Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

August 10, 2006
Vick: 2 series

The Falcons will have quarterback Michael Vick start and play two series against the Patriots in Friday night's preseason opener, the Atlanta Journal- Constitution reports (registration required).

Atlanta will then turn things over to backup Matt Schaub for the remainder of the first half.

The report also indicates that tight end Alge Crumpler likely won't play.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 07:35:37 AM

Last edited:
Good. Schaub will be a more well-rounded test for the defense.

Rumor has it that Vick is dealing with a tweaked hammy.

Poor baby.

Vick's take:

"We're going out there to just have fun, try to put some points up early," Vick said. "It's different in preseason. You know your snaps are going to be limited. You don't get an opportunity to get into much of a rhythm. You just have to go out there and take it for what it's worth, take advantage of your time out there.

"I'm not really a big fan of preseason. I spend more time standing on the sideline chewing up sunflower seeds more than anything."

I hope we can take vick out early.I do agree with the last post on saying that Schaub is a more rounded quarterback in the fact that he is more prone to staying in the pocket and not taking off running like a little girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that in bold because we are supposed to think it is a bad thing that Vick hates the preseason because he watches the game and doesn't play?

Do you think Tom Brady or any competitive player feels differently about standing there watching?

Veterans all hate the preseason.

dhamz said:
Is that in bold because we are supposed to think it is a bad thing that Vick hates the preseason because he watches the game and doesn't play?

Do you think Tom Brady or any competitive player feels differently about standing there watching?

Veterans all hate the preseason.

Yes, but how many veteran starting quarterbacks are still "trying to learn the system" in the team they've been with in their entire career?

As lately as last season, the AJC quoted Jim Mora Jr as saying that about his starter. There is lots of ongoing pressure in ATL by "true" Falcons fans (of which there are not many) to make Schaub the starter.

Hmm.... I kinda wish Crumpler would play, especially in the preseason. He killed us last year. You know BB was been scheming on covering TE's and I wonder who on our 1st team defense would cover him? Almost every good TE did a lot of damage against us (Gonzalez, D Clark Gates).

Ichiro said:
Hmm.... I kinda wish Crumpler would play, especially in the preseason. He killed us last year. You know BB was been scheming on covering TE's and I wonder who on our 1st team defense would cover him? Almost every good TE did a lot of damage against us (Gonzalez, D Clark Gates).

And some not-so-good ones. Zach Hilton comes to mind.

dryheat44 said:
And some not-so-good ones. Zach Hilton comes to mind.

Yeah I remember Kris Mangum hurdling down the field on us. TE's are becoming the emphasis for a lot of teams, and I'd like to see the plan we have.

I imagine Brady will play around 2 drives as well. This will quickly become all about the Matt's. It will be interesting to see whose Matt gets the best spin coming out of this one. Although given the relative importance of each this season it's likely both will be out shortly into the third quarter. Will be interesting to see which one of Bramlet/Mortenson gets the nod first after that and how they respond to live game action With an NFLE season under his belt Mortenson should look more the part and if he doesn't I imagine he'll quckly become odd man out come September.

MoLewisrocks said:
This will quickly become all about the Matt's. It will be interesting to see whose Matt gets the best spin coming out of this one. Although given the relative importance of each this season it's likely both will be out shortly into the third quarter.

I always thought Schaub would be traded in the offseason. I thought some team would make an offer to the Falcons that would blow them away (a second or maybe even a first round pick) I guess it shows how much the Falcons think of Vick's durability.

milwaukeebeers44 said:
Yes, but how many veteran starting quarterbacks are still "trying to learn the system" in the team they've been with in their entire career?

As lately as last season, the AJC quoted Jim Mora Jr as saying that about his starter. There is lots of ongoing pressure in ATL by "true" Falcons fans (of which there are not many) to make Schaub the starter.

Vick is a child who cares about his own comfort more than anything. Did you see him wrapped up on the sidelines during that game in Chicago last year? You could tell he was more worried about keeping warm than winning the game. I don't think anyone takes football very seriously in Atlanta, including the fans. To them, it's all about "having fun" and looking good doing it; winning is secondary. The Falcons are more suited to the NBA than the NFL.

Last edited:
Ichiro said:
I always thought Schaub would be traded in the offseason. I thought some team would make an offer to the Falcons that would blow them away (a second or maybe even a first round pick) I guess it shows how much the Falcons think of Vick's durability.

I believe that the Falcons were offered a late first round pick for Schaub. They turned it down. They're still not sold on Vick's future as quarterback down there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Schaub is a future starting NFL QB. If the Falcons have any brains it will be for them. He wil be the Bart Starr to Ron Mexicos's version of Paul Hornung.

But chances are they are stupid and will continue to play Vick and he will pile up 50-60 yards a game rushing. And as a QB, will have a tough time completing 50% of his passes or surpassing 100 yards a game passing either. HOF credentials for a QB, Yessiree.

Facing Schaub without second and third stringers will be a test.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back