PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings also might be intereted in Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/636989.html

With receiver Koren Robinson possibly facing a yearlong suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, the Vikings could be among the teams that inquire about disgruntled New England receiver Deion Branch.

I question whether any of these teams will meet Branch's salary demands AND give up a #1 pick - but at the very least Branch and his agent should have a much better view of what his actual value is one year before free agency.

JoeSixPat said:
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/636989.html

I question whether any of these teams will meet Branch's salary demands AND give up a #1 pick - but at the very least Branch and his agent should have a much better view of what his actual value is one year before free agency.

The thing is, if someone is willing to pony up, say, $6 million and a first right now, Branch may figure that he's worth even more on the FA market. And he'll be right. A lot of teams would pay an extra million a year for a first round pick.

Also, a top-notch WR in his prime is definitely worth a #1 pick, even at a high salary. It takes WRs a while to develop, and as #1 WRs, even if they aren't busts, the money paid for production equals out. Let's say a WR comes into his own in his 3rd year. If he's been getting $2-3 million a year as a 1st rounder, that would equal 2 solid years of production for a total of say about $10 million over 4 years.

In that light, it may be worth it for a team to pay Branch--a sure thing in his prime--$6 million AND give up a 1st rounder.

But they won't pay him more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're going to discuss individual media speculation on whether their team could would or should even consider Deion we will be hip deep in meaningless threads by Monday AM.

The funny part was on NFL All Access last night they briefly mentioned that the Patriots had given holdout Branch permission to seek a trade, and never returned to the topic any further. He didn't even make Schefters Around the League segment. Talk about Patriots getting no respect - it even extends to our holdout crisis...:rofl:

The sad thing is it will likely be mentioned in every third sentance the broadcast crew utters throughout tonight's game... :mad:

MoLewisrocks said:
The funny part was on NFL All Access last night they briefly mentioned that the Patriots had given holdout Branch permission to seek a trade, and never returned to the topic any further. He didn't even make Schefters Around the League segment. Talk about Patriots getting no respect - it even extends to our holdout crisis...:rofl:
More like Deion not getting respect IMO. He´s not getting the attention because he isn´t a top 5 player at his position. Also this could be seen as them saying: "No big deal - Patriots will be fine" or maybe that they don´t really think that a deal will go through..
MoLewisrocks said:
The sad thing is it will likely be mentioned in every third sentance the broadcast crew utters throughout tonight's game... :mad:
I sure hope not but I think you might be right.

Last edited by a moderator:
MoLewisrocks said:
If we're going to discuss individual media speculation on whether their team could would or should even consider Deion we will be hip deep in meaningless threads by Monday AM.

One and only one Deion Branch thread? That's a little extreme.

Since a trade is being considered - for picks, players, or both - it's not worth focusing on any one team and the players they might include?

I'm in full agreement that duplicate threads or needless additional threads are a problem - but for today, Deion Branch trade rumors are a prime focus - I just hope people don't get themselves too twisted in a notch over it

I'm not twisted Joe, it's just that this isn't who might be interested, it's whose media wonders if they might be interested. We could just start 31 threads or perhaps one to list the handful of teams like AZ or Indy who someone in the media won't wonder if they are interested. That's all. :D

MoLewisrocks said:
I'm not twisted Joe, it's just that this isn't who might be interested, it's whose media wonders if they might be interested. We could just start 31 threads or perhaps one to list the handful of teams like AZ or Indy who someone in the media won't wonder if they are interested. That's all. :D

I understand your point - I just think you've probably picked the wrong team to make it about.

The 31 other teams don't have their existing #1 WRs facing suspension over substance abuse policy... and not all of them have the cap room that the Vikings do.

If there's a team with a strong need for #1 WR and the cap room and their local press is generally stating that they feel a trade would make sense, I think its ok to put those teams in a different category and discuss who, or what we would like to consider as a trade - as opposed to having a thread for all 31 teams - which I don't think anyone has suggested.

In the case of the Vikings, there's some WRs worth considering just to start (forgive me if this is posted and burried in the soon to be created one single 300 post merged Branch thread as I may have missed it)

Travis Taylor might be a guy they'd give up along with a non-number one pick

or Marcus Robinson could be included in a deal as well

Neither one matches Branch's production last year but both would provide some quality depth

Last edited:
I think that all the team of the NFl wants to Branch in their team.

Now that Koren Robinson has reportedly been cut, is it ok to have a thread noting that the Vikings might be interested in Branch?

Whether it was his expected suspension or now this report he was cut, its not a huge surprise but this of course is what made the Vikings interest a little bit more noteworthy than some of the other 31 teams

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye