PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vic Carucci AFC playoff predictions: Patriots won't be a part of postseason action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Vic Carucci AFC playoff predictions: Patriots won't be a part of postseason actio

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

If for some reason the Pats don't remain one game ahead in the division, here are the current tiebreakers:

1. - Head-to-Head: move on, the Pats split against both teams - though Miami would win this tiebreaker against the Jets
2. - Division Record: Miami is 4-2, the Pats are 3-2, so the Buffalo game will be important. The Jets lose out again, as they are 2-4.
3. - Common Games: it's getting late, maybe I'll check that out tomorrow.
4. - Conference Record: Pats are 5-4, Miami is 5-5, Jets are 4-4.

Bottom line is that while all four games are important for the Pats, Sunday's game actually has the least impact on the standings - though a loss could be crushing emotionally. As far as the standings go the Buffalo game is the most important, followed by the Jacksonville and Houston games.

Last edited:
Re: Vic Carucci AFC playoff predictions: Patriots won't be a part of postseason actio

Just hope for a Pats win and a Jets and Phin loses and that will wrap up the division for us. I could see both losing those games.

Last four games:

Miami: at Jacksonville, at Tennessee, Houston, Pittsburgh
Jets: at Tampa Bay, Atlanta, at Indianapolis, Cincinnati
Pats: Carolina, at Buffalo, Jacksonville, at Houston

Obviously it's possible, but I find it very doubtful that either the Jets or Dolphins win all four of their remaining games.

Do we even want to go to the playoffs? We'd be one and done for sure, just don't want to see us be embarassed....endless gloating on how the game seems to have passed us by.

At this point you almost want to play for a better draft pick, i'm half kidding but I'm not going to make the mistake of rooting for a bunch of chokers, learned my lesson the hard way in indy, no, and miami. Fool me once!

It'll be interesting to see how the team reacts now that the wheels are coming off the bus so to speak.

Do we even want to go to the playoffs? We'd be one and done for sure, just don't want to see us be embarassed....endless gloating on how the game seems to have passed us by.

At this point you almost want to play for a better draft pick, i'm half kidding but I'm not going to make the mistake of rooting for a bunch of chokers, learned my lesson the hard way in indy, no, and miami. Fool me once!

It'll be interesting to see how the team reacts now that the wheels are coming off the bus so to speak.

You must be NEP's alter ego.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
1. - Head-to-Head: move on, the Pats split against both teams - though Miami would win this tiebreaker against the Jets
2. - Division Record: Miami is 4-2, the Pats are 3-2, so the Buffalo game will be important. The Jets lose out again, as they are 2-4.
3. - Common Games: it's getting late, maybe I'll check that out tomorrow.
4. - Conference Record: Pats are 5-4, Miami is 5-5, Jets are 4-4.

Last four games:
Miami: at Jacksonville, at Tennessee, Houston, Pittsburgh
Jets: at Tampa Bay, Atlanta, at Indianapolis, Cincinnati
Pats: Carolina, at Buffalo, Jacksonville, at Houston

Seriously, congratulations to Carucci for sucking at math. Assume for argument's sake that the Pats go 2-2 the rest of the way to finish at 9-7 (which I would honestly find appalling):

- Then, the Jets would need to go 4-0, besting both the Colts & Bengals with possibly the mighty Kellen Clemens at the helm, since they lose to the Pats on the 2nd tie-breaker.

- The Dolphins would need to go at least 3-1 against some potentially stout competition and would need help.

Really, I doubt this race is even going to the wire.

Last edited:

Seriously, congratulations to Carucci for sucking at math. Assume for argument's sake that the Pats go 2-2 the rest of the way to finish at 9-7 (which I would honestly find appalling):

- Then, the Jets would need to go 4-0, besting both the Colts & Bengals with possibly the mighty Kellen Clemens at the helm, since they lose to the Pats on the 2nd tie-breaker.

- The Dolphins would need to go at least 3-1 against some potentially stout competition and would need help.

Really, I doubt this race is even going to the wire.

jets can win their next 4.Indy will be resting manning and it isnt even sorgi starting. Cincy wouldve already clinched and what big motivation would thye have to beat the jets on the road. They lost to the raiders. Thats the reason i felt the jets are a bigger threat than the fins .
For the pats the next two games are the most crucial esp the one against the bills.On the road that is going to be a tough game without jauron to win.

let's see what will happens on the field

notwithstanding problems we have, i would be still surprised if we will be out the play-offs

jets can win their next 4.Indy will be resting manning and it isnt even sorgi starting. Cincy wouldve already clinched and what big motivation would thye have to beat the jets on the road. They lost to the raiders. Thats the reason i felt the jets are a bigger threat than the fins .
For the pats the next two games are the most crucial esp the one against the bills.On the road that is going to be a tough game without jauron to win.

Anything's possible, but the Jets could just as easily go 0-4 as they could go 4-0.

Screw Vic, this is coming from the say guy that broke the masterplan that the Patriots were going to trade for Peppers and draft Maualuga.

Well obviously Pitt, is out of it.. So that game will mean nothing to the steelers at the end.. .Need a jax win this weekend , a Tampa upset , and for us to take care of buisness.. If we dont win out we dont deserve the playoffs..

mia @ jac

mia @ ten

mia vs houston

mia vs pit

i say the fish end the season at 8-8

jets @ TB

jets vs ATL

jets @ indy

jets vs cincy

Mark Sanchez is not playing this week so that means the jets wil win and if Kellen Clemens has a good game dont look for Sanchez to play again this year

the bucks are just a bad team ATL is falling fast if indy is not going for 16-0 they may not play there starters in that game and if cincy has the #2 seed locked up they wont play there starters for a full game

the jets may win 9 games

the pats should go 3 and 1 but this week will tell it all for the pats if they loose then it's over

Actually Vic it's the OFFENSE THAT'S BEEN ATROCIOUS and the defense that's been out of synch.
Are these media people (and many fans) blinded by the star power of this atrocious offense or what??
Let's review.
ZERO POINTS = 2nd half Denver
ZERO POINTS = 2nd half Jets
TEN POINTS (2 red zone TO's) = 2nd half Colts
SEVEN POINTS = 2nd half Saints
SEVEN POINTS (2 TO's - 1 red zone) = last 3 quarters Dolphins

Look again Vic. His prediction may come true but it won't be because of the defense.

Last edited:

Yes, do we want to end up like the sure one and done Cardinals lastn year? Or how about the year before when after losing to the Pats in the last game of the regular season to the Pats, the Giants were going to be one and done going to Tampa in the 2007 season? Or in the 2006 season the Colts with the statistically worst run defense in history was supposed to be one and done going into KC to face the leagues #2 rusher in Larry Johnson? Or how about the year before that when the one and done, Wild Card team Steelers were going into the unstoppable Indy?

At least one of the participants of the last four Super Bowls and three of the winners were all odds on favorites to be one and done. They all caught lightning in the bottle and shocked the football world. The Pats have the potential for the same. May never happen, but the last four years have shown that if you get in the dance anything can happen.

I love the Pats, but winning all four could be a challenge. Player discontent is like a metastasizing cancer.

Vic Carucci?.........Isn't he the guy that broke the story of the Pats trading a 2nd round pick for Julius Peppers?:rolleyes:

How'd that work out?

Yes, do we want to end up like the sure one and done Cardinals lastn year? Or how about the year before when after losing to the Pats in the last game of the regular season to the Pats, the Giants were going to be one and done going to Tampa in the 2007 season? Or in the 2006 season the Colts with the statistically worst run defense in history was supposed to be one and done going into KC to face the leagues #2 rusher in Larry Johnson? Or how about the year before that when the one and done, Wild Card team Steelers were going into the unstoppable Indy?

At least one of the participants of the last four Super Bowls and three of the winners were all odds on favorites to be one and done. They all caught lightning in the bottle and shocked the football world. The Pats have the potential for the same. May never happen, but the last four years have shown that if you get in the dance anything can happen.

Great post.

Now is the time when one game at a time means everything. If they can stay focused oin the task ahead each week, they can get in the playoffs and maybe get 1) lucky and/or 2) the Tom Brady we know and love returns and is clutch again in big games.

Actually Vic it's the OFFENSE THAT'S BEEN ATROCIOUS and the defense that's been out of synch.
Are these media people (and many fans) blinded by the star power of this atrocious offense or what??
Let's review.
ZERO POINTS = 2nd half Denver
ZERO POINTS = 2nd half Jets
TEN POINTS (2 red zone TO's) = 2nd half Colts
SEVEN POINTS = 2nd half Saints
SEVEN POINTS (2 TO's - 1 red zone) = last 3 quarters Dolphins

Look again Vic. His prediction may come true but it won't be because of the defense.

It could very well be because of the defense. Yes, the offense has struggled, but let's not let the defense off the hook.

The Colts did score 35 points against the Pats. The offense scored 34 points and eventhough they didn't follow through in the end, if the offense scores 34 the defense should be able to hold the other team to 33 or less.

The defense allowed Brees to throw 5 TDs on 23 passing attempts (that is a TD every 4.6 pass attempts). It wasn't like the Pats' defense just had really poor field position and Brees scored easy TDs. Brees had TD passes of 75 yards, 35 yards, 18 yards, and 20 yards. Only one of his TD passes was within 20 yards. The Saints were 3-2 in TDs on redzone attempts and scored on all but one.

Last weekend, the Pats allowed Chad Henne to pass for his career high in yards and tie his career high in TDs.

Yes, the offense deserves a lot of the blame for the losses, but to say that they have been attrocious and the defense is merely out of synch is just not right. The defensive pass rush has been non-existent all year. The secondary has been inconsistent because of it all year. Personally, I think it is the offense that is out of synch since it has been brilliant several times this year.

I know it is the New England thing to blame the offense for every loss, but it isn't the case. Carrucci might not be right to ignore the offense in his analysis, but he is right on that the defense has been a problem for this team. To put all the losses solely on the offense is factually incorrect.

things will certainly be clearer after this week.

conceding one wildcard spot to the broncos (10-6 worst case given home games against oakland and KC)

the jags have to play the dolphins this week......the loser is the team that is in the most trouble when it comes to making the playoffs. if miami loses, they have 7 losses and the jags only 5....the jags will pretty much lock down the wildcard. and then the dolphins need the pats to go 2-2 and win out themselves

if the dolphins win, then there is a very good chance for the wildcard to come out of the AFC east and with the pats holding the card over the jets in tie breakers.....

the pats really have to still screw the pooch to not make the playoffs. and if they don't its on their heads....they're still in the drivers seat and can take care of businesss themselves

Gosh, it looks like the Patriots will be in the playoffs after all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back