PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vinatieri lies to Globe and MacMullen ignores it

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this got talked about, but Vinatieri claims that the Pats could ahve signed him at any point last year, yet they didn't, so they are to blame.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...2006/08/10/vinatieri_shunned_patriots/?page=3
Adam Vinatraitor said:
``The Patriots had plenty of chances to sign me," he said. ``All that day, when I was negotiating with Indianapolis, I still was in contact with the Patriots. But I didn't share with them what teams were bidding with me, or for how much. I was a free agent. That's what free agency is all about.
``They had so many chances to sign me. They had my whole franchise year [in 2004], and this past season, and the early part of the offseason.

My only problem with this claim is that Vinatieri's agent, Neil Cornich, was suspended by the NFLPA prior to the start of the season and Vinatieri didn't name a new one until this off-season. So, Adam, if you didn't have an agent, how could the Pats have negotiated with you.

The other thing that I don't understand is that the article claims that Jonathan Hurst was Vinatieri's agent. Yet, during the whole set or articles during the off-season, we were told that it was Neil Cornich.

Anyways, Vinatraitor just needs to STFU and go on with his life in Dolts land because he won't make the Hall of Fame now that he's become a wimp and gone to a Dome stadium.

Vinatraitor thinks he's so cool with how he played the FA game. He's still pissed about the Franchise thing and he's cut off his nose to spite his face on this.

Last edited:
That's free agency?

Adam, that's NOT free agency. Ask the Postons. You drive your value up by citing "mystery teams" to get others to bid higher.

Adam V. is a dork.
This season should be a wakeup call to him going from the ultimate TEAM to the team that can't win the ultimate.

He really has been a first class jerk since leaving..funny how no one knew who is agent was all that time..claiming it was xxx and now he says it was y...I don't think he ever wished to sign here..NOT at all.

Lets see where this kick ends up?

Ok, maybe they know Adam as good as we do? :cool:

Lets try it again...I say the 14

whoops! ten

pats1 said:
That's free agency?

Adam, that's NOT free agency. Ask the Postons. You drive your value up by citing "mystery teams" to get others to bid higher.

You are correct, sir.

Thanks, Vinitraitor, for giving me another reason to despise you.

He should show some modesty and shut up.

The Vinitrator is dead to me

DaBruinz said:
Not sure if this got talked about, but Vinatieri claims that the Pats could ahve signed him at any point last year, yet they didn't, so they are to blame.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...2006/08/10/vinatieri_shunned_patriots/?page=3

My only problem with this claim is that Vinatieri's agent, Neil Cornich, was suspended by the NFLPA prior to the start of the season and Vinatieri didn't name a new one until this off-season. So, Adam, if you didn't have an agent, how could the Pats have negotiated with you.

The other thing that I don't understand is that the article claims that Jonathan Hurst was Vinatieri's agent. Yet, during the whole set or articles during the off-season, we were told that it was Neil Cornich.

Anyways, Vinatraitor just needs to STFU and go on with his life in Dolts land because he won't make the Hall of Fame now that he's become a wimp and gone to a Dome stadium.

It's no surprise you would call Adam a liar when you have no basis in fact. You do it to folks here all the time. So perhaps the problem is within you.

First off there is no rule that stipulates you need to have an agent to negotiate a contract. Tedy doesn't have one (for that purpose). The only rule is that if you do have representation it must be an agent recognized by the NFLPA. And Hurst was Cornrich's "associate" who was representing Adam and several of Neil's other clients during his bosses suspension, although it's not clear in Adam's case if/when the arrangement with Hurst ever became official or was officially ended. During or after the visit in GB where the Packers GM has now said they were interested in making an offer but could not get a contract figure out of Hurst, Adam signed on with Willie's agent and they contacted Indy.

Pioli and Belichick saw Adam almost daily in season. If they had any questions about his representation they could have taken those concerns to him. If they were believed he was not being officially represented they could have talked to him at any time about a deal. In fact I'm sure they could have any way given the relationship between Cornrich and Belichick. The issue wasn't access, it was length of contract and signing bonus. They reportedly began increasing their offer when the news of his visit to GB broke. They had apparently not come up to what Indy offered in length and bonus by the time he signed there 48 hours later. You snooze you loose.

MoLewisrocks said:
It's no surprise you would call Adam a liar when you have no basis in fact. You do it to folks here all the time. So perhaps the problem is within you.

First off there is no rule that stipulates you need to have an agent to negotiate a contract. Tedy doesn't have one (for that purpose). The only rule is that if you do have representation it must be an agent recognized by the NFLPA. And Hurst was Cornrich's "associate" who was representing Adam and several of Neil's other clients during his bosses suspension, although it's not clear in Adam's case if/when the arrangement with Hurst ever became official or was officially ended. During or after the visit in GB where the Packers GM has now said they were interested in making an offer but could not get a contract figure out of Hurst, Adam signed on with Willie's agent and they contacted Indy.

