PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings RB Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse; deactivated for Pats game at Minnesota

The problem with public opinion is people form their opinion without all the facts. From there, issues have the potential to snowball.

Add to that many wish to force the facts to fit their opinion - square peg into a round hole.

Just posted that the NFL should do like any competent HR department and compiled a list of potential misconduct and formulate penalties sometime ago instead of waiting and let public opinion sway them as it happens.

Comments from Peterson tells it all, he also stuffed the child's mouth with the leaves from the "switch".. for some reason he and many others believe that because he as done this way as a child, he can do so as a parent..

Following the beating, Peterson allegedly texted the child’s mother saying that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh.”

Peterson also acknowledged injuring the child’s scrotum, noting, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”

According to police, Peterson also texted , “Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.”

Comments from Peterson tells it all, he also stuffed the child's mouth with the leaves from the "switch".. for some reason he and many others believe that because he as done this way as a child, he can do so as a parent..
Compounding the fact is that he doesn't actually live with these kids, just swooping in on occasion during which he happens to mete out "discipline." Imagine the trauma those children feel.

Last edited:
Compounding the fact is that he doesn't actually live with these kids, just swooping in on occasion during which he happens to mete out "justice." Imagine the trauma those children feel.

I agree completely, cannot imagine the horror the kids must feel when they have to visit the sperm donor.. this child was 4 years old... the average weight for a child this age is about 36 lbs. and the average height is 40".. that is a little dude.

Peterson just took himself out of the running for father of the year..

Not sure if any of you saw NFL Countdown yesterday but Cris Carter took a stand re: this issue. I got to admit his passion and opinions on this matter took courage to deliver to a nation audience but man he gets some respect from me personally saying it. Our parents worked hard to raise us but some teachings are not to be passed down to our kids. Much respect for CC for taking this stand so passionately...

This is a topic that is just so hard to weigh in on. It is so terribly sad that even discussing it and acknowledging that this exists in our society is upsetting. I have no words for those pictures. Those poor children. Here you are, 4 years old, looking up to your celebrity athlete father. He's so respected. He's so lauded. He's so ... large... and intimidating... and glorious ... and dangerous. Most days you get Dr. Jekyll. But each and every day, one false step is all it takes to meet with Mr. Hyde. And you know this because it wasn't the first time.

I understand that Peterson himself was brought up this way. And while that doesn't excuse it, it at least brings into focus what a tough problem it is because someone needs to break the cycle of violence. One thing I've learned from reading this thread is that there is a culture that goes along with this. It is the culture of violence. People seem to relate to what he did here in a way that they really shouldn't. Anyone sanctioning what he did needs to take a closer look at the actual events as they took place because I think those people still aren't understanding exactly what took place here. I find it hard to believe anyone here can relate to this mostly because if you had done something like this, you would probably be in jail by now.

Something that isn't quite coming clear is that a spanking and a beating are two very different things. The line is not blurred in any way. The goal of a spanking is to humiliate and discipline. The goal of a beating is to inflict immediate AND ongoing pain, and is therefore abuse. While I would never spank a child, I can understand why a parent might choose this path and I wouldn't judge their parenting choice. However, if a parent decides to beat a child, that is entirely another story.

I find myself thinking about PEDs with respect to this latest spree of violence in the NFL. Are we driving these players a little insane by pumping them so full of hormones that they no longer think clearly? Have we affected their ability to make more ration decisions? Does the violence of the game also affect this? Can the NFL as we know it exist without the culture of drugs and violence? While I don't advocate the flag football approach nor the Nancy Reagan diatribe, it does seem there is a bit of a conflict of interest here. And while I have no good answers, I find it hard to believe the NFL has them either. But if this product is going to survive for years to come, someone better come up with something because tragedy on this scale is not going to work out for the NFL.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, fwiw.

Last edited:
Not sure if any of you saw NFL Countdown yesterday but Cris Carter took a stand re: this issue. I got to admit his passion and opinions on this matter took courage to deliver to a nation audience but man he gets some respect from me personally saying it. Our parents worked hard to raise us but some teachings are not to be passed down to our kids. Much respect for CC for taking this stand so passionately...

I have new found respect for Cris Carter.

As opposed to the throw away line "Governor" Charles Barkley threw out yesterday on television......

