Welcome to PatsFans.com

Vinnie to sign here...again

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Pats726, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Per Reiss..looks like VinnieT will be signing soon to joing the team....
  2. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

3. dalero

dalero PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I like it. An extra coach that the players have seemed to really bond to. If Brady goes down in week three he's not bringing us to the promised land though.
  4. rabthepat

rabthepat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Between Vinnie, Troy, Seau, Chad Brown our average player age is going to jump 10 years.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  5. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +59 / 2 / -0

I can't help but think of the heated debate last season when some suggested Vinnie's experience was a good thing and a benefit to Brady - quite a few vehemently denied such a suggestion but it seems clear he's very much valued.

The real impact of this is that it looks like the team will carry 3 QBs - which tightens competition significantly at other positions... 3 QBs, a potential 6 WRs is going to push some good people off the roster if that's what goes down.
  6. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -4

Not surprising news considered that he never cleaned out his locker and he has been showing up at Pats practices. Welcome back Vinny. The Pats get a veteran backup at what I trust will be a very reasonable price.
  7. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I dunno - I think a healthy Troy Brown can still play. I'm beginning to fear Vinny has become Bill's binky...unless of course Vinnie signs his contract and then immediately goes on PUP.

Unless they already determined that Gutierrez is camp fodder or a slam dunk to make it to the PS, that kid now has little incentive to compete on this roster 'cause there is no way they carry 4 QB's. Perhaps Vinny is overstating the situation a tad and he may be cut to the shadow roster at the tail end of camp. It's not like Bill to show his hand, or have players making pronouncements about how they are coming back after two a days. Heck, Troy is back yet he pays the approptiate lip service to yet earning his roster spot.

Vinny hasn't had a remotely good season in years now. He never really had that many good seasons. He has 9 more TD's than INT's in a career spanning 20 years...I can see bringing him in to camp given our plethora of WR, and adding him on down the stretch as a sounding board, but wasting a roster spot on him out of the gate seems a bit much.
  8. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

BB wants unibrow to get a ring...
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +260 / 9 / -26

I am surprised he signed this early in the season, usually he waits until the last quarter of the season.. without regard more quality depth for this team.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  10. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

One of the good things about signing Vinny is that you have someone who has seen everything. He's the kind of guy who can do a job for a quarter if Tom goes down with a sprained wrist, for example. I wouldn't want him or Cassel for a full season, but then it's practically impossible to have two starting calibre QBs on the roster with the salary cap.
  11. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +59 / 2 / -0

Please clarify for me again... Do PUP players count on the 53 man roster? If not I like this idea as Vinnie gets a full season salary, is held on ice for a few weeks until later in the season when BB wants the security of a veteran on the roster like last season. Of course that would mean coming up with a fake injury, something that's never been done in the history of the NFL, but it is possible. ;)

"Hi - I'd like to introduce your eyebrows... Oh! I see they've already met!"
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  12. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

haha, nice.

Why does Vinny want to skip 2-a-days? What a slacker :)
  13. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +284 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd much rather see Vinnie turn up for camp when the Patriots need an arm for practices, then get cut to the "shadow roster" in case there's an injury later on.

Coming in when camp is starting to ease up doesn't seem to be the best way to use him. Let him rest during the season!