Pioli and Belichick saw Adam almost daily in season. If they had any questions about his representation they could have taken those concerns to him. If they were believed he was not being officially represented they could have talked to him at any time about a deal. In fact I'm sure they could have any way given the relationship between Cornrich and Belichick. The issue wasn't access, it was length of contract and signing bonus. They reportedly began increasing their offer when the news of his visit to GB broke. They had apparently not come up to what Indy offered in length and bonus by the time he signed there 48 hours later. You snooze you loose.

Did you read the article?

Adam said that he had to CHANGE his agent for teams to take him serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
``A lot of teams had the misconception of, `Adam Vinatieri isn't going anywhere,' " Vinatieri said. ``It was a problem.

``That's why I switched agents. Once I did that, people started saying, `I guess he really is willing to listen.' People needed to know I was serious about seeing what was out there. Once teams truly believed I might be available, the phone started ringing off the hook."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is that part of the article...Sorry mo but you should have read the article before you attacked a poster you generally disagree with.

Last edited:
mgcolby said:
``A lot of teams had the misconception of, `Adam Vinatieri isn't going anywhere,' " Vinatieri said. ``It was a problem.

``That's why I switched agents. Once I did that, people started saying, `I guess he really is willing to listen.' People needed to know I was serious about seeing what was out there. Once teams truly believed I might be available, the phone started ringing off the hook."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is that part of the article...Sorry mo but you should have read the article before you attacked a poster you generally disagree with.

I did read it this AM when it was posted in another Adam thread. DB's calling Adam a liar is based on DB's belief that not having an agent was what precluded the team from negotiating with Adam in 2005. My point is either he did (and the problem was he was an associate of Belichick's attorney Cornrich) or if he didn't there was nothing to preclude them from negotiating with him. I don't think he "signed on" with Hurst until this past off season. Team sources did hint back in 2005 after Cornrich was suspended that they were waiting for Adam to name an agent (the excuse for not getting a deal done while he was tagged). Thing is they were under no obligation to wait for an agent to be named. And it's now pretty clear they had no real interest in "negotiating".

MoLewisrocks said:
And Hurst was Cornrich's "associate" who was representing Adam and several of Neil's other clients during his bosses suspension, although it's not clear in Adam's case if/when the arrangement with Hurst ever became official or was officially ended. During or after the visit in GB where the Packers GM has now said they were interested in making an offer but could not get a contract figure out of Hurst, Adam signed on with Willie's agent and they contacted Indy.

Mo's right in that the "Adam had no agent" issue is a red herring - there were any number of ways to get around that issue.

However, Adam's previous statements - that Mo's defended - that he "couldn't" give the Patriots a chance to match the Indy offer, lest they pull the deal off the table, is bogus too.

Unless Indy was tapping Adam V's and his agent's phone, email, fax, Western Union or whatever, there was nothing stopping a final call to the Patriots to gauge their interest in matching.

The bottom line was probably that Adam V. got the deal he wanted from Indy and just wanted to be done with the process, accept it and move on. That'd be fine with me - but he should just admit it.

I don't doubt he harbored some ill will over the negotiation process itself and all things being equal didn't want to re-sign with the Patriots over what would probably be pocket change of a $100k diffrerence. Again - that's fine - he should just admit it rather than make a bogus excuse that he couldn't give the Pats a chance to match.

By the way - Adam's need to change his agent comes not from Cornrich's status - but from the fact that Cornrich's firm represented both Adam V. and Belichick - causing many teams to assume the fix was in and that he was not truly available.

The fix indeed may have been in because it did not seem like they were scouring the market on Adam's behalf.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
Mo's right in that the "Adam had no agent" issue is a red herring - there were any number of ways to get around that issue.

However, Adam's previous statements - that Mo's defended - that he "couldn't" give the Patriots a chance to match the Indy offer, lest they pull the deal off the table, is bogus too.

Unless Indy was tapping Adam V's and his agent's phone, email, fax, Western Union or whatever, there was nothing stopping a final call to the Patriots to gauge their interest in matching.

The bottom line was probably that Adam V. got the deal he wanted from Indy and just wanted to be done with the process, accept it and move on. That'd be fine with me - but he should just admit it.

I don't doubt he harbored some ill will over the negotiation process itself and all things being equal didn't want to re-sign with the Patriots over what would probably be pocket change of a $100k diffrerence. Again - that's fine - he should just admit it rather than make a bogus excuse that he couldn't give the Pats a chance to match.

Good thoughts, Joe.
In many cases, there are 3 sides to a story: yours, mine, and the truth.
My opinion in this case: A pox on both their houses!

I think it all boils down to the fact that AV was pissed he didn't have a deal in place long ago, and he felt like the pats were lowballing him becuase there we not other teams interested. (those teams under the impression that he really wasn't available) He switched agents and started getting offers....when he got an offer he wanted (from the dolts) he took it right away. This way he didn't have to deal with the pats (probably thought they would try to drag it out), finish his career in a dome, and go to a contender.

Just my $.02

I hope he enjoys being in a close game and never getting a chance to win it becuase PM can't get him into range when it counts:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes