PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vincent Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing job the coaches did with him and Hamilton in relatively short time.
VV has a lot of upside if injuries don't stop him.
He has some rare features for DT and could even become a star playmaker.

ps
I can still remember how mad this board went upon drafting him (i even called for a hooker..)
The next minute though his name and his face .. and some exciting moves on his showreel .. made him a binkie
But I never would've thought he would make guys like Knighton redundant in just a few months.

Lets hope he can quickly resume his good work and no nagging injuries in the future.

vincent valentine.......vincent vega.......same thing

giphy.gif

I was surprised by Valentine's performance in the passing game. While he's not exactly explosive off the snap like Easley he's had a certain measure of success bringing pressure. I remember after the draft that Rich Hill I think described Valentine as pretty athletic considering his size and on the field it shows. Of course he still has a lot to learn. Sometimes experienced offensive linemen can apply his aggressiveness against him and use his own strength to take him out of the picture, but he certainly has potential.

Thus far hes been a pretty solid pick.

Hopefully the back injury is just a tweak and not something serious. It would be a shame an injury would derail an otherwise strong start to his rookie year.

ps
I can still remember how mad this board went upon drafting him (i even called for a hooker..)

Yeah, the early returns for this draft class have been an exercise in humility for the PatsFans community. The picks the board hated the most -- Valentine, Karras, Thuney, Roberts -- are off to particularly good starts.

Amazing job the coaches did with him and Hamilton in relatively short time.
VV has a lot of upside if injuries don't stop him.
He has some rare features for DT and could even become a star playmaker.

ps
The next minute though his name and his face .. and some exciting moves on his showreel .. made him a binkie
But I never would've thought he would make guys like Knighton redundant in just a few months.

Lets hope he can quickly resume his good work and no nagging injuries in the future.

Well..........?

Did you get the hooker?

Well the one thing i noted about Valentine when i scouted him is he fits a rare type. He was only 1 of 3 big DTs to come out and have any notoriety when it came to the 320+ lb and good phone booth quickness club.

When it comes to players with his measurable usually there are only 1-3 a year when i looked back. While that alone didn't sell me on him it caught my interest and these types are not common and not every team has one.

So far he has done well and I am happy with the pick. He has a ton of upside and I hope he can be another Brown. When it comes to at this point I think he is ahead of where Brown was game 5 but I don't feel confident saying that for sure and would like another opinion.

Edit: Shoot I forgot to do a celebration for my 7000th post :p I like to do something every 1000 but have been slacking.

Last edited:
Yeah, the early returns for this draft class have been an exercise in humility for the PatsFans community. The picks the board hated the most -- Valentine, Karras, Thuney, Roberts -- are off to particularly good starts.
Valentine was disliked. The rest was well received. I remember Thuney pick being praised.

Cyrus Jones has been the only disappointment so far.

Valentine was disliked. The rest was well received. I remember Thuney pick being praised.

Cyrus Jones has been the only disappointment so far.

Huh, I remember it very differently -- that Valentine was the #1 whipping boy, but only Jones, Mitchell, and to some degree Grugier-Hill and Lucien were well-received picks. (With Thuney it was mostly a positional issue, that we were supposedly stacked at OG and needed a pure tackle.)

Most people here that felt like grading Pats 2016 draft were around letter C. They were ironically in sync with media graders.

I wonder what the grade would be now .. knowing that we actually needed another QB, that Thuney and Valentine are considered top rookie choices at their respective positions, that Mitchell - even with a brace on - swept away all the “plethora of WR prospects“, that Elandon Roberts is emerging as serious LB option now and for the future, that Karras survived all roster cuts also vs ex 1st rounder Cooper and is seen as solid backup at G and C, that Lucien is still with the team and KGH is on Philly 53 as core STer.

The one pick that was best received - the top draft choice of Cyrus Jones - is the only looking shaky at the moment. That will change once he lets things come his way Im sure ..

I remember someone mentioning on here during the draft how Valentine was injured a lot in college?

Delighted to hear that another one of our rookies is having a pretty productive year thus far....

Congrats #99...keep it up...

Wow, that's a headline I would not have guessed was coming. Good work by Valentine, hope he's back on the field soon.

Most people here that felt like grading Pats 2016 draft were around letter C. They were ironically in sync with media graders.

I wonder what the grade would be now .. knowing that we actually needed another QB, that Thuney and Valentine are considered top rookie choices at their respective positions, that Mitchell - even with a brace on - swept away all the “plethora of WR prospects“, that Elandon Roberts is emerging as serious LB option now and for the future, that Karras survived all roster cuts also vs ex 1st rounder Cooper and is seen as solid backup at G and C, that Lucien is still with the team and KGH is on Philly 53 as core STer.

The one pick that was best received - the top draft choice of Cyrus Jones - is the only looking shaky at the moment. That will change once he lets things come his way Im sure ..

My recollection is a little different, in that I remember there being more excitement around Mitchell and Thuney than Jones, but I agree with your overall point. Given that our first rounder was stolen, I think Thuney, Valentine and Mitchell's play so far already represents getting more from this draft class than we could've reasonably expected at this point. Roberts is pretty much house money, if he continues to produce it could make for a strong draft class even without a first round pick.

Huh, I remember it very differently -- that Valentine was the #1 whipping boy, but only Jones, Mitchell, and to some degree Grugier-Hill and Lucien were well-received picks. (With Thuney it was mostly a positional issue, that we were supposedly stacked at OG and needed a pure tackle.)

I remember some people having a melt down about what a fat piece of useless **** Valentine was.. I didn't know enough about him because I don't dive as heavily into the draft scouting as some of our other posters, so I didn't have a strong opinion one way or another, but I do remember some people saying what a waste of a pick he was

I remember someone mentioning on here during the draft how Valentine was injured a lot in college?

Not sure who said that but they were wrong

13 (out of 13) games his freshmen year
13 (out of 13) games his sophomore year
10 (out of 13) games his junior year (missed 3 games due to an ankle injury)

Skipped his senior year to enter the NFL.

Despite games played, injuries seemed to play a role in limiting his production. Which probably the only way we were able to grab him anyway. NE takes those injury risks more than most other teams, but we don't need sure things, we need high upside players that can crack the roster.

NFL scouting report.
Valentine's career showed real promise at times, yet was marked by inconsistency and injury. He played in all 13 games as a redshirt freshman in 2013, getting a starting call six times (the first four, and the final two) in order to make 21 tackles, five for loss and a sack. In the Illinois high school all-state pick’s sophomore season, it looked like the consistency was coming as he started 11 times, recording 45 stops, seven for loss, and three sacks in the middle. A knee injury slowed him down during his fourth and final year on campus, limiting him to seven starts, 10 tackles, four for loss, and three sacks. Instead of returning to school to prove himself to scouts, Valentine chose to leave early for the NFL with his diploma in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes