PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork Reps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
so, ive been noticing recently how much Vince has been on the field...this trend started last year, but the deal is the last two years he has been a 3-down player, and used as a pass rusher

is this because this season at least we have had many injuries to our interior DL (DT's per say) and that is the reason? Wilfork is a great player, but he is NOT a stellar pass rusher on 3rd down, and should NOT be there on 3rd down

1 reason for this is because i want him at full health for the playoffs, i do NOT want a worned down Wilfork if we can help it

2nd reason is simply because I want to see what our other DT's can do rushing the passer, Wilfork is not that great, so I see this as a chance to give other guys a chance

I will be happy when Wilfork no longer is on the field for obvious passing downs, even though i love the player himself

help in on the way with players comming of the injured list in the comming weeks.

Wilfork is a great player, but he is NOT a stellar pass rusher on 3rd down, and should NOT be there on 3rd down
Wilfork himself isn't a pass-rushing lineman, but that's not how a pass-rush works. He demands blocking, usually by 2 OL, which frees up other players. If you just put 4 Mark Anderson's (or hell, even Freeney's) out there on the line, you wouldn't magically have a tremendous pass rush. It's about creating mis-matches and freeing guys up to make plays, whether they be DLs, LBs, or DBs. I'm sure Wilfork is out there for a reason... he's our best defensive lineman period.

befor they got Haynesworth wilfork was the only guy that could push the pocket

when you are trying to run block against him, you need two guys....when you're trying to simply stop him from going by you, ONE o-lineman can usually handle the job against wilfork

Big V is a "well conditioned athlete". No worry's..

Big V is a "well conditioned athlete". No worry's..

Guy his size aren't meant to play 95% of the snaps, no matter how you spin it. Especially a guy who gets double teamed as often as he does. We need him fresh for the run to #4.

All his reps do make you wonder about injury or just wearing down by the end of the year

All his reps do make you wonder about injury or just wearing down by the end of the year

You just look at him, the guy is an absolute load. His knees take a pounding throughout the season. Every snap he rests is one more snap he can play in the playoffs.

Vince is the absolute best 1st round pick we have made in the last 10 years......great player.....great attitude....and....he produces......But....we need to get him some rest....come on Brace!!!

You just look at him, the guy is an absolute load. His knees take a pounding throughout the season. Every snap he rests is one more snap he can play in the playoffs.

Couldn't agree more, and thats pretty much what I was trying to say (without actually saying it) A guy who is 350lbs shouldn't be on the field as much as he is.

If I'm BB I tell Big Vince, "Look Big Guy, on your next INT don't run it in for a pick six. Save the knees and just down it right there. Besides you're making the WRs wicked pissed with your better YAC numbers. Take the knee, rest and be ready for the playoffs."

Last edited:
He is in there on passing downs because he anticipates the QB and positions for an INT better than any of our DBs.

Couldn't agree more, and thats pretty much what I was trying to say (without actually saying it) A guy who is 350lbs shouldn't be on the field as much as he is.

I mean, it's a testament for how tough he is and how well conditioned he is for a guy his size. But end of the day you gotta be smart with him. I'm sure once we get Brace back and what not his reps will decline a bit. Hopefully.

Fortunately, he's also practiced at CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes