PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings free agents WR Sydney Rice and DE Ray Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielbaron1

Rookie
Reaction score
So i just heard on espn that these guys are set to be free agents after minnesota placed the franchise tag on chad greenway. I personally would like to see both these guys in a pats uniform. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Sydney rice and ray edwards

Rice, depending on health, would be a nice addition. I am not sure if Edwards fits the Pats system. He could. Just don't know enough about his strengths and weaknesses. He does have the size to be the elephant player (OLB in the 3-4 and his hand on the ground in sub packages).

Last edited:

Rice would certainly fit the role of a big receiver. The question with him is his health.

Ray Edwards, has 8 sacks in each of the last two years playing on a line with Jared Allen Kevin Williams and Pat Williams and he has never played OLB so like Rob0729 said im not sure if he fits the pats system + he's going to want DE money not OLB money

Rice has good size but other then he's Career year when brett favre made him a pro bowler he has a total of 817 yeards in 30 games so he may not be worth the 6 or 7 million he will want

Ray Edwards, has 8 sacks in each of the last two years playing on a line with Jared Allen Kevin Williams and Pat Williams and he has never played OLB so like Rob0729 said im not sure if he fits the pats system + he's going to want DE money not OLB money

Rice has good size but other then he's Career year when brett favre made him a pro bowler he has a total of 817 yeards in 30 games so he may not be worth the 6 or 7 million he will want

In Rice's small defense. Before Brett he had Shartvarous Jackson

Sidney Rice automatically fixes the deep threat receiver issue. He has size and is a burner.

Rice suffers from chronic migraine and other health issues which when come on sidelines him a bunch.Not sure how much you are willing to pay in that scenario.

As you said Edwards gets alot of 1 on 1 match up with TE and Rb in soda`s due to allen and williams . I really be careful if you are going to play him against a top tier LT and except results.

Sydney rice and ray edwards

Percy harvin has migraines, not Rice.

Rice has been a beast when he is healthy. Problem is he missed almost 2 years worth of games since 07.

I was really hoping we would get Edwards in the Moss trade and I think that Rice would be the deep threat we need.

I like Rice, but I question his blocking and ability to plant and aggressively change directions. The Pats need a guy who can not only go deep and work the body positioning, but also run the dig to threaten the bracket. I may be nitpicking, but there are holes in his game that don't validate the price tag. Further, the more I think about it the more I like Price to play the x or split end, even though I thought he was drafted to be the z.

Edwards is a 43 end.

Percy harvin has migraines, not Rice.

Rice has been a beast when he is healthy. Problem is he missed almost 2 years worth of games since 07.

thanks i do not follow that team .i thought he is the one.

I think it comes down to roster spot. Deion is always going to miss games with injury and you cannot build a roster with 2 WR who can miss time with Injury.Then you need to carry extra WR if both go down and need alot of depth.for now with deion i rather not go this route.

Last edited:

Since Rice only has 4 yrs of service, he very well may be a RFA, not a UFA.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Vikings may apply any player under 6 yrs a RFA tender, and some think it will uphold.

http://http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/21/vikings-cant-use-transition-tag-on-sidney-rice/

I don't feel like looking it up, but I know that the way that the NFL chose to word the rules regarding the # of years needed to reach UFA status is very f***ed up. I honestly can't remember if it's written in a way that supports that interpretation or not. [IIRC, the main part says four years, another part says five years, and a third part says six years.]

I like Rice, but I question his blocking and ability to plant and aggressively change directions. The Pats need a guy who can not only go deep and work the body positioning, but also run the dig to threaten the bracket. I may be nitpicking, but there are holes in his game that don't validate the price tag. Further, the more I think about it the more I like Price to play the x or split end, even though I thought he was drafted to be the z.

Edwards is a 43 end.

randy moss couldn't do those things either. While Rice Certainly doesnt have the speed of moss he certainly has the hands, rice is one of the biggest targets in the league and he is under-appreciated. the one good year he had with favre showed how good he was, and he was banged up for too much of 2010, as was favre to replicate it.

other than that, rice would bring the attitude, work ethic, talent and maybe even price the patriots would be interested in, if he is a free agent.

I don't feel like looking it up, but I know that the way that the NFL chose to word the rules regarding the # of years needed to reach UFA status is very f***ed up. I honestly can't remember if it's written in a way that supports that interpretation or not. [IIRC, the main part says four years, another part says five years, and a third part says six years.]

Actually, I am confused on this too. The wording of the CBA 'during an uncapped year' states that restricted tenders may be applied to any 4 or 5 yr player, thus making him an RFA.

The Panthers are making both Charles Johnson (4 years) and DeAngelo Williams (5 years) both RFA's, as of today. Of course that may eventually change based on whatever new rules the latest CBA entails.

Bottom line is that I doubt Sidney Rice is an unrestricted free agent, and I'm sure that Minnesota will be putting RFA tenders on all of their 4 and 5 year guys.

It's obviously complicated like you said, or else guys like Lamar Woodley would be getting high RFA tenders too--instead of making 10 million + under the franchise tag. Come to think of it, why is someone like him getting the tag when they could have just made him an RFA with the highest tender, and saved a lot of money?? Does everyone not believe in this rule? It seems as though they could be saving a ton of money, while still locking up Woodley (4 years) at a high tendered RFA rate? (Just using him as an example, I am sure there are more)

EDIT: It seems as though there is some risk involved, as the teams that place the RFA tenders are hoping that the 'new' agreement doesn't push UFA's back to 4 yrs. If it somehow did, then guys like Woodley would have been UFA's this year. I'm wondering if the issue hasn't already come up, and the Panthers don't know something that we do not. In that case, Pittsburgh will have 'wasted' their franchise tag--although they didn't want to risk losing an important player.

Last edited:
Rice is too tall for the Pats system. BB likes short wide-outs that can be easily covered.

;)

I don't often have college binkies but Sidney Rice was one. I thought he was a tremendous player. Health apart, I haven't seen anything to make me change my mind.

Jay, if I understand you right, you want the Pats to find a receiver who is 6'4" with great hands who can stretch the field, block like a tight end and make sudden cuts. Me too! ;)

Someone mentioned that Sydney Rice was made a pro-bowler by brett favre, and while that may be true, couldn't Tom Brady do the same thing?? I believe Tom Brady could go nuts with a WR like Rice....

It's already been said but Sydney Rice would be a nice addition to this team- healthy of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back