PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings to LA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
National Football Post has an article that wheels may be starting to be put in motion for the Vikings moving to LA. Personally I've thought if anybody was going to move it would be Jacksonville, or possibly San Diego. With television ratings having so much influence over the NFL, I'm sure the networks would much rather have a team in LA than one of those other cities.

Vikings Loving L.A.?

The Vikings’ ownership will say all the right things publicly about their commitment to staying in Minnesota, the love for the fans, etc. However, be certain they are keeping one eye glued to what’s happening in Los Angeles, where a sparkling $800M stadium may be rising in the nation’s second-largest market.

On Tuesday, voters in Industry (not the most alluring name, no?), Calif., approved a bond on the ballot providing $150 million for infrastructure improvements at a 600-acre site where a stadium has been proposed. That news dovetails with statements from a billionaire real estate developer, Ed Roski, who says he will build it (a new stadium) if they (the NFL) come.

The Vikings are not denying the possibility of a move, making a statement more for local Minnesota officials to read than to express a public interest in Los Angeles. As reported in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the team issued the following statement: The Vikings are watching these developments with interest,” said Lester Bagley, the team’s vice president of public affairs and stadium development. “But we are currently focused on achieving a workable stadium plan to keep the Vikings here in Minnesota.” This means they are focused on staying in Minnesota until they get the deal they want. Then they are not.

LA needs a team but I would hate to the Vikings leave Minnesota. I think the the Raiders should just move back to LA if anything though the Jaguars make sense. I just the Vikings have been there so long it would be awful for their fans and after our scare I wish it happens to no-one but especially not to a team that has been there so long.

LA needs a team but I would hate to the Vikings leave Minnesota. I think the the Raiders should just move back to LA if anything though the Jaguars make sense. I just the Vikings have been there so long it would be awful for their fans and after our scare I wish it happens to no-one but especially not to a team that has been there so long.

I would think the Saints are in the mix-their lease runs out in '11(I think), and it's not like the city of New Orleans will be getting back to full strength any time soon.

I wouldn't Approve if it was the Vikings.

I've been to Minneapolis and thought it was a good size market, capable of supportting a Franchise.

Without having been to Jacksonville, or Buffalo, or Post Katrina New Orleans, I would think these Markets would have a harder time supporting their Fanchises, than Minneapolis.

I would think the Saints are in the mix-their lease runs out in '11(I think), and it's not like the city of New Orleans will be getting back to full strength any time soon.

That would be a colossal mistake IMO. I've never seen a more widespread fanbase than the Saints--almost everyone I've met down here is a fan of the Saints. Plus home games means visiting fans, which inevitably means more money for those of us working in the French Quarter--which helps our economy at least somewhat. At least, that's how I understand it.

I could see a team like the Jaguars, Panthers or maybe the Raiders moving to LA. The Bills are going to Toronto for sure, right?

Last edited:

I hope not.....because New Orleans has to be the funnest city to go on a road trip too. Granted when I went it was the Super Bowl....But I am very much looking forward to going there next year for the regular season trip down nostalgia lane....or is it called Bourbon Street:D.

I think they should embrace New Orleans more and make it the host city for the Super Bowl every year....of course they would need a new stadium for this. But who wants to go to Tampa when you could be in New Orleans. I guess that presents the problem the Saints would be guarenteed a home game if they made it.

I wouldn't Approve if it was the Vikings.

I've been to Minneapolis and thought it was a good size market, capable of supportting a Franchise.

The problem isn't the market size, it's that the people who live there don't have a lot of sympathy for pro sports owners. The Twins and the Vikings played at the old Met (i.e. Metropolitan Stadium), and went begging to the politicians that they needed a dome stadium because of weather and so they could host a Super Bowl. So the taxpayers paid for the Metrodome, which opened in 1982, and barely a decade later, both teams were complaining that they wanted to play outdoors again. Also, the Metrodome doesn't have many of the club seats and luxury boxes that makes other teams so profitable, nor can it be expanded to put more in.

Regardless of the reasons, Twin Cities folks just don't like the idea of paying for stadiums they feel the owners should pay for. Somehow the Twins got a new stadium going, I don't know the details; but as an example, the Minnesota North Stars threatened to move if they didn't get a new arena and the city said, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" and now they are the Dallas Stars.

Personally, I thought the logical choice to go to LA would have been the Cardinals (at least until they got their new stadium.) They didn't have much history in Arizona, etc. So with them out of the running I would vote for either the Chargers (who started in LA) or as was mentioned earlier, putting the Raiders back there.

But this is missing the whole point that the NFL wants to be in LA a helluva lot more than LA wants the NFL back.

Regarding New Orleans, there was this comment from the original article:

Please dont include the Saints in the have nots. They pay no rent, they get a giant check from the State every year, all their game day expenses are paid, they get all game day revenue, and they control all advertising and suite revenue in the venue.

Tom Benson is a total slime ball, but he has the best deal in the nfl, a refurbished stadium that didnt cost him one red cent, no expenses to operate said stadium, all the revenue from his events and a few others as well, and a 25m annual check that he doesnt have to share with other owners. He isnt going anywhere. No one in their right mind would give him this kind of deal in a real city.

The Bills could move, so could the Vikings, hell the Raiders could claim they still own the LA market, but please, the Saints are not going anywhere.

LA needs a team...

I don't get why this perception exists. The league's bigger than it has ever been, and this has been accomplished with no team in LA. LA couldn't hold onto two separate franchises. I hope the NFL never goes to LA again.

LA can't support a team, their teams always leave

that being said, raiders and chargers make the most sense to move back to LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back