PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vic Carucci on the Cassel Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the first of today's obligatory new threads on Matt Cassel. This from Vic Carucci on nfl.com:

Fixed your post for you. ;)

Seriously, though, it's an interesting (albeit a bit disturbing) read. There's one thing, though, that just makes me go "huh? :confused:":

According to the former NFL cap manager, who also requested anonymity, New England is prepared to handle the consequences of having nearly $30 million of its cap devoted to quarterbacks (Brady's cap figure is $14.62 million) because it has streamlined the salaries of front-office personnel. That allows for greater availability of cash to be spent over the cap, even though contracts are compliant with the actual cap total.

I don't think anyone's really arguing that the Patriots can't literally afford to sign players, so I just don't get Carucci's point here.

Fixed your post for you. ;)

Seriously, though, it's an interesting (albeit a bit disturbing) read. There's one thing, though, that just makes me go "huh? :confused:":

I don't think anyone's really arguing that the Patriots can't literally afford to sign players, so I just don't get Carucci's point here.

I didn't understand that at all either. I have no idea what he means by suggesting that FO and player salaries are connected. But the rest of the article is interesting, and suggests that the Pats are under no immediate pressure to move Cassel unless someone is willing to pony up a reasonable offer. While I think they would like to trade him early and resolve his situation before FA, they aren't bluffing and won't rush to move him cheaply, as some people suggest. The closer to the season, the more teams will be willing to overspend for viable QB options.

Putting the Browns as a suitor reminds me of the Crypt Keeper Clayton thread.

As the QB-needy teams prepare for the draft and FA, one guiding rule of thumb for these teams is -- resolve their QB situation sooner rather than later. In other words, why bother considering any of the QB draft prospects when they may be a serious contender for Cassel. This will allow them to focus on their other team needs. Once they get past the "Is Cassel worthy to be our starting QB?" consideration, the only other requirements are:

- Can they match the Pats compensation price?
- Can they afford Cassel's multi-year contract?

Surely there has to be at least one team who says yay to all, and will want Cassel in TC and on time.

Putting the Browns as a suitor reminds me of the Crypt Keeper Clayton thread.

for some reason, i just don't see bb trading cassel to mangini. just my opinion. i could be wrong and super chicken may be right.

for some reason, i just don't see bb trading cassel to mangini. just my opinion. i could be wrong and super chicken may be right.

No way Cleveland deals for Cassel, too much is already recently invested in Anderson and Quinn.

I think KC, Tampa and Washington are the leading candidates to land Cassel, if a trade does happen. I see Kurt Warner landing in Minnesota (most likely contender of QB needy teams). Tampa needs to decide if they are going to try to win with this roster or if it is time to rebuild. If they think they have the right guys in place to win, then Cassel would easily be worth their #1. Washington is a dark horse but it is very likely in my mind that Snyder is fed up with waiting for Jason Campbell to develop.

I would love the the Skins to make a move because they have great draft position (#13 would put us in prime position to land a top pass rusher or 3-4 ready defensive lineman). Also they have veteran depth that other potential suitors lack and could offer a useful player in return.

No way Cleveland deals for Cassel, too much is already recently invested in Anderson and Quinn.

I think KC, Tampa and Washington are the leading candidates to land Cassel, if a trade does happen. I see Kurt Warner landing in Minnesota (most likely contender of QB needy teams). Tampa needs to decide if they are going to try to win with this roster or if it is time to rebuild. If they think they have the right guys in place to win, then Cassel would easily be worth their #1. Washington is a dark horse but it is very likely in my mind that Snyder is fed up with waiting for Jason Campbell to develop.

I would love the the Skins to make a move because they have great draft position (#13 would put us in prime position to land a top pass rusher or 3-4 ready defensive lineman). Also they have veteran depth that other potential suitors lack and could offer a useful player in return.

We will do no better than KC's #2 or anyone's high R2. You can forget about a #1 pick, teams aren't going to part with that for Cassel. I'm not saying they're correct, I'm just saying that's how I see the field out there based on all the stuff I've read. So we'll have to see who calls who's bluff with BB and the suitors. BB might have to realize a #2 is the best he can get for him and simply bite the bullet and be happy that he was able to parlay a 7th round draft pick into a high R2.

We will do no better than KC's #2 or anyone's high R2. You can forget about a #1 pick, teams aren't going to part with that for Cassel. I'm not saying they're correct, I'm just saying that's how I see the field out there based on all the stuff I've read. So we'll have to see who calls who's bluff with BB and the suitors. BB might have to realize a #2 is the best he can get for him and simply bite the bullet and be happy that he was able to parlay a 7th round draft pick into a high R2.

I agree 100%

The Patriots did the right thing by franchising Cassel. I think if the Patriots couldn't get a 1st round pick, they would be happy with 2 mid round picks with a future pick thrown in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back