Over on the game day thread, someone posted a Twitter link saying that the Vikings haven't decided yet what to do with Peterson, but that trading him is a possibility.

To be honest, I don't think there are any good options for them. But I can't see how they can possibly get much more than what the Patriots got for Mallett(!) at this point, since his contract is an albatross, and nobody knows how this is going to turn out (for all we know, he could end up in prison for years, or he could get off with a large fine + community service, etc.).

Wonder why the Vikings want to trade him? Think we got it bad (re: cap hit) with Hernandez?

"Adrian Peterson signed a 6 year / $86.28 million contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $12,000,000 signing bonus, $36,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $14,380,000."

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/adrian-peterson/

Wonder why the Vikings want to trade him? Think we got it bad (re: cap hit) with Hernandez?

"Adrian Peterson signed a 6 year / $86.28 million contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $12,000,000 signing bonus, $36,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $14,380,000."

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/adrian-peterson/

I read someplace that almost none of that money is guaranteed and the cap hit for next year if they cut him would be minimal. Plus it would give the Vikings some serious cap room. Peterson might have made it much easier PR wise for the Vikes to cut him and save all that salary and cap room. He is a great back, but when was the last time the team with the leading rusher in the NFL even made it to the Superbowl?

Here is the article about the cap consequences:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...adrian-peterson-wont-be-a-viking-much-longer/

Vikings say Peterson will play on Sunday! Lmao... Can I ask what changed between now and then?

Wow

Vikings say Peterson will play on Sunday! Lmao... Can I ask what changed between now and then?

Wow
they went from winning by 20+ to losing by 20+

Here is a very good op-ed written by someone who is ironically a victim of domestic violence, who surprisingly has a good point- how do we expect those men who inflict violence for a living (and are cheered and celebrated for it) to simply flick off the switch when they get home:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/09/13/marrapese/gIA4GqFnQEWon6h64O3ObI/story.html
Personally, I find that writer's stance flawed and that would be me putting it very, very politely. Her use of the term hypocrisy is so misplaced it would probably offend some people. I'm not really offended myself, because I just accept that the use of that term is poor in this article.

I don't watch the NFL just because it is violent....but even if I DID I would go into it knowing that the participants are as mentally and physically prepared as they can be for any violence that comes with playing. The same thing goes for the other violent sports that writer is a fan of (Boxing, MMA, etc) except those sports even take it a step further by making sure the combatants are of a similar body weight. In other words, in the NFL when fans do cheer for the big hits, it is usually a grown man making a violent hit against another grown man in a situation where the one getting hit knowingly signed on a dotted line to put himself in that situation.

I can 100% say that rooting for Chandler Jones to smash Geno Smith or Ryan Tannehill into the ground on a play that is completely legal does not prevent me from sitting in judgement of Chandler Jones if he decides to follow it up by going home and smashing a tree branch against a toddler's body or slugging his girlfriend/wife/fiance/etc in the face and dragging her lifeless body around. Watching and cheering "violence" when the combatants willingly acknowledge and accept it and are as prepared as they are going to be does not mean I have to just accept a FOUR year old being bloodied. Yet, reading this writer's article makes me think I should feel hypocritical about making judgement. Maybe not their intent, but that is how it comes across.

As far as expecting players to just "flick off the switch", it is actually easy to expect them to do this because many have done so before. There have been thousands and thousands of men who have put on an NFL jersey, and many who have never had an incidence of slugging their wife out cold or beating a toddler with a tree branch. Sure, there have been stories we haven't heard over the league's history...but to just excuse players for it because they have a violent job is, in my opinion flat out lazy. If there ARE players who are unable to just "flick off the switch", then it is my opinion that it is for the best that they are removed from the league for someone else who can just "flick off the switch". There are other players who will step up and fill these spots.

Basically the NFL showed the last week that it only matters how valuable/good you are for their team and nothing else matters.

McDonald, Hardy, Peterson and Rice, every franchise reacted the same way. They believed their player story, until the public knew too much and they simply couldn't afford it anymore to let him play/keep him on the team.

I mean the Vikings seemingly don't even care about child abuse. It's sickening and the NFL as well as the organizations should think how to end this kinda stuff.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back