PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

View : "It's Hard to Play Two Teams" ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely think there was questionable officiating, but Carolina had no chance in that game so it wouldn't have mattered. That bizarre punt return by the Broncos perfectly summed up the game, Carolina couldn't handle the pressure.
Totally agree. Broncos outplayed the panthers . My point being typing scales

I would agree that the refs had it in the bag for the Broncos, if not for the fact that this is just how bad the officiating has been in every game all season long, Denver or otherwise. The last time I think I saw officiating be as consistently bad as it was this season, it was because we were watching replacement refs.

I would agree that the refs had it in the bag for the Broncos, if not for the fact that this is just how bad the officiating has been in every game all season long, Denver or otherwise. The last time I think I saw officiating be as consistently bad as it was this season, it was because we were watching replacement refs.

I think other than bad refereeing what this game showed me is that there need to be more than 2 challenges in the game. I get that you can't have infinite numbers of them but this game clearly highlighted the flaw of the current system where if the refs miss a few calls and you challenge them you are suddenly without a chance to do anything later in the game. That one extra challenge you get if you hit on both of them is laughable especially because when it comes to challenging completions/incompletions the league apparently can do whatever the **** they want.

For ****s sake we stop the damn game for every possible thing anyway now to be able to put in more damn advertisements. I don't see how having 2 challenges in each half instead of 2 (3) total would make the game considerably longer than what it is now: Touchdown, Ads, XP, Ads, Kickoff, Ads..

Hell the league can get creative and do away with challenge flags and make it possible for a team to call for a challenge whenever they call a timeout.

I think other than bad refereeing what this game showed me is that there need to be more than 2 challenges in the game. I get that you can't have infinite numbers of them but this game clearly highlighted the flaw of the current system where if the refs miss a few calls and you challenge them you are suddenly without a chance to do anything later in the game. That one extra challenge you get if you hit on both of them is laughable especially because when it comes to challenging completions/incompletions the league apparently can do whatever the **** they want.

For ****s sake we stop the damn game for every possible thing anyway now to be able to put in more damn advertisements. I don't see how having 2 challenges in each half instead of 2 (3) total would make the game considerably longer than what it is now: Touchdown, Ads, XP, Ads, Kickoff, Ads..

Hell the league can get creative and do away with challenge flags and make it possible for a team to call for a challenge whenever they call a timeout.

I agree. I think the rule should be, as long as you have a timeout you can challenge, but once you've LOST two challenges, you're done. Getting punished for winning a challenge is silly to me.

And if you want to avoid a scenario where coaches are using up their two challenges on long shots at the end of the game for no reason, make it so that if you lose even your first challenge in the last five minutes of regulation, you forfeit any remaining challenges.

Can not blame the refs for all of those false Starts and turnovers. Denver scored on one of them and you lost atleast 3 points from that INT. Thats 10 points right there

Denver definitely got some calls last night (how was that catch not a catch) but I do not think It decided the game

Game was marred by several bizarre plays:
- the incomplete pass call which led to the strip sack and Denver td. I thought the ref was awfully quick under the hood, that was a huge call and he got it wrong. 7 points for Denver. Also, Miller's subsequent sack should have been a penalty, as he hit Newton in the head/face.
- the punt return. I always wondered why missing a fair catch doesn't happen more often. The returner was surrounded by Panthers and would've had his head removed if they knew. 3 points for Denver
- the very poor fumble by the fullback after his big gainer, in a 1 on 1 situation. 3 points lost for Carolina
- the INT deep in Denver territory, right thru the receivers hands. 3 points lost.
- Cam's refusal to jump on the fumble - 7 points for Denver.
Even though they couldn't contain Miller and Ware, Carolina should have won the game but for those breaks.

It's one thing for fans on a message board to complain about calls. It's another altogether for players on a losing team to do it.

Maybe if Josh Norman had intercepted that pass that was right in his hands the outcome would have been different. Same for Cam Newton holding the ball away from his body and allowing Miller to take it away for the first TD.

I wouldn't say that. If anything, Deflategate should have opened many eyes to what's happening. It's all in front of us. All you have to do is look and its there. I wouldn't say that's bad. Not at all.

It did open my eyes. And now I see....a big tinfoil hat on the top of your head.

you forgot the obvious, textbook case of pass interference by the Broncos in the red zone on 3rd down. No call. CAR settled for a FG to make it 16-10. Sure, a TD wasn't guaranteed, but that was just a God-awful no-call.

I'm not saying the refs were corrupt.

I'm saying that the sucked, and their mistakes generally favored the Broncos.

Based on your post I'm assuming that you are unaware of the lengths the league has taken to tell lies, manufacture data and publicly defame this team and its star player without actual evidence so it can improve competitive balance in the league and save its own ass from embarrassment and compromise its position with the NFLPA.
Not saying some things aren't warranted. It was a screw job. I just think it's led people to a point where they've become paranoid over everything. Goodell has these guys right where he wants them. It creates more buzz, and makes the NFL even more money by having these fans talk about these things.

One thing Goodell is smart with is that he and the greedy owners know that bad some bad on the side publicity can be good publicity when you're as big of a business as the NFL. Only makes them more money.

It's simply nothing more than greedy businessmen going for what gives them ratings, Brady led in jersey sales did he not? There's no Goodell working in a secret cave underneath MetLife stadium for the NYJFL FFS.

Throughout the season, the mantra was "when in doubt (or if it's close), rule in the Bronco's favor"

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the officiating either but Carolina did not show up. You can rig a game where one of the two teams doesn't show up?

You're the type of person that believes Brady deflated balls
When did I say that? I just have a little more common sense to know that all this stuff is about money, plain and simple. I'm really sorry I'm not buying this whole conspiracy that Goodell is secretly this Jets fan who mind controls players and coaching to force them into making dumb plays.

In some ways it isn't. I agree with some of the theories that the NFL does pick favorites, but I can't buy into the whole thing of the NFL deciding winners. I saw that game today, and even if Carolina got some of those calls, the way that Denver defense was playing... they probably weren't going to do much with it even if they got those calls. Plus it's not like Denver got off flag free. They got called for the hold on 4th and 1 that could have been very pivotal if the game turned out different.

.....and not to mention a 'gift' taunting call that changed a punt situation to a first down (and 15 yards further up the field). I don't know what was said, but you do NOT throw a taunting flag in the Super Bowl. I'm sorry, Super Bowls DO get officiated differently and that was a situation where you keep the flag in your pocket.

.....and not to mention a 'gift' taunting call that changed a punt situation to a first down (and 15 yards further up the field). I don't know what was said, but you do NOT throw a taunting flag in the Super Bowl. I'm sorry, Super Bowls DO get officiated differently and that was a situation where you keep the flag in your pocket.
And they did it against Denver. I'm sure a team that's getting the fox wouldn't have that call towards them.

When did I say that? I just have a little more common sense to know that all this stuff is about money, plain and simple. I'm really sorry I'm not buying this whole conspiracy that Goodell is secretly this Jets fan who mind controls players and coaching to force them into making dumb plays.

buddy, you talk about common sense yet you make implicit assumptions. lets see, the thread title is "view..." and the first line of the post is "(Posted for discussion/hypothetical purposes)"

i did not say any of those things you just stated above. you have to lack common sense to believe their isnt some "tipping the scales" at work here. that doesnt equate to games being fixed or players being brain washed. relax. it's a discussion and that part is explicitly stated. there were a lot of head scratching occurunce this year which started first and foremost with an organization believing Brady going from being a "voodoo doctor" (my term) that was "generally aware" of a scheme to deflate footballs to being a conspirator in the same organizations last filing in court....Draft picks being taken away, data not being released, etc. Lots of biased refereeing ie. OPI vs gronk that same referees didnt call against other team in same game.

And they did it against Denver. I'm sure a team that's getting the fox wouldn't have that call towards them.
Agreed, in reading my post again I see I wasn't clear that ............I think those saying the refs gave the title to the Broncos are 'reaching' ...big time.

- the incomplete pass call which led to the strip sack and Denver td. I thought the ref was awfully quick under the hood, that was a huge call and he got it wrong. 7 points for Denver. Also, Miller's subsequent sack should have been a penalty, as he hit Newton in the head/face.
- the punt return. I always wondered why missing a fair catch doesn't happen more often. The returner was surrounded by Panthers and would've had his head removed if they knew. 3 points for Denver
- the very poor fumble by the fullback after his big gainer, in a 1 on 1 situation. 3 points lost for Carolina
- the INT deep in Denver territory, right thru the receivers hands. 3 points lost.
- Cam's refusal to jump on the fumble - 7 points for Denver.
Even though they couldn't contain Miller and Ware, Carolina should have won the game but for those breaks.
I'm not sure "bizarre" is the right word..."bad," maybe, especially when it comes to how the Panthers played.

The incomplete pass: agree. Wrong call. The ball never touches the ground and he has possession to the ground.
The hit on Newton: meh. I've seen worse not called.
Punt Return: bad play by the Panthers.
Fumble: another bad play by the Panthers.
The Pick: another bad play by the Panthers.
Cam's fumble non-recovery: another bad play by the Panthers, rightly called out by the announcers.

No way that the team that made/didn't make those plays "should have won the game." Only the incomplete complete pass was a "bad break."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes