PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork on the Pollard hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/09/wilfork_passion.html
Wilfork passionate about Pollard's hit
Email|Link|Comments (6) Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff September 8, 2008 04:37 PM
FOXBOROUGH – Nose tackle Vince Wilfork spoke passionately today about the Bernard Pollard hit that knocked Tom Brady out for the season.

Wilfork was fined last season for a hit on Bills quarterback J.P. Losman, and he was asked how fine a line it is between trying to make a play, and being fined for an illegal hit.

“Last year, I was there, I was tripped up and falling and I still got fined and flagged for the same exact thing. But I was tripped up. I didn’t dive at anyone’s legs, I didn’t cut a running back getting to a quarterback. And when I got fined last year, they said I got flagged because you’re not allowed to hit a quarterback below the waist,” Wilfork said.

“You take it for what it’s worth. I’ve been in that same position and been flagged and fined for it, so whatever happens, happens. I’m very interested to see what happens.”

Wilfork was then informed that the NFL ruled the hit legal.

“Well, it’s a problem. It’s going to be a problem,” he said. “Like I said, I’ve been there.”

Wilfork’s emotions were building a bit, perhaps due to the scrutiny he faced last year.

“You saw what I had to go through, hitting the quarterback below the waist last year. It wasn’t my fault … but I got flagged, a 15-yard unsportsmanlike for hitting the quarterback and I got fined, no if’s, and’s or but’s about it. Like I said, it’s very interesting to see what the NFL is going to do. They know they got me last year. I’m going to be on this one.

Fair should be fair. They got me, point blank. I don’t want to get singled out. Don’t make me feel like I’m getting singled out. If you’re going to do a job, be consistent at what you do. This falls into the same category as mine, no if’s, and’s or but’s. He hit the quarterback below the waist. I hit a quarterback below the waist. I got fined. I got flagged. He didn’t get flagged. And from what I’m hearing, he didn’t get fined.

“It’s a problem. So the NFL can do what it wants to do, but it’s a problem. If you're going to make that call, be consistent with that call. He was there. He could have thrown the flag. ... We'll see where it goes. I'm [upset] about it because I've been through this."

Vince has a point. That's all I'm going to say. The lack of consistency is EYE OPENING. Did they change the rule?:confused:

No, they just decided that because it was done TO a Patriot rather than BY a Patriot, it was "clean."
You guys haven't seen the addendum to all rules in the NFL rulebook as well as all bylaws? Rules only apply when the Patriots commit them, not when commited against the Patriots. Good grief.

This is trully an outrage and I hope Vince and the patriots don't let this one go lightly. I'm so sick and f'ing tired of taking the high road. SCREW THE NFL!

You guys haven't seen the addendum to all rules in the NFL rulebook as well as all bylaws? Rules only apply when the Patriots commit them, not when commited against the Patriots. Good grief.

This is trully an outrage and I hope Vince and the patriots don't let this one go lightly. I'm so sick and f'ing tired of taking the high road. SCREW THE NFL!

u know, that is very good way of putting...

the Pats owe nothing to the NFL...why do they keep on taking the high road? by now if they wanted to teh Pats could have roasted the NFL on Spygate, and this hit, and many "incorectly" called games including the pats (especially in the playoffs)

man ohh man i cant wait for the day the pats strike back

That really is messed up. Vince was unfairly accused of making a cheap shot when he clearly wasn't because like he said the NFL singled him out. That's a pretty heavy accusation towards a player who those that know more than what you see in the media knows is a class act. The inconsistency is definitely frustrating here.

i understand their frustration but right now its time to move on. its done . what the heck can a penalty and a fine do ?more they linger on what it coudlve been more they stay in the present. just forget it . no point calling it dirty and prolonging the story in the media. next he will be asked about this every interview and the story prolongs. thats why i like BB's theory. Dont say anything and let the story die down.

Yeah I have never believed that hit by Wilfork was intentional. If you have ever heard him on WEEI he is a down to earth stand up guy and he was personally offended that people would regard him as a dirty player.

He makes a good point. If Wilfork's hit was illegal, then Pollard's definitely is. The NFL is a joke with how they enforce rules.

i understand their frustration but right now its time to move on. its done . what the heck can a penalty and a fine do ?more they linger on what it coudlve been more they stay in the present. just forget it . no point calling it dirty and prolonging the story in the media. next he will be asked about this every interview and the story prolongs. thats why i like BB's theory. Dont say anything and let the story die down.

