PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

VIDEO: Bennett Weirdest Dude in the NFL and Proud of It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool guy who seems like he has his path in life figured out. Great to see.

Very cool guy who seems like he has his path in life figured out. Great to see.
I would change that slightly. He has his relationship in life figured out. Events have an uncanny tendency to change our paths.

Gotta love Marty, i really hope everything goes right this season and he can stick around.
I love me some Marty Bennett after the first three weeks, and I think he'll only excel once Brady returns and their game planning slightly changes. But I don't know how you keep a guy like him past this season with all the other guys due for extensions. He's a one-year rental and I think the team views him as such. But I agree with you 100 percent in that I wish there was a way (and just maybe is a way) we can keep him. I just don't see it as a likely scenario, especially if he plays well statistically.

Last edited:
I love me some Marty Bennett after the first three weeks, and I think he'll only excel once Brady returns and they're game planning slightly changes. But I don't know how you keep a guy like him past this season with all the other guys due for extensions. He's a one-year rental and I think the team views him as such. But I agree with you 100 percent in that I wish there was a way (and just maybe is a way) we can keep him. I just don't see it as a likely scenario, especially if he plays well statistically.

I think he is the happiest now, that he has ever been in the NFL* and I'm hopeful that he will take a bit less to stay a part of this team.

He has made Gronk's absence this year virtually unnoticeable

I would change that slightly. He has his relationship in life figured out. Events have an uncanny tendency to change our paths.
And I as well ...... "Events have an uncanny tendency to change the paths of some of us"

I think he is the happiest now, that he has ever been in the NFL* and I'm hopeful that he will take a bit less to stay a part of this team.

He has made Gronk's absence this year virtually unnoticeable
Yeah, he's stated this is the happiest he's ever been and I, like you, am hopeful as well. But money is money, and guys have to strike while the iron is hot, especially in the NFL. A player typically only gets a chance for a huge pay day twice and maybe three times in the NFL. Consider that every player's career is one hit away from being kaput . . . can you blame some guys for going for the money, especially when they're still relatively young? I think that's why so many were angry with Revis (though I'm sure they're happy now). He was an aging player who finally won something and many thought he'd stay. I didn't fault him, though. When you can make the kind of money he's making with as much guaranteed as he got at his age, I think you'd be stupid not to take it. Revis is getting his no matter how many times he is getting burned for big plays. Marty, as happy as he may be, will want to get paid if he has a great season, and I can't necessarily say I blame him. But again, I really hope he stays. NE will offer him something that is fair, but it will come down to how much he values himself and if another team is willing to pay that if it so happens to be more than the value NE places on him.

Sports, to me, is never about just money, but money is always a factor at the professional level obviously. Players are getting paid on past accomplishments each time they extend or sign a new contract past the rookie contract . . . and even the rookie contract has an element to it where a player is getting paid (indirectly) for past accomplishments, albeit it a lesser level. It's just the nature of one-year rentals especially. If the guy plays well, then he's likely gone if you can't or won't pony up the kind of money he feels he deserves. Your hope as the organization is that he did what you wanted him to do during that one year and that it turns out somewhat like the Revis signing, which I still believe had as much an impact on winning the SB as anything else that season.

I mean how can you hate a guy who is smart enough to give a TED talk. I WANT these kinds of guys on my team. And I think that part of the genius that is BB is that he wants them too...and can deal with them because he is as smart as they are and isn't intimidated by their "differentness".

The key quote here is from Reiss' story, "I caught 90 balls, and lost a ton of games, and its not much fun".

Now as for his future, clearly the Pats can't afford to pay him what he's worth as an elite, full service, starting TE. So normally you'd say he's gone. It was nice to have him here, but you can't keep everyone. BUT, this guy is clearly NOT everyone. Staying here for a lot less (say in the 5-6MM range, when he could get $8MM elsewhere) might still be the best thing for him BECAUSE he's a lot more than just a TE.

By staying here be become associated with winning. He can finish his career on a good team, in a great environment, that appreciates his skills as well as his personality. Then there are the financial benefits, especially for a "creative type" who animates, makes movies, writes books, etc. Knowing guys like Kraft, Brady, Mark Wahlberg, Damen, etc could open doors and generate investments that would be FAR more valuable to him long term, than the 2 or 3 Million in salary for a few years he could get elsewhere before the game beats you up and spits you out.

I only say this BECAUSE, Marty is a different sort of guy than most guys. He's a guy who ACTUALLY has options beyond football and a future in the media.

BTW- Great OP, but bad title. Weird is definitely NOT a word I'd use to describe Marty Bennett...far from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes