PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings sign Longwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to see if the deal is near what Adam is looking for.

SF has just re-signed Nedney too. Kickers going quick

That blows. I liked Longwell as an AV replacement.

Longwell's numbers :

"Longwell on the move:The Vikings made the first major strike in the free-agent kicker market by reaching a five-year, $10 million deal with Packers kicker Ryan Longwell. Included in the deal is a $3 million signing bonus."

$2M a year. There's the market, Adam.

BelichickFan said:
Longwell's numbers :

"Longwell on the move:The Vikings made the first major strike in the free-agent kicker market by reaching a five-year, $10 million deal with Packers kicker Ryan Longwell. Included in the deal is a $3 million signing bonus."

$2M a year. There's the market, Adam.
With that signing, I think the Pats would need to up it a bit...if AV is going to stay. And it looks like he has ties with GB ans well as TB...NOT looking good for him staying.

Pats726 said:
With that signing, I think the Pats would need to up it a bit...if AV is going to stay. And it looks like he has ties with GB ans well as TB...NOT looking good for him staying.
$2M a year with, seemingly, $3M guaranteed is hardly a monster deal. It could be improved on and still not be a killer. Regardless, I don't want to spend $3M a year on a kicker.

BelichickFan said:
$2M a year with, seemingly, $3M guaranteed is hardly a monster deal. It could be improved on and still not be a killer. Regardless, I don't want to spend $3M a year on a kicker.
I'd have to agree with you, Vinateri is prob the best kicker in football, and we offered him a contract to make him paid higher than any other kicker, which he refused. I wudnt pay a kicker anymore than $3 a year, is there that dramatic of a difference between say Vinateri, Vanderjack, and Longwell. I'm not convinced that if either Vanderjack or Longwell (or other top tier kickers for that matter) had been on the Patriots during their super bowl runs that they cudn't have made the kicks Vinateri did.

Bucs are out of the running, having re-signed Matt Bryant. (Or are they?)

BelichickFan said:

It's not about what you want to spend, it's about what BB is willing to spend to keep a 33 year old HOF kicker held by most all to be the best clutch kicker in the game. I'd say Adam's market is about what I thought it would be - 5 years $12-13M with a $3M+ signing bonus.

Janakowski still leads the total value at $10.5, Rackers got the $3M but only in a 4/$7.5M deal. If they honestly offered Adam highest paid that's just about $2.25-2.5M. Now they just need to offer him a $3M+ signing bonus and make sure the deal is for 5 years. Had they already done that and he still chose to test the market I'd be upset with him, but they didn't.

Or we can punt, so to speak. Looks like 4 teams with double digit cap money and no kickers (plus the Colts) left and only one stud kicker on the market. If Adam gets 5/$15+M and $3-4M guaranteed I can't fault him for taking it. If he goes to someone else for 5/$12+M I will be officially pissed, but not at him.

This team has some gaping holes and serious quesion marks going forward. They also have substantial cap space. There was no need in my mind to create another where none existed for the last 10 years. Particularly not in the middle of an historic window.

Last edited:
Hmmmm....all of these kickers flying off the market. Perhaps Adam isn't as hot a comodotiy as he thought he was. Offer him somewhere between $2.5 million and $3 million. If he doesn't take it, wish him the best of luck trying to find more elsewhere.

The key to re-signeing Adam is the up front bonus. Everything that I've read and heard lately points to that as the sticking point.

So, if $3mil per year is going to be the number, a contract similar to Longwell's probably would be what it takes to keep him here.

kicking woes.......

Green Bay has all kinds of cap money and no kicker. We are screwed folks, we are going to end up with an inexperienced kicker I am afraid.

We either give AV about 3MM bonus, guarantee about 3-5MM of the 5 year 15MM dollar deal. Yes, 3MM for a damn kicker. Or else, we are going to be left with making an offer to Seattle's Josh Brown - he was tendered mid level 718M.

That's it folks, we either pay what the market demands or we get to live like Dallas did last year, every single damn kick and even extra poin twill be a freaking adventure.

$3m a year was the worst case scenario for BB/Pioli. I think the reason they didn't franchise him was they wanted to see if AV would come back in the 2.5m to 3m range. Anything in the vicinity of 2.5m per year for four or five years would get it done for both sides I think as long as the guaranteed money would be in the 4m or 5m range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing