PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikes tampering = showtime for Goodell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiral

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Coming from a patsfan this may be a rhetorical question, but which is worse: taping defensive signals during a game, or tampering with a HOF quarterback from another team in your division?

RG either needs to pull at least a #1 from the Vikes, or he ends up looking like a hypocrite and a tool for the NY media.

BTW--still waiting for him to tell us how Jay Glazer got a copy of that tape.

Coming from a patsfan this may be a rhetorical question, but which is worse: taping defensive signals during a game, or tampering with a HOF quarterback from another team in your division?

RG either needs to pull at least a #1 from the Vikes, or he ends up looking like a hypocrite and a tool for the NY media.

Don't hold your breath. At most it'll be similar to what SF got for tampering with Briggs (I think it was him at least).

What I find interesting about the whole thing is that Favre supposedly initiated the phone call to the Vikings. Personally, that makes HIM culpable for the tampering as he should have known he was still under contract to the Packers and couldn't have any contact with other teams without the Packers permission. Favre should be hit with a suspension for his actions.

I hope somebody does something soon because I'm getting so tired of hearing about this. The season can't come quick enough.

How can it be called tampering when he was retired anyways? He's not even a member of the Packers at that point. Never mind the fact that GB doesn't even want him, I know that its irrelevant but in terms of public opinion I think it matters.

Small fine. Boys will be boys.

How can it be called tampering when he was retired anyways? He's not even a member of the Packers at that point.

He's officially on Green Bay's reserved-retired list. He doesn't count against their 80-man roster, but he's not a free agent. GB still retains their rights.

How can it be called tampering when he was retired anyways? He's not even a member of the Packers at that point.

Sure he is. He is just on their "Reserved-Retired" list so they don't have to pay him and he doesn't count against their roster numbers.

Don't hold your breath. At most it'll be similar to what SF got for tampering with Briggs (I think it was him at least).

Agreed. Goodell will want to send a message and it will probably be around the 5th or 6th round draft pick lost for the Vikes. His argument will be they should have known better.

Agreed. Goodell will want to send a message and it will probably be around the 5th or 6th round draft pick lost for the Vikes. His argument will be they should have known better.

The problem for the Vikings is that--as near as I can tell from the articles--there were multiple people and multiple conversations involved, so any "it's Brett's fault" argument gets wiped out by the fact that they should have known such conversations were prohibited.

Personally, I expect that if the Vikings lose anything, they'll lose at least a 4, if not more.

Last edited:
The problem for the Vikings is that--as near as I can tell from the articles--there were multiple people and multiple conversations involved, so any "it's Brett's fault" argument gets wiped out by the fact that they should have known such conversations were prohibited.

Personally, I expect that if the Vikings lose anything, they'll lose at least a 4, if not more.

What was the penality for the 49ers. wasn't it a 5 or a 6 and a swap of 3s. So that should be the minimum.

What was the penality for the 49ers. wasn't it a 5 or a 6 and a swap of 3s. So that should be the minimum.

Yes, it was. But you can't really do something like that right now, because you can't guarantee that the Vikings will have higher picks than the Packers.

Let's see:

• The NFL sent out a "no tampering" memo to all teams
  • In March, the 49ers were caught and punished for tampering
  • Now, the Vikings have been caught tampering

It seems like the ingredients are there for Goodell to levy a harsh, "I'm not kidding around, stop breaking this rule" type of punishment.

I mean, you know, if he wanted to be consistent or anything.

Let's see:

It seems like the ingredients are there for Goodell to levy a harsh, "I'm not kidding around, stop breaking this rule" type of punishment.

Why would he want to be consistent? That would be way too good of an idea for mongoloid Goodell.

Let's see:

Why be consistent? Last time he blew his steam and did that it led to 6 months of media nonsense. He blew it and he knows better than to do it again. That is unless he wants to have Matt Walsh Jr. come out with allegations he has a phone transcript from Favre's cellphone 11 offseasons ago when he was tampered with then too. ;)

Last edited:
I guess we could get Tomase to report that BB secretly had the Pats film staff tape the Vikings tampering with Favre.

That's definately worth a first rounder.

I guess we could get Tomase to report that BB secretly had the Pats film staff tape the Vikings tampering with Favre.

That's definately worth a first rounder.

:violent::violent:

Nice one. I can see it now.....Tampergate in all its greatness!!

Its hard to say until we hear what the investigation at Vikings Camp had turned up on where this could head. For all we know the phone calls between Favre and the Vikes could of been over... say..... the retirement celebration festivities. Of course that's very far fetched as all can be too. Logic tells me that the Vikings got busted red handed and Favre initiated the tampering. My guess is the punishment to the Vikings will be simular to the 49ers fiasco. What Goddell will do to Favre if anything is beyond me....

ESPN is speculating that this could be done and over with by Friday. We'll see.

Last edited:
Its hard to say until we hear what the investigation at Vikings Camp had turned up on where this could head. For all we know the phone calls between Favre and the Vikes could of been over... say..... the retirement celebration festivities. Of course that's very far fetched as all can be too. Logic tells me that the Vikings got busted red handed and Favre initiated the tampering. My guess is the punishment to the Vikings will be simular to the 49ers fiasco. What Goddell will do to Favre if anything is beyond me....
Nothing to Favre. Rule is that team staffs cannot have contact with players under contract. They are the ones who broke the rule, not Favre, even though he may have called first.

The problem is not Favre's calls to his friend, it was his calls to Childress. Unless Childress hung up immediately, the Vikes are in trouble. Childress is not allowed to talk to players under contract to other teams, only free agents.

This is going to be good, but I doubt it will be over by Friday, and you know ESPN will talk about it for months. I only wish this happened last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes