Welcome to PatsFans.com

Veterans and troops

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +286 / 11 / -10

One of things that struck me about the Democratic Convention was the emphasis on veterans and troops. Obama's record on our troops was talked about at length, and virtually every major speaker spoke with passion about the service of our troops and our obligation to them, which is apparently backed by Obama's record. These remarks consistently won chants of USA! USA! from the crowd.

Given that Romney ignored our troops and Afghanistan in his address, it was a powerful plan by the Democrats. I think the Democratic connection to our troops is that many of them are lower income and middle class people who are trying to make a difference. Both Jill Biden and Michelle Obama have made our troops a central effort of theirs, Joe Biden has a son who fought in Afghanistan, and Obama does have a significant number of achievements that our troops can be proud of.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out during the election. One thing is for sure -- Romney made a big mistake by ignoring our troops in his speech, though not as a big a mistake as Obama would would have made if he ignored our troops.

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

I mentioned in another thread yesterday or so that the democrats have taken that away from the republicans. Republicans are more about money spent on weaponry than the troops.

3. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

I wonder where the posts about he evil military industrial complex have gone to since Bush is no longer in office.

We know Obama is as much in bed with them as Bush ever was.

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +286 / 11 / -10

I think Obama is interested in the troops more than in the military industrial complex. As Icy pointed out above, "Republicans are more about money spent on weaponry than the troops," which I think your post sort of confirms.

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Laughable since Obama is actively trying to disenfranchise military voters perhaps because they are supporting Romney by a +27 margin:

Disenfranchised Military Voters, National Problem | US Daily Review

Newsroom « MVP Project

6. Charlotte Pats Fan

Charlotte Pats Fan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +113 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

Haven't 70% of all the causualties in Afganastan on Obamas watch? (Google it. I'm not providing a link)

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +286 / 11 / -10

Ah, that dog don't hunt, pf13 ;) I think your spinning links to suggest there's some sort of conspiracy, but the report seems to compare current 2012 absentee votes to 2008 totals. Obviously, it's still early in the election, and obviously there's less enthusiasm in this election. But, certainly, I would support blanket calls to call for improved voting for all people. At any rate, this has nothing to do with the fact that Romney simply ignored people like you who I believe served our nation.

http://mvpproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Bleak-Picture-for-Military-Voters.pdf

8. Hamar

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

Really? Do the dead troops in Afghanistan know that? I love how he has shrunk the defense budget and stop companies like Haliburton from profiting.

Obama is as bad as Bush and worse, no amount of sugar will coat his crap.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +286 / 11 / -10

I agree with you, but my point is that it's interesting how the Dems are trying to expand the coalition to include Dems. Obama has been a moderate Democrat for the most part, and that's especially true of his foreign policy. I guess he's not far enough to the left for you?

10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Obama changed the rules of engagement in Afghanistan putting troops at greater risk.

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

They speak of Obama not enforcing the congressional another law he choose not to enforce.

12. Charlotte Pats Fan

Charlotte Pats Fan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +113 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

And amazingly (not) the MSM stopped talking about Afghanistan in the last 4 or so years.

13. Hamar

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

My problem is not so much with Obama in this regard, it is more with the left's perception.

It is somewhat like how whenever someone from the "right" brings up soldier's deaths or civilians killed, then the left says that is politicizing death. Yet, when a "R" was President we saw daily kill scores and so forth and that was just telling it as it was.

Or, how when civilians were killed by American actions it was all put on Bush's shoulders because he was CIC, and when American soldiers now kill civilians (yes, those are Americans flying those drones too) It has nothing to do with the CIC because he does not directly command the troops nor is he responsible for their mental health.

I can go on about the different perceptions, and yes it is not just the left that is guilty of this, but the left wants to pretend that democrats don't use tax loopholes, they don't lie, they are not as rich as the right, they did not sign off on the wars, they don't__ fill in the blank.

What a crock of___

14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +415 / 12 / -26

What is interesting is the language of the conventions, comparing how many times words were used at the DNC vs. RNC...

This is the number of mentions per 25,000 words..

Dems used the word Veteran 16 times Republicans used it 2 times
    Dems used the word war 19 times Republicans used it 9 times
    Dems used the word Military 12 times Republicans used it 5 times...

Might expect this from a party who has a leader, who protested for Viet Nam and then went off to pedal his bike on the French Countryside instead of going to war or serving his country. And then bragged about how his sons were serving their country by riding around in a Winnebago helping their father get elected.

15. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +86 / 14 / -9

Obama did not make too many friends in the Military when he APOLIGIZED for
    the buring of the Quran dispite the fact that two of our troops were killed.

The Qurans were burnt because they were defaced Quran's.

The Obama apoligy really hurt the morale of the troops.
    I got this info from my neighbor who was stationed in Afghanastan at the
    time.

I believe it will take a little more than a teleprompter based pep-rally
    to win back their support.

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +415 / 12 / -26

So I guess the right is ok with Myth's completely ignoring the military in his acceptance speech.. he also ignored Afghanistan as well.

17. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +86 / 14 / -9

Well he didn't apoligize to the people who killed out troops.
    Sometimes it is better to say nothing at all.

18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +415 / 12 / -26

Than to remove all doubt and make a complete fool of himself.

Myth has no military references in his life, he protested for the war in Viet Nam and then went off to pedal his bike through the French countryside for two years.. with the rest of the "fortuante" sons.

In 2008 he as asked why has none of his sons ever served in the military, to which Myth responded.. "They serve their country by trying to get me elected"... as they drove across Iowa in their Winnebago.

19. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +86 / 14 / -9

Your probably right on all counts.....
    but he never ever... apoligized to people who killed our troops.
    You cannot say the same about our commander and chief.

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +286 / 11 / -10

The American left does not support Obama, though probably will end up voting for him. I know a number of people on the left who donated money and time to him in 2008, but because of Afghanistan, Guantanimo, the failure to go after Wall Street, and so on, are not enthusiastic this time around. Of course, when Bush was president, you had the left and the mainstream Democrats united so the opposition was much louder. Just as with Obama as President, the far right and the mainstream Republicans were united. Obama still has problems with the left, particularly with groups live OWS.

But, in the end these are political decision. I don't support Obama because of his stand on Afghanistan, but I do support him because of his stand gay rights, women's rights, health care, global warming, and the stimulus. In order to protect those issues, I'm willing to try to defend him on things I'm less pleased with. That's the nature of politics.