters
Vollmer - check

I wonder if Solder's play will improve from lining up next to Mankins. That should be at least somewhat interesting to watch.

Not necessarily. If the 4th corner is a special teams contributor, then Dennard can be an inactive 5th corner, who would be active in the event of injuires.
I know many here would find it to be a huge surprise, but it wouldn't shock me at all if Cole moves up and beats out Moore as the 4th.

Would not surprise me if you look at my post one or two before yours you will see I noted Moore as 4 but that I had hoped based on last year he would look better this camp and I noted Cole as 5 but also noted he contributes on STs. Based on this I could easily envision a scenario where Cole beats out Moore and if you put Cole at 4 and Moore at 5 he is off the roster if we only carry 4 and if we go with 5 it could be Dennard.

Problem for me and it is unfair to Dennard but he did not look good in the few practices he did participate in. I say its not fair because for all we know it could have been something minor in technique and may be corrected all ready we just cant see it because he was out.

To me I think the first question is do we carry 5 CBs? If we do I think it comes down to 3 players and based on what I have seen I would say Moore, Cole, and Dennard in that order.

I wonder if Solder's play will improve from lining up next to Mankins. That should be at least somewhat interesting to watch.

Also BB uses the TE to chip the DE to help the OT, That happened with Light for years. Light has been on an island during pre season.

Dennard will have to show that he is better than the 4th CB on the team. That is the only way I can imagine he makes the roster. He has two games to do it.

He could also prove to be a willing and capable STer. Given the premium on CBs in the NFL today, and the lack of consistency that we got last year at the position, I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick places enough of a premium on having 5 CBs who can actually play the position that Dennard sticks. Until Dowling proves that he can play three consecutive games without injury, it's probably better to be safe than sorry.

5 CBs, 4 safeties, adios Barrett and Ihedigbo. A secondary of McCourty, Dowling, Arrington, Moore, Dennard, Chung, Gregory, Wilson, and Ebner suits me just fine. Would like to keep Allen, but Ebner's cheap, will contribute on ST, and looks like he has a lot of upside. If that means that Niko or Tarpinian doesn't make the cut, then I can live with that.

Last edited:
moore seemed to be close to jackson on every play(jackson still made the catch). dont know if he had any help but it didnt seem like it. not much of a pass rush either.

if i remember correctly last year, none of our corners were often even near the receivers.

Actually, he was close enough to make the tackle (after the catch) but nowhere near close enough to defense the pass and prevent the completion.

He could also prove to be a willing and capable STer. Given the premium on CBs in the NFL today, and the lack of consistency that we got last year at the position, I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick places enough of a premium on having 5 CBs who can actually play the position that Dennard sticks.

5 CBs, 4 safeties, adios Barrett and Ihedigbo. A secondary of McCourty, Dowling, Arrington, Moore, Dennard, Chung, Gregory, Wilson, and Ebner suits me just fine. Would like to keep Allen, but Ebner's cheap, will contribute on ST, and looks like he has a lot of upside. If that means that Niko or Tarpinian doesn't make the cut, then I can live with that.

Besides missing out on Gregory (assume Allen is cut instead). I think Tarpinian will serve as the main backup coverage LB for the Patriots. I really do not want to see Tracy White playing LB for the Patriots.

I agree that Dennard will help this team win at some point and he really good turn out to be a fabulous player. The roster cuts are gonna be painful this year. Have not seen so many deserving guys on the roster for a long time.

Actually, he was close enough to make the tackle (after the catch) but nowhere near close enough to defense the pass and prevent the completion.

The fact that Moore was close enough to make the tackle on DeSean Jackson should say a lot to people. Moore is the #4CB and he was able to stay with Jackson.

Moore only allowed 3 completed passes all night. COLE, on the other hand, was a sieve. He was always so far behind the receiver that every pass to them was completed.. Cole didn't impress me at all on Monday..

Besides missing out on Gregory (assume Allen is cut instead). I think Tarpinian will serve as the main backup coverage LB for the Patriots. I really do not want to see Tracy White playing LB for the Patriots.

I agree that Dennard will help this team win at some point and he really good turn out to be a fabulous player. The roster cuts are gonna be painful this year. Have not seen so many deserving guys on the roster for a long time.

Yeah, edited my post to put Gregory in, skipped over him when I was looking at my 53 then couldn't figure out why I only had 8 DBs. I could see Niko getting cut instead of Tarp, too. They're both probably competing for Tracy White's spot of the past few years. If I had to guess, though, I'd say that Niko wins the spot.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I have no life(lol).....But,this seems like Christmas to me:singing:

Niko more valuable/better than tarp. Moore is ahead of dennard. No ihedigbo.

So the man single who handed got us to the SB is not good enough to be our 5th CB? I want BB tarred and feathered this instance.:mad:

On the post to DeSean Jackson that most people are alluding to in their evaluations of Sterling Moore, Moore was in man but playing outside technique all the way.

Usually that means the CB is expecting either (a) man free, with a deep safety in the middle of the field, or (b) explicit double coverage, with help coming from the inside. Instead, the coverage was apparently man zero.

So I don't see that particular play as evidence of Moore's inability to cover, but as somebody's scheme mistake. Either Moore or the safety misunderstood their responsibilities.

Perhaps a additional piece of relevant information: I believe someone in the game thread said the free safety on that play was Sergio Brown.

It won't shock me if he overtakes Moore.

Gosh, I hate to admit this but you may be right.

I actually like Moore though, to me, he's the player that really helped get us to the Superbowl. We'll see I guess. I will be at the game Friday.

Niko more valuable/better than tarp. Moore is ahead of dennard. No ihedigbo.

This I like. "Idigabooger" is not that great and ALWAYS hurt.

Last edited:
Gosh, I hate to admit this but you may be right.

I actually like Moore though, to me, he's the player that really helped get us to the Superbowl. We'll see I guess. I will be at the game Friday.

My thinking is that they are playing Dennard in a different role. He'd reportedly been doing a lot of slot work. I could see the Patriots getting him in as the CB4 because he's taking bigger/shorter range slot guys and allowing Dowling and McCourty to stay on the outside, while giving Arrington any slot guy who's got more ability to get downfield. It's not so much a comment on Moore's play. I didn't really focus on him when I watched the Patriots practice during TC, and I haven't seen enough reporting or game time to really appraise Moore right now.

And who says Fanene was a waste...whoever else is currently on IR, beware...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back