I think you are right. But the guy is human. If something like that happened to me, I would have the same reaction. NO ONE likes to feel that they have been treated unfairly.

u are right...but i want pollard fined (he should have been flagged...cant cahnge that) not b/c of brady, but b/c of wilfork...

Pollard better hope he never has to face the Patriots again in his career.

Both hits were legit. It's tackle football. Wilfy shouldn't have been fined.

It's not really about paying the fine, but the fact that there was a fine sparked some undeserved discussion about Wilfork and I'm sure it does mean something to him. It's just unfairly incriminating. For example I was arguing with some obnoxious Steeler fans about this and they said "Well I dont remember Kimo being fined" :rolleyes:

The Colts rules committee has destroyed league integrity and fairness.

It does not matter if it was dirty or not, the rule states that '' any hit to a QB below the knee is illegal and an automatic fine ''. I guess the rules only apply when it's not a Patriot.

I know a little fine won't bring Brady back but this blatant ''screw the Pats '' rulebook is just a joke and an embarrassment. If this happened to Peyton Manning by a Patriot what would happen then???

If Pollard got flagged he would have been fined. Because he did not get flagged the NFL did not want to make the officials look like idiots and go off telling them they did their job wrong in public.

Ever see the NFLN show when Mike Pereira to talk about penalties? He never says the wrong call was made when some of them are pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:
pollard's hit looks more intentional than wilforks when you really look at them.

but there's still some gray area of whether he was under his own power or not, at least from the officials point of view.

i'm okay with him not getting the fine. i want the next few weeks to be about cassel succeeding. i've had enough of playing the poor victimized new england fan.

I have to go with Vince on this one. As far as the hit, it didn't seem like anything too malicious, but Big Vince is 100% correct on this one. Be consistent with everyone, so the message is sent and players are more conscious of it. Apparently, there are two sets of rules that apply here and the NFL is making that abundantly clear.

The Colts rules committee has destroyed league integrity and fairness.

It does not matter if it was dirty or not, the rule states that '' any hit to a QB below the knee is illegal and an automatic fine ''. I guess the rules only apply when it's not a Patriot.

I know a little fine won't bring Brady back but this blatant ''screw the Pats '' rulebook is just a joke and an embarrassment. If this happened to Peyton Manning by a Patriot what would happen then???

Not just a fine, but a suspension.

This really pisses me off.

I think the NFL really hates the Patriots.

For them to fine Vince and not to Fine Pollard is BS.

No consistancy. This rule was put in for this exact reason and yet nothing.:mad::mad::mad:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/09/wilfork_passion.html

Vince has a point. That's all I'm going to say. The lack of consistency is EYE OPENING. Did they change the rule?:confused:
Here are the two incidents....
Wilfork....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3POT8n2Qk3g
Looks to me like Wilfork intentionally went after the knee. A case can be made that Wilfork was trying to break his fall after being blocked toward Lossman. If you believe that you probably believe OJ didn't kill Nicole and Ron.
Pollard...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnHcSujDMh4
Looks to me like Pollard launched himself at Brady's knee (kind of reminds me of the time Rodney (when he was with the Chargers- in the PreSeason no less) lanched himself at Trent Green's (when he was the Rams' starting QB) knee and ended his season (giving Kurt Warner a chance to run the "Greatest Show on Turf"). A case can be made that his intended flight was toward Brady's waist and he was redirected by Morris. I don't know but I can understand why officials would see it that way.

Last edited:
Here are the two incidents....
Wilfork....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3POT8n2Qk3g
Looks to me like Wilfork intentionally went after the knee. A case can be made that Wilfork was trying to break his fall after being blocked toward Lossman. If you believe that you probably believe OJ didn't kill Nicole and Ron.

He could have been bracing for the fall and last second decided to try to nudge Losman (above the waist). He started high and was falling, a lot easier to attempt high and accidently hit low while falling.

Pollard...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnHcSujDMh4
Looks to me like Pollard launched himself at Brady's knee (kind of reminds me of the time Rodney (when he was with the Chargers- in the PreSeason no less) lanched himself at Trent Green's (when he was the Rams' starting QB) knee and ended his season (giving Kurt Warner a chance to run the "Greatest Show on Turf"). A case can be made that his intended flight was toward Brady's waist and he was redirected by Morris. I don't know but I can understand why officials would see it that way.

Nope, no case can be made for that all. No way in hell. He turned himself into a missile and lunged at Brady's knee, end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes