PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vick accepts plea deal [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Vick accepts plea deal

What a great opportunity to do some good the NAACP has just blown. What a shame. They could have used this as a time to come out strong against this behavior and the hip-hop culture that breeds it. They could have done something positive for young black kids.

Just a terrible shame!
From what I understand it's the Atlanta Chapter that has taken this stance NOT the National. It is quite a shame they have taken this stance.

What a great opportunity to do some good the NAACP has just blown. What a shame. They could have used this as a time to come out strong against this behavior and the hip-hop culture that breeds it. They could have done something positive for young black kids.

Just a terrible shame!

You're ignorant if you think hip hop is what breeds a culture of dog fighting.

That was my first thought when I saw that post. I'm missing the connection between hip hop culture and dog fighting.

Within the black community at least, hip hop feeds the gangsta street culture of "keeping it real" which in real world cultural terms equates to young black men rebelliously, arrogantly and foolishly keeping it stupid. There are obviously other cultural factors involved as well since dog fighting, just like poverty and ignorance, crosses racial lines.

As the ESPN2 columnist said when she nailed it in her open letter to young black men:

"Let this historic unraveling be a wake-up call for the young, black men caught up in the same lifestyle that claimed Vick. Let his prison sentence send the message that a continued allegiance to street culture successfully keeps young, black men frighteningly behind in American society..."

Whoa there, not so fast. Hardcore hip-hop culture might not have invented dogfighting, but it has ADOPTED IT with open arms. The pit bull has a lot of street cred as a vicious attack animal, and has become popular with inner-city gangs. In fact, it's been known for gangs to replaced rumbles with dogfights to settle turf wars.

Allow me to retort.

I have read many articles and newspapers and seen many reports over the past months that this is all part of the culture of (hip hop/rap). Not saying that all hip hop and rap is bad, but there is a sub-culture that is connected to hip hop/rap. And, BTW this is not just a black thing there are many white kids involved.

Now if you have not read any of the numerous articles or seen the the numerous reports on several main stream news channels, it is you who are ignorant (i:e uninformed)

Edit: It took me 1 minute to find a CNN article on the "culture" and dog fighting.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayoflife/07/24/pitbull.culture.ap/

Just a short apology will be OK.

That article vaguely connects hip hop to pitbulls by saying that some rappers (who exactly?) use pitbulls to promote manhood. It didn't mention any connection to actual dogfights, just that hip hop promotes the dog itself as an accessory.

That article vaguely connects hip hop to pitbulls by saying that some rappers (who exactly?) use pitbulls to promote manhood. It didn't mention any connection to actual dogfights, just that hip hop promotes the dog itself as an accessory.

It doesn't take Alfred Einstien to see the link.

You can nit pick all you want but there are many other sources that link the two. You are the one who is implying that there is no link. So wouldn't it be be in your interest to do some research on the subject via credible main stream outlets?

Or, do you just want to deny and imply that others are ignorant.

The idea that hip-hop culture encourages dog-fighting is as uninformed and irresponsible as the notion that Rock-n-roll culture encourages drug use and unprotected sex.

The idea that hip-hop culture encourages dog-fighting is as uninformed and irresponsible as the notion that Rock-n-roll culture encourages drug use and unprotected sex.

I love satire

At the lower right corner of espnnews reads the following:
"Vick won't admit to killing dogs or gambling"

I guess he thinks that just bankrolling the operation won't be enough to warrent a lifetime suspension.

If I am the Federal Prosecutor, I say NO DEAL. You admit to everything or we proceed with the superceding indictment.

You don't get to pick which crimes you admit to Michael.

As Lester Munson, ESPN's own legal advisor explained to them, this makes no sense. Vick has no leverage. The Feds have several witnesses to his gambling and at least 2 to his killing dogs.

This is an attempt at an end around by Vick's crack legal team who made a mistake when they allowed him to plead guilty without a plea agreement in place. As Munson says, at this point the deal could just as easily fall apart since the Feds are under no obligation to accept a plea from Vick for anything less than they had previously offered - he has no leverage. The only offer on the table was plead guilty as charged or face a superceding indictment. That option still stands since the Judge merely put the Grand Jury on hold pending an anticipated plea agreement.

Maybe if they reconvene, they could listen to testimony from this guy, who seems to have first hand knowledge of things an informer and Deion Sanders alluded to earlier - Mike was fighting dogs out of college and this is his passion...:

Vick deeply into dogfighting, father says
QB's dad says he didn't abandon family

By BY MATT KEMPNER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/24/07

Michael Vick's father said he pushed his son to quit dogfighting years ago or, at least, put property used for the fights in the name of friends to avoid being implicated some day.

Michael Boddie, in two sometimes tearful interviews with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution this week, said some time around 2001 his son staged dogfights in the garage of the family's home in Newport News, Va. Boddie also said Vick kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including injured ones — "bit up, chewed up, exhausted" — that the father nursed back to health.

Boddie, who is estranged from his son, dismissed the idea that Vick's longtime friends were the main instigators of the dogfighting operation.

"I wish people would stop sugarcoating it," Boddie said. "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it."

He "likes it, and he has the capital to have a set up like that."

He said that, despite his earlier warnings to his son, he never expected Vick would someday face the dogfighting troubles he is in now.

"I thought he would have gotten out of it by then, gotten it out of his system."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/08/23/vickdad_0824.html

And those ignorant, inbred, country music-listening, nascar-watching, cross-burning rednecks would be just as wrong.

I normally don't respond to assinine comments like this, especially since I am none of the above except a redneck...but....this is one of the most ingnorant, dumbass comments I have read on these, or other boards, in a long time.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

As Lester Munson, ESPN's own legal advisor explained to them, this makes no sense. Vick has no leverage. The Feds have several witnesses to his gambling and at least 2 to his killing dogs.

This is an attempt at an end around by Vick's crack legal team who made a mistake when they allowed him to plead guilty without a plea agreement in place. As Munson says, at this point the deal could just as easily fall apart since the Feds are under no obligation to accept a plea from Vick for anything less than they had previously offered - he has no leverage. The only offer on the table was plead guilty as charged or face a superceding indictment. That option still stands since the Judge merely put the Grand Jury on hold pending an anticipated plea agreement.

Maybe if they reconvene, they could listen to testimony from this guy, who seems to have first hand knowledge of things an informer and Deion Sanders alluded to earlier - Mike was fighting dogs out of college and this is his passion...:

Vick deeply into dogfighting, father says
QB's dad says he didn't abandon family

By BY MATT KEMPNER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/24/07

Michael Vick's father said he pushed his son to quit dogfighting years ago or, at least, put property used for the fights in the name of friends to avoid being implicated some day.

Michael Boddie, in two sometimes tearful interviews with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution this week, said some time around 2001 his son staged dogfights in the garage of the family's home in Newport News, Va. Boddie also said Vick kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including injured ones — "bit up, chewed up, exhausted" — that the father nursed back to health.

Boddie, who is estranged from his son, dismissed the idea that Vick's longtime friends were the main instigators of the dogfighting operation.

"I wish people would stop sugarcoating it," Boddie said. "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it."

He "likes it, and he has the capital to have a set up like that."

He said that, despite his earlier warnings to his son, he never expected Vick would someday face the dogfighting troubles he is in now.

"I thought he would have gotten out of it by then, gotten it out of his system."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/08/23/vickdad_0824.html

Read somewhere this AM Vick's dad, had tried to "leverage" one million from him, do not understand how an estranged father could try to influence him to stop this practice.. another sperm donor comes out of the closet..Ok Michael Boddie you have had your 15 minutes of fame, we will pay you now....fade to black.

Read somewhere this AM Vick's dad, had tried to "leverage" one million from him, do not understand how an estranged father could try to influence him to stop this practice.. another sperm donor comes out of the closet..Ok Michael Boddie you have had your 15 minutes of fame, we will pay you now....fade to black.
Supposedly that "spem donor" lived with Vick and his mother from the age of 3 until he went away to VT. And Vick is still paying for his apartment now. So however much a loser he is, he's more than an absentee father.

This could blow up in his face..He has no leverage and now is backing off the particulars in the plea deal. The prosecutors should never accept it now as these charges are strong. Vick is trying to plead guilty to much lesser things NOT the heinous dog killing or the gambling...why? He knows if he does he will look a LOT worse...so avoid that. They should NOT accept anything but the deal on the table. Vick doesn''t like it and he can go to trial and be in for worse. AND it will be much worse.

This could blow up in his face..He has no leverage and now is backing off the particulars in the plea deal. The prosecutors should never accept it now as these charges are strong. Vick is trying to plead guilty to much lesser things NOT the heinous dog killing or the gambling...why? He knows if he does he will look a LOT worse...so avoid that. They should NOT accept anything but the deal on the table. Vick doesn''t like it and he can go to trial and be in for worse. AND it will be much worse.

Agreed. I think the point of not admitting to the killing/gambling is to avoid or minimize the state charges that DA Pointdexter said that he will pursue. If he admits it, it get easier to prove the state charges of killing dogs. BUT, his codefendants who admitted guilt earlier signed agreements under oath that Vick gambled and killed dogs. Are they to be punished more harshly than Vick?? I think the Feds refuse this and make him admit it or go to trial.
I'm curious as to whether in Federal court, a judge makes the defendant make an elocution (public admission of guilt and statement of the facts). The judge is not bound by the plea agreement in Federal court wrt the sentencing so he could sentence Vick to less or more time.....
Monday should be interesting but not necessarily in a postive way if you're Michael Vick....

This a-hole will never be truly remorseful. What a waste of space.

Are you sure the agreed-upon plea deal includes the killing/gambling? I'm wondering if it's possible that the feds are allowing him to plead guilty to just the interstate trafficking/conspiracy as part of the deal.

If gambling is taken off the table, this could complicate things for Goodell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back