PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vinatieri deal worth $10 million over five years

Status
Not open for further replies.

workhorse

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
"Vinatieri will get a five-year contract worth about $10 million to kick for the Indianapolis Colts, team owner Jim Irsay said Wednesday. Formal announcement of the deal has not been made, but Vinatieri, who kicked game-winning field goals in the final seconds of Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII for the New England Patriots, will replace Mike Vanderjagt."

Did the Colts still overpay if that is the case?

link

Last edited:
workhorse said:
"Vinatieri will get a five-year contract worth about $10 million to kick for the Indianapolis Colts, team owner Jim Irsay said Wednesday. Formal announcement of the deal has not been made, but Vinatieri, who kicked game-winning field goals in the final seconds of Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII for the New England Patriots, will replace Mike Vanderjagt."

Did the Colts still overpay if that is the case?

link

Depends how its structured. If its $3mm p/y at any point of that contract, then, yes, the Dolts, as usual proved they have no concept of the salary cap structure.

If the Colts think that letting Thornton, Edge and Triplett leave was a result of needing to pay Vinatieri what they did, than they overpaid BADLY.

well

I want to see how it pans out each year as a cap hit before i make a judgement. I think this is a good signing for the dolts, no matter what anyone else thinks. The dolts are in need of an accurate kicker, and indoors AV is money. He will be missed, but we will move on! I look at the bright side, we can get a kicker now than can kick from 50yards+ ! :D

Jacky Roberts said:
Depends how its structured. If its $3mm p/y at any point of that contract, then, yes, the Dolts, as usual proved they have no concept of the salary cap structure.

Everything I've read has it averaging 2.5 per year for the first three years. So that would mean it's even less the last two years of the deal.

Mooch said:
If the Colts think that letting Thornton, Edge and Triplett leave was a result of needing to pay Vinatieri what they did, than they overpaid BADLY.

This signing happened after the Colts had already made up their minds on their own players. They had no intentions on signing those guys for the money they ending up getting. Not to mention the Colts didn't even know AV was available until this past weekend, long past the time those guys had signed with other teams.

This signing happened after the Colts had already made up their minds on their own players. They had no intentions on signing those guys for the money they ending up getting. Not to mention the Colts didn't even know AV was available until this past weekend, long past the time those guys had signed with other teams.

That's pretty pathetic right there. The #1 kicker is on the free agent market and naPolian didn't even consider to inquire about him until he was approached by an agent. This while they had already decided they were not going to sign Vandershank.

Willie55 said:
That's pretty pathetic right there. The #1 kicker is on the free agent market and naPolian didn't even consider to inquire about him until he was approached by an agent. This while they had already decided they were not going to sign Vandershank.

Well, the word was he was resigning with the Pats. His previous agent wasn't letting it be know that Vinatieri was available. That is why he fired him.

workhorse said:
Everything I've read has it averaging 2.5 per year for the first three years. So that would mean it's even less the last two years of the deal.

How did they not know that AV was available? He's been a free agent for as long as the guys that LEFT the Colts. Are you saying that Vinatieri wasn't their "Plan A" in terms of free agent acquisitions?

Mooch said:
How did they not know that AV was available? He's been a free agent for as long as the guys that LEFT the Colts. Are you saying that Vinatieri wasn't their "Plan A" in terms of free agent acquisitions?

You were probably typing when I posted my previous response. They figured he was already off the market even though he hadn't signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes