PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Video: Moss visits home, Pennington wanted Moss since March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennington and Moss would go together in the NFL like oil and water. This isn't Marshall anymore. This isn't to say that Moss wouldn't have helped the Jets, of course he would have. But having him playing with Pennington negates the biggest strength of Moss or forces Pennington to do more of what he is terrible at.

Pennington and Moss would go together in the NFL like oil and water. This isn't Marshall anymore. This isn't to say that Moss wouldn't have helped the Jets, of course he would have. But having him playing with Pennington negates the biggest strength of Moss or forces Pennington to do more of what he is terrible at.

Apparently Chad seems to think he "warned the Jets" about Moss will end up in "silver and blue"

You said it perfectly. I like Chad, and think he is a gamer, but the long ball is not his strong suit, to put it mildly--and Moss's game needs that as a threat, or he is only half of himself. Chad needs to be surrounded by receivers like Wayne Chrebet, Keyshawn Johnson and Troy Brown. I still think he is capable of winning, but the Jets may not be interested.

You said it perfectly. I like Chad, and think he is a gamer, but the long ball is not his strong suit, to put it mildly--and Moss's game needs that as a threat, or he is only half of himself. Chad needs to be surrounded by receivers like Wayne Chrebet, Keyshawn Johnson and Troy Brown. I still think he is capable of winning, but the Jets may not be interested.

They should be. That sad sack of a franchise practically sold it's soul for a postseason berth in the offseason.

I dont think Chad could throw the deep ball to Moss anyway....he couldn't reach him....

That actually is exactly why Moss would help out Chad. Chad biggest weakness is the long ball which than allows the CB to cheat in and pinches the area that he does like to throw in. By having Moss even though Penningtons arm isn't the greatest you still have to respect that and it would open things up underneath (one of the reasons Welker was so successful last year).

moss was asked about all the different qbs he had throwing to him, and who the best qb he ever played with was, and he said chad. of course this was before he played with tom brady though :)

Noodlearm throwing to the greatest deep threat in the NFL is such a funny image.

I disagree with what you guys are saying. Chad can throw a 'long' ball. He just can't throw the ball with zip. He could still throw the ball 40 yards for Moss to run under it. I think they could have really done well together.

Chad struggles with Hook pattern, and deep outs. Throws that require zip. He's actually pretty accurate when he throws passes long, those throws don't need much zip.

I disagree with what you guys are saying. Chad can throw a 'long' ball. He just can't throw the ball with zip. He could still throw the ball 40 yards for Moss to run under it. I think they could have really done well together.

Chad struggles with Hook pattern, and deep outs. Throws that require zip. He's actually pretty accurate when he throws passes long, those throws don't need much zip.

Okay, that makes some sense, and I will defer to your knowledge of your own QB. It will be interesting to see what happens in the Jets camp--my hunch is that The Coach who Must not be Named prefers Clemens.

Dead on correct. I was a noodle arm sandlot QB who killed guys with limp timing passes and the long looping TD pass to a tall WR. But in Div I and the NFL you need to gun the hook and deep outs. For some reason, the NE Patriots often struggle defending Pennington's limp, noodle armed, yet well placed throws. I'd design a Penny zone coverage with a fast FS assigned to playing the deep zone and crowd the other DBs within 20 yds.

Last edited:
No doubt Randy Moss would've made most QB's better, but IIRC his self-proclaimed cure for what ailed him was winning.

Lord Favre was convinced Moss would've brought him that elusive ring too. McNabb may have even mentioned it...I have a feeling 99% of the QB's in the league would love to have him, although I don't recall any of them vocalizing much until it became public knowledge that the Pats wanted him.

The world thought Randy Moss was a washed up loser, that is until he took the field in 07. Now he's the answer to everybody's prayers. Amen Chad-sorry ;)

I have a feeling 99% of the QB's in the league would love to have him, although I don't recall any of them vocalizing much until it became public knowledge that the Pats wanted him.

The world thought Randy Moss was a washed up loser, that is until he took the field in 07. Now he's the answer to everybody's prayers. Amen Chad-sorry ;)

If the other GMs were SO prescient about the 2007 Moss they'd have offered a higher than 4th round pick for the guy. None did.

If the other GMs were SO prescient about the 2007 Moss they'd have offered a higher than 4th round pick for the guy. None did.

Not a one. BB wanted him for two years prior to when we actually acquired him. The Pats passed at least once because Moss wanted something like 10 million (?) at the time. A time when he'd yet to prove anything beyond his words that he needed to play for a winning team. Nobody believed him, and everybody doubted him right up until minicamp, even beyond.

The Moss deal should go down in NFL history as one of the best moves ever. People can say what they want about Belichick but nobody can touch him when it comes to being foresighted and bringing out the very best in a player. Brady contributes to that as well.

Moss would not have worked out the way he has with any other team or any other coach, and probably not any other QB. He used to be #6 here;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes