PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vollmer almost got Brady killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't looked at it in a game or two so there may have been a change, but the last time I'd checked, the numbers for the running game were clearly better center-right than they've been center-left.

Having just looked at the numbers for Maroney, it continues to be the case, at least for him:

Wide right: 3.5
Right: 4.1
Middle: 5.6
Left: 3.1
Wide Left: 2.7

Laurence Maroney - New England Patriots - Situational Statistics - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Kaczur is a good run blocker. Unfortunately he plays with lean and gets stuck over his feet on pass protection. That is not going to change. Volmer is a very balanced player with some other attributes, which help him at this stage of his career. At this point Kazcur is part of the problem not the solution. Excuse me for seeming somewhat argumentative, it's just you had a good post to quote to make a point. Kazcur sucks, good pick up in the 3rd though for what we got out of him.

Play until the whistle is blown. Especially when your QB's still in the pocket and already injured.

In this league, playing until the whistle is blown will get you an unnecessary roughness penalty.

Rookie mistake, or lack of effort?

On the big hit on Brady, Volmer had help and successfully blocked the rusher. Brady still couldnt find anyone. Volmer then stopped altogether and let the rusher run straight at Brady and get a clean hit. Ouch. Not something you should ever be doing... but especially when your QB is injured already and playing with a cracked finger, hurt shoulder, and hurt ribs.

What happened on that play? I'm thinking Volmer probably thought the play was already over and he stopped trying

is every bad play by a player now going to be debated as a lack of effort now at this of the season just because it has been a crappy few weeks ? light has 'almost got brady killed' for many yrs and so have many tackles in the league. Why are we so reactionary i dont know.
just a bad play..

is every bad play by a player now going to be debated as a lack of effort now at this of the season just because it has been a crappy few weeks ? light has 'almost got brady killed' for many yrs and so have many tackles in the league. Why are we so reactionary i dont know.
just a bad play..

It was a fundamental error and one that should have never happened. You never quit on the play, regardless of what your man is trying to sell you. That is high school football, and should have never happened and based on how hard Peppers hit Brady, the potential for serious injury was there.

Kaczur is a good run blocker. Unfortunately he plays with lean and gets stuck over his feet on pass protection. That is not going to change. Volmer is a very balanced player with some other attributes, which help him at this stage of his career. At this point Kazcur is part of the problem not the solution. Excuse me for seeming somewhat argumentative, it's just you had a good post to quote to make a point. Kazcur sucks, good pick up in the 3rd though for what we got out of him.

Kaczur doesn't suck. He's not a great player, but there really is an area between "Greatest ever" and "sucks". Belichick certainly thought well enough of him to give him a multi-year extension.

Last edited:
In this league, playing until the whistle is blown will get you an unnecessary roughness penalty.

Well it CAN get you an unnecessary roughness call.
But I see your point.
Hey, the kid just had a momentary brain dump.
Waddaryagonnado?

If he had eyes in the back of his head I could see it being a problem, but Brady was on the move and Vollmer had no idea what was going on until he turned around.

So OLinemen should stop blocking as soon as their back in turned to the QB? No.

These excuses are terrible. I'm sure BB will rip Volmer a new one over that during film sessions this week.

And Letting a Dlineman getting a free run at your already injured QB will get Hoyer some playing time.

Remember, this is all from a guy who is relatively new to the game. He didn't start playing until he was 14 and Houston/Conference USA were hardly pro football factories.

I think given his experience level, he's played outstanding.

Mental miscues can be corrected with coaching. The pure domination we've seen on occasion...that's just beautiful.

Remember, this is all from a guy who is relatively new to the game. He didn't start playing until he was 14 and Houston/Conference USA were hardly pro football factories.

I think given his experience level, he's played outstanding.

Mental miscues can be corrected with coaching. The pure domination we've seen on occasion...that's just beautiful.

He's what, 25 now? So you're saying it takes someone 11 years to learn how to play the offensive line? It should take like 3 - 4 months max. And where you played college ball at has nothing to do with that, the difference between C-USA and the SEC is talent.

There's a difference between what someone knows, what they actually do, and if they are even capable of doing it. Vollmer knows what to do, for whatever reason he stopped doing it. I'm sure someone talked to him.

He didn't convert over to offensive line until college. And it takes a hell of a lot longer than 3-4 months for an offensive lineman to mature.

And you're right, the difference is talent...and style of offense. And...technique.

Why do you think it's rare for rookies to come in and dominate on the offensive line? Even ones who've played since the Peewee Leagues? Especially if (according to you) it only takes a few months to become sound in your technique.

Vollmer's mistake today wasn't because he didn't know what to do. I guarantee you if he knew Brady was going to get railed he would have blocked that guy. No one needs to inform him of that. His mistake was just a poor decision, that's it.

Big football schools don't run playbooks that are any more complicated than smaller ones. I can guarantee you that there are some crappy football teams that run the same types of offense as Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oregon, Ohio State, etc. Every school has unique plays but schools don't suddenly unlock new, vastly more complicated plays just because they are in the top 25.

And I can guarantee you I could learn to play any position in football in four months or less if I can learn Calculus 4 + 12 other credits in that same time. I bet you the majority of people could. The problem is, the majority of people aren't physical monsters and gifted athletes like every NFL player. Like I said before, there is a difference from knowing what to do and being capable of doing it. Vollmer's mistake today was NOT because he didn't know he should block guys running at Brady.

If someone in the NFL doesn't know a playbook they are either incredibly lazy or just plain stupid.

Yeah, it wasn't a sack. Brady had a good 5-10 seconds running around. To me it looked like a rookie mistake more than anything else; I think it's safe to say Vollmer thought he would have already released the ball.

Calling it a lack of effort is kind of dumb.

It wasn't a mistake at all. The only way to stop Peppers after Brady moved out of the pocket was to Hold him. Brady Moved in such a way that Vollmer was no longer between Peppers and him.

Brady held the ball way too long.

Big football schools don't run playbooks that are any more complicated than smaller ones. I can guarantee you that there are some crappy football teams that run the same types of offense as Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oregon, Ohio State, etc. Every school has unique plays but schools don't suddenly unlock new, vastly more complicated plays just because they are in the top 25.

And I can guarantee you I could learn to play any position in football in four months or less if I can learn Calculus 4 + 12 other credits in that same time. I bet you the majority of people could. The problem is, the majority of people aren't physical monsters and gifted athletes like every NFL player. Like I said before, there is a difference from knowing what to do and being capable of doing it. Vollmer's mistake today was NOT because he didn't know he should block guy

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've seen on this forum, and that says a lot.

learning a football position and learning a math class are completely different things. Learning a football position is about muscle memory, and that takes time.

And yes, bigger football programs run more complicated play books.

It was hard to tell from the angle, but it appeared that Peppers moved away from Vollmer so that he couldn't be blocked. Basically, because of the direction Brady took, Peppers was able to move behind the pocket where Vollmer wasn't expecting.

I think Vollmer was more surprised at the direction Peppers took than the fact that he 'gave up.' A mistake? Yes. A 'gave up on the play?' That's not how I read it.

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've seen on this forum, and that says a lot.

You're right, that is saying a lot. The bar is raised pretty high to begin with.

It wasn't a mistake at all. The only way to stop Peppers after Brady moved out of the pocket was to Hold him. Brady Moved in such a way that Vollmer was no longer between Peppers and him.

Brady held the ball way too long.

If no one was open and no one was applying pressure to him, how did he hold onto the ball too long? Did Eli Manning hold onto it too long on the Tyree pass? You play until the whistle. Vollmer can't assume that Brady has released the ball just as Brady can't assume that no receiver will get open if he holds onto the ball another second or two.

Last edited:
I haven't looked at it in a game or two so there may have been a change, but the last time I'd checked, the numbers for the running game were clearly better center-right than they've been center-left.

Having just looked at the numbers for Maroney, it continues to be the case, at least for him:

Wide right: 3.5
Right: 4.1
Middle: 5.6
Left: 3.1
Wide Left: 2.7

Laurence Maroney - New England Patriots - Situational Statistics - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Personally, I don't think Mankins has been playing at a really high level since 2007. Or anyone on that line for that matter. Just saying that Mankins is probably the guy on the line who takes the least heat, but has just as many mistakes as the next guy.

So OLinemen should stop blocking as soon as their back in turned to the QB? No.

These excuses are terrible. I'm sure BB will rip Volmer a new one over that during film sessions this week.

And Letting a Dlineman getting a free run at your already injured QB will get Hoyer some playing time.

I still think you're Nick Kaczur's mother ... or at least his dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots