PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings (close) to trade for Rosenfels [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosenfels for a 4th rounder would be a good idea -- if you had like Carson Palmer and needed a backup.

SportsRadio 610 in Houston reports that the Vikings will sign Sage Rosenfels to a new three-year, $9 million deal once his trade to Minnesota is done.

Apparently the Vikings are perfectly fine with mediocrity at the QB position, ah well apparently they haven't learned and won't. I guess a 4th rounder isn't the end of the world but I wonder why the Texans are letting him go for a 4th considering Schaub has been missed games over the past seasons and Sage wasn't the worst possible backup.

Interesting note from last year..

This trade was nearly made last year, but Houston balked when the Vikes offered only a third-round choice. The Texans wanted a second-rounder. Rosenfels, 31 in March, would immediately become the favorite to start in Minnesota if the deal is completed.

I think that it is in the Patriots best interest to trade Cassel within the first week of free agency. As much as this might be an unpopular position, I think that the Pats would be better off taking less than they value Cassel at in order to be active in free agency and make a big push towards winning a championship this year (like one second round pick for him this year).

The less suitors there are for Cassel, the more I get worried. And if it comes down to having Cassel in a cap-friendly deal as a backup or extending Wilfork to a long term extension, for example, I choose extending Wilfork... I really hope that there is a team that the Pats have in mind as a likely suitor, like Kansas City.

SportsRadio 610 in Houston reports that the Vikings will sign Sage Rosenfels to a new three-year, $9 million deal once his trade to Minnesota is done.

Maybe after 3 years he can sign for Cleo Lemon or Billy Volek money.

I think that it is in the Patriots best interest to trade Cassel within the first week of free agency. As much as this might be an unpopular position, I think that the Pats would be better off taking less than they value Cassel at in order to be active in free agency and make a big push towards winning a championship this year (like one second round pick for him this year).

The less suitors there are for Cassel, the more I get worried. And if it comes down to having Cassel in a cap-friendly deal as a backup or extending Wilfork to a long term extension, for example, I choose extending Wilfork... I really hope that there is a team that the Pats have in mind as a likely suitor, like Kansas City.

Why trade for a second now (unless it is the Chiefs' second and even then I would expect another high draft pick) when you can wait to around draft time and get a first and another pick. There are at least a dozen teams in this league who don't have a true starting quality QB. At least one of them will cave. There is no rule that says that Wilfork has to get an extention before the draft.

Belichick has not been known for being at the short end of the stick with a trade. I seriously doubt he will here. People were saying seven years ago that the Pats should just take a second or a third for Bledsoe to get him off the team. The Pats got a first and used that first to get Ty Warren.

Besides, if Rosenfels can command a fourth round pick, why wouldn't Cassel demand a first (or the Chiefs' second) and another high draft pick. Cassel proved more in December than Rosenfels has proven in his entire career.

Last edited:
Why trade for a second now (unless it is the Chiefs' second and even then I would expect another high draft pick) when you can wait to around draft time and get a first and another pick. There are at least a dozen teams in this league who don't have a true starting quality QB. At least one of them will cave. There is no rule that says that Wilfork has to get an extention before the draft.

Belichick has not been known for being at the short end of the stick with a trade. I seriously doubt he will here. People were saying seven years ago that the Pats should just take a second or a third for Bledsoe to get him off the team. The Pats got a first and used that first to get Ty Warren.

Besides, if Rosenfels can command a fourth round pick, why wouldn't Cassel demand a first (or the Chiefs' second) and another high draft pick. Cassel proved more in December than Rosenfels has proven in his entire career.

Psssst,cos Rosenfels is..........cheaper?

For some reason, you value highly the POSSIBLE higher pick that we MIGHT get if we hold out until the week before the draft. However, you do NOT value highly having the $14.6M available for free agents starting on Friday. Personally, I would much rather have a #35-#40 this weekend than a #20 on the week before the draft or on the first day of the draft. In any case, I expect that we will also receive a conditional 2010 pick. BTW, I don't believe the value will go up, if at all, until the week AFTER the draft, when some team or teams will know that they have failed to get their quarterback.

You also seem to believe that the fact that Cassel has a $14.6M contract doesn't affect the price a team will offer for him. There is a limited number of team willing to tie up that kind of cap space, or even $10M a year for a four year contract with $20M guaranteed on what Belichick and the media are pitching as a young star quarterback. You may think that it crazy to pass up the chance to give a first, a 3rd and $10M a year for Cassel. Some teams have better uses for their cap money, and are willing to settle for giving a 3rd (or no draft choice for a free agent QB) and signing a QB for $3M a year, and use their first and $7M of cap room for THREE more contributers ($2M cap for the 1st and $2.5M each for two free agents plus perhaps a 3rd).

Cassel is surely worth more than Orton or Rosenfels, but I wouldn't give up my first round draft choice and two free agent possibilities to get Cassel over one of them, or one of the others available.

CONSIDER DETROIT
In both case, Detroit gets picks at 1, 35 and 82.
OPTION 1
Should they give up their #20, #65, and $10M a year for Cassel? or should they
OPTION 2
Sign a player at #20 with say a $2M cap effect for a 5 year contract
Sign a player at #65 with no cap effect for a 4 year contract
Sign a free agent QB at $3M cap for a 3 year contract
Sign another free agent at a $2.5M cap for a 4 year contract
Sign another free agent at a $2.5M cap for a 4 year contract

Somehow, unless I was really sure that Cassel would succeed as a pro-bowl QB, I think I would rather have a mediocre QB and FOUR more contributers to support him (in addition to who they pick at 1, 35 and 82).

Give a guy like Parcells or Belichick or Pioli OPTION 2 and they would build Detroit into a competitor in their horrible division within three years.

That was my exact point. If I were BB, I would jump at the chance to trade Cassel for the Chiefs #2 on the free agent deadline. An extra 14+ million going into free agency is a lot more appealing to me than moving maybe 12 spots up in the draft after many free agents have been signed.

Even if we don't trade Cassel to the Chiefs, I would be more than willing to trade Cassel for a 2nd and a conditional pick next year, because I think it would benefit the Pats more this offseason.

If we trade for a mid-2nd round pick this year, we'd have a 1st, three 2nds, and 2 3rd round picks in this years draft (Which is considered very deep). The possibilities in the offseason would be tremendous.

Hypothetically, we could have ammunition to trade for Peppers (a thread that has something like 12,000 views) and still have plenty of day 1 picks to improve our secondary. Or we could move up to get a player we covet, draft a couple more times in day 1, and trade extra picks into next year, as we have in the past.

Bottom line, I DO NOT want to be in the position where we handcuffed ourselves if the stars don't align.

I saw that Colts / Texans game and um... wow.
I've watched a lot of football games in my life, but that one...

It was a thing of beauty wasn't it? Possibly the best 2 minutes of my life.:D

I will always have a soft spot for Mr. Rosenfels.:p

Re: Vikings (close) to Trade for Rosenfels

Someone needs to explain to Childress that you can't combine three ****ty quarterbacks into one mega-QB. It just doesn't work like that.

Don't you know? The Wildcat is soooo 2008; 2009 is all about The Voltron.

It was a thing of beauty wasn't it? Possibly the best 2 minutes of my life.:D

I will always have a soft spot for Mr. Rosenfels.:p
I bet it was, i couldn't believe what i was seeing.
I guess the Vikings front office missed that obcenity. ;)

I bet it was, i couldn't believe what i was seeing.
I guess the Vikings front office missed that obcenity. ;)

Almost have to feel bad for the guy, I mean thats all anyone remembers about him lol.

Almost have to feel bad for the guy, I mean thats all anyone remembers about him lol.

Could be worse. He could be Ryan Leaf... :)

See this is how sensitive ethnic sobriquets can be.

It is not offensive to call Andre Tippett "The Hebrew Hammer."

It may be borderline offensive to call Sage Rosenfels "The Hebrew Helicopter."

This has been a public service announcement.

PFnV

Alot of hate for 1 game by Rosenfels hes really not that bad. For the value he puts Minny in a better spot they were last year at QB.

Alot of hate for 1 game by Rosenfels hes really not that bad. For the value he puts Minny in a better spot they were last year at QB.

He threw 6 TDs and 10 picks last year. Minny's ******ed if they think he puts them in position for a championship. A terrible, gutless, loser-team move. This gets them no more than halfway. Awful.

He threw 6 TDs and 10 picks last year.
The Texans have good skill players around him too. I can see a team like the Bears wondering about Orton vs. Cassel given the crap Orton tries to play with but with the likes of Andre Johnson, Steve Slaton, et al, it's different with Houston.

Ummmmm what ? Dude you were better off as a team keeping that 4th round draft pick..............You'll be a much better team as soon as Goober Childress hits the road, the man is clueless. Although he will be gone in 10 months after the Rosenfels experiment goes up in flames.

Last edited:
That Colts game was nauseating. He had them beaten and he just gave it away. I could not believe what I was seeing. Good luck to Minny and Mister Peepers if they think Sage is their qb savior.

Not everyone is jacked up...

Minnesota Sports Examiner: Is Sage Rosenfels to the Vikings the move Purple fans have been waiting for?

Excerpt:

Just a scant few days ago and Combine in Indianapolis, Childress told reporters that he wanted Ferrotte and Jackson to compete for the starting QB job. We can now see that as more Chili-talk, as league guidelines didn't allow him to say anything more then, or now. And, if this trade happens, I am getting my wish of more than just the T-Jack and Gus show at training camp. But I can't help but feel like asking, is that all there is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back