Welcome to PatsFans.com

Visiting Boston - any tips, suggestions, recommendations?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by SoCal Bong, Nov 5, 2008.

1. SoCal Bong

SoCal Bong Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My wife and I are flying up from SoCal to Boston overnight on Wednesday the 12th, checking into the Hotel Marlowe (in Cambridge) on the morning of the 13th, going to the Pats - Jets game that afternoon and evening. On Sunday the 16th we move to the Sheraton Commander (also in Cambridge) and are staying there til Tuesday afternoon when we fly home.

On Monday I am planning to spend the whole day at Patriot Place, mostly the Hall. Aside from that and the game, we're wide open.

Is anything going on that weekend that we should check out?

What kind of weather should we expect?

Any good sports bars in the Harvard area to watch Sunday football? My wife will be in conferences all day so I'll be flying solo. If anyone is interested in meeting up let me know.

2. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +693 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Hi, SCB. Sorry not to have responded to this earlier, but I've been busy. Here are some first thoughts.

You don't say what you (and your wife) like and whether you know Boston/Cambridge, so my thoughts aren't too focused.

I'm not sure what counts as a "sports bar" and what is just a bar (with sports) but my favourite that is somewhat close to where you'll be is

The Thirsty Scholar (Thirsty Scholar Pub - Somerville, MA)

It's about a mile or so from your hotel and has excellent beer, lots of TVs, good food, a lively atmosphere but doesn't get too full.

If that's too far for you, there's Charlie's Kitchen in the Square or John Harvard's. Either of those are pretty good places, although I don't know how many TVs they have and what range of games they'll be showing.

There's a place called Spirit up Mass. Ave. that bills itself as a sports bar and has a good rep., although I've never been to it.

Home

To do? Well, the Museum of Science and Aquarium downtown are great (I think that your first hotel is close to the MOS). Duck tours (if they're running). At Harvard, the glass flowers are truly amazing. Then Boston is a great town for music.

Post what you like in the way of food, music and entertainment and I'll see what I can suggest.

Gotta run ... Mike

3. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

For Sunday football The Sports Depot in Allston is awesome, good food and wall to wall TVs. Great game day atmosphere. Just hop in a cab and tell them Sports Depot, they should know where it is (it is at the very beginning of Harvard Ave in Allston if they don't know, intersecting with I think Cambridge Street).

Museum of science is cool, the aquarium is small but OK. I like going to faneuil hall/quincy market, lots of little stores/stands, and then crossing the street into the North End for dinner, or at least some coffee and desserts. Its pretty cool to walk around in there too, feels like a whole different place from the rest of the city.

If you have time and the skies are clear I used to like to take people to the top of the hub at the top of the prudential center. Not sure if it is open but instead of paying to go to the observation deck we'd go to the restaurant instead. They used to have a fancy restaurant up there that was overpriced, but they also had a lounge where you could get drinks and apps/desserts and check out the city from above.

Fenway does tours, not sure if those are any good, duck tours are always popular, and there are also historical walking tours of the freedom trail if you want to learn about the history of the city.

Lots of options, it really depends on what your interests are!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. SoCal Bong

SoCal Bong Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the suggestions. Flying out tonight and really looking forward to it.