PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vollmer: Did he just play one set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I saw him come in for "Todd" after the penalty, but I can't remember him after the first play. Thought he did a great job.

I'm just wondering if he played long and if so, how he played.

Yah, das grossfische ist fantastich!

I saw him come in for "Todd" after the penalty, but I can't remember him after the first play. Thought he did a great job.

I'm just wondering if he played long and if so, how he played.

Yeah I saw him in there a few times, but the less I see him, the better he's doing, I guess. But if he's doing too well, we'll never know he's in there. :p

In all seriousness, he looked pretty good from what I saw, seemed to handle those speed rushers better than Light.

Just saw on Reiss' blog that Vollmer played 8 snaps for 3 TE sets.

Should Matt Light start renting?

Vollmer looked extremely good when he was in there. I was surprised they brought Light back in because he was having some trouble the schobel. Seabass has those long arms to keep the defenders away from his body and as long as he keeps moving his feet well it won't be long before we see him in there whether it be for light or they move light to RT and put Seabass at LT. He was definitely a great pick by BB and will be the future of our O-line which is encouraging. The only ? I have on him though is I only saw him pass blocking and I am not sure if he has been able to stay low enough of running plays yet but we will have to see.

I wasn't really surprised. You want your Vet LT in there in situations like this game. He may get beat, but he won't make many mistakes.

Vollmer looked extremely good when he was in there. I was surprised they brought Light back in because he was having some trouble the schobel. Seabass has those long arms to keep the defenders away from his body and as long as he keeps moving his feet well it won't be long before we see him in there whether it be for light or they move light to RT and put Seabass at LT. He was definitely a great pick by BB and will be the future of our O-line which is encouraging. The only ? I have on him though is I only saw him pass blocking and I am not sure if he has been able to stay low enough of running plays yet but we will have to see.

If you watch the 4th and inches play Vollmer lined up as the LT and Light was the TE to Vollmer's left and Vollmer got beat. He looked like he got served.

I like the kid and wish him well, but on that one play he could beat.
If he handled his blocking assignment I believe they convert the 4th.

He just got pushed backwards into his man and forced Maroney (I think?) to cut back early and this bought enough time for the D line to crash.

I'm glad to hear others say he fared well in other situations.

i saw 2-3 times that Light came in as the eligible 3rd TE.
and then after the play, Light goes to the sideline.

so Vollmer got 2-3 snaps in each time.

it was kinda weird hearing the ref announce that 72 is now eligible.

-- FRITZ

I think Vollmer's pass blocking is far ahead of his run blocking at this point. They have run off him in the preseason (and once yesterday as mentioned above) for short yardage and he's whiffed. However, I remember him absolutely mauling one of the Bills DEs on an outside rush, something you just don't get from Light.

it was kinda weird hearing the ref announce that 72 is now eligible.

-- FRITZ

That is how we got 7 OL in there. That is the respect we have for Schobel.

If you watch the 4th and inches play Vollmer lined up as the LT and Light was the TE to Vollmer's left and Vollmer got beat. He looked like he got served.

I like the kid and wish him well, but on that one play he could beat.
If he handled his blocking assignment I believe they convert the 4th.

Pretty much every one of the O-Line members got beat on that play.

On Taylor's TD Light flipped over and lined up as a TE outside Kaczur, they ran Taylor right through there. Dante always works his #3 OT into the game in the early part of the season to expose him to game conditions and make sure he's got the right #3, the Buffalo game was no exception.

Pretty much every one of the O-Line members got beat on that play.
NO there was a wide open hole between RG and Center. As the power run went left over the two left tackles.

NO there was a wide open hole between RG and Center. As the power run went left over the two left tackles.

The hole between the RG and Center as only there after the DT came through.

We have some competition at tackle it seems. Matt Light will step up hopefully and we'll be better for it all. Kaczur had a good game ... rather unsung IMO as he was very stout as they say.

Speaking of Laurence running. Some have speculated that we must be giving away some sign. But the way the run is staged gives it away. Maroney is positioned very deep, much deeper than he is when preparing to do blitz pickup.

No one ever wants to criticize Brady unnecessarily but his hand offs are now very poor. He reaches way out exposing the ball and play, and the direction of the play by his arm position.

The QB Coach needs to spend some time with Brady, on reviewing proper hand off technique. Brady in his early career was a superb hand off QB, shielding the ball and doing the same exact motion on hand offs as he did on his play action fakes.

Now-a-days the two motions are quite separate and distinct. This telegraphs to the Defense that a run is coming, and where it is going.

The Pats rush Offense was top five last season under Cassel; under Brady we struggle to get 70 yards and a 3.2 ypc average....

Speaking of Laurence running. Some have speculated that we must be giving away some sign. But the way the run is staged gives it away. Maroney is positioned very deep, much deeper than he is when preparing to do blitz pickup.

No one ever wants to criticize Brady unnecessarily but his hand offs are now very poor. He reaches way out exposing the ball and play, and the direction of the play by his arm position.

The QB Coach needs to spend some time with Brady, on reviewing proper hand off technique. Brady in his early career was a superb hand off QB, shielding the ball and doing the same exact motion on hand offs as he did on his play action fakes.

Now-a-days the two motions are quite separate and distinct. This telegraphs to the Defense that a run is coming, and where it is going.

The Pats rush Offense was top five last season under Cassel; under Brady we struggle to get 70 yards and a 3.2 ypc average....

Great points here.
I am going to re-watch the game and watch his hand off techniques.

Was it like this for the Chiefs game last year and against the Giants?
Or is this a recent rust related issue vs a recent Brady trend?

Great points here.
I am going to re-watch the game and watch his hand off techniques.

Was it like this for the Chiefs game last year and against the Giants?
Or is this a recent rust related issue vs a recent Brady trend?

Brady used to be second to Manning and maybe,Chad pennington,with ball fakes......not anymore,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back