PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Veteran UFA Quarterbacks - who would you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Hypothetically, let's say that Cassel is traded, Brady isn't quite ready for Week 1, and O'Connell is still deemed too green.

Who among the UFA QBs would you prefer if Brady needs to sit out the first 1 to 3 games?

(I took out Kurt Warner - I think its a given that he stays in AZ or retires)

My initial gut reaction was that Losman knows the AFC East opponents the best - and that our coaches know his weaknesses well and might be able to mask them. But I'm not as up on the rest of the UFA QBs.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

Brian St. Pierre, Cardinals.

J.P. Losman, Bills.

Kyle Boller, Ravens.

Todd Bouman, Ravens.

Rex Grossman, Bears.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bengals.

Brooks Bollinger, Cowboys.

Patrick Ramsey, Broncos.

Dan Orlovsky, Lions.

Joey Harrington, Saints.

David Carr, Giants.

Anthony Wright, Giants.

Marques Tuiasosopo, Raiders.

Charlie Batch, Steelers.

Byron Leftwich, Steelers.

Jamie Martin, 49ers.

J.T. O’Sullivan, 49ers.

Charlie Frye, Seahawks.

Jeff Garcia, Buccaneers.

Luke McCown, Buccaneers.

Kerry Collins, Titans.

Chris Simms, Titans.

Source: NFL Players Association.

Leftwich, Garcia, and Collins... I'd want to see the schedule to make the final order.

David Carr, Kerry Collins, Patrick Ramsey, and JP Losman are the ones I'd consider.

David Carr, Kerry Collins, Patrick Ramsey, and JP Losman are the ones I'd consider.

Agreed ! I believe David Carr would be a perfect fit. I live in NY, and I got to see him play, and I think he is a good QB. He was with an absolutely horrid team in Houston, but once he got to play with a good team (the Giants), he looked really good. I think he'd be a perfect pickup, but may cost too much.

Ramsey, Batch, O'Sullivan.

In other words : someone cheap who can be so-so at best while waiting. To be honest, I'd still prefer O'Connell and have one these weirdos back him up.

In all honesty?

I'd over-night to each one of them a game tape with instructions.

The instructions would be:
Read the following instructions.

1) Sign your name: _______________________________ Then return

2) You are to review the enclosed game tape.
3) Break down each offensive play and the defense lined up against it.
4) Enclose the tape and your break down in the overnight envelope provided.

Whomever followed the instructions would be brought in for interviews.

:D

Quite possibly O'Connell, but I am very high on these two:

Kyle Boller, Ravens.
Luke McCown, Buccaneers.

and I used to be high on these two (not quite sure now):
J.P. Losman, Bills.
David Carr, Giants.

and this guy was pretty impressive last year (just don't ask J. Allen):
Dan Orlovsky, Lions.

The point is moot. Until Cassel is traded, what little cap room is available will be needed for more critical players than any listed in this crop of over-priced or incapable Free Agents.

Seriously, at this point, I'd rather have O'Connell and Gutierrez or even some random QB the Pats took a 7th-round flier on this year.

Although I have to say that I'm sure David Carr would love to have Logan Mankins blocking for him again. :D

Last edited:
I don't know who I would prefer, but I would be very curious to see what the Pats could do with Kyle Boller and David Carr. Are they really busts, or could they be developed into solid players? Carr was beaten up so badly his first 3 years with Houston, it really messed him up. Boller has shown flashes of being good, with long spells of poor accuracy and decision making. Don't know if either is the guy I would pick, but it would be interesting to find out.

What a motley crew. yeuchh

I don't know who I would prefer, but I would be very curious to see what the Pats could do with Kyle Boller and David Carr. Are they really busts, or could they be developed into solid players? Carr was beaten up so badly his first 3 years with Houston, it really messed him up. Boller has shown flashes of being good, with long spells of poor accuracy and decision making. Don't know if either is the guy I would pick, but it would be interesting to find out.

Carr's gone completely gun shy.

Carr's gone completely gun shy.

Not to mention the white gloves.... I mean is he quarterbacking or getting ready to give a prostate exam?

david-white-gloves-carr.jpg

Which of those stiffs can manage the game the best without making a costly mistake time in and time again?

I guess I might go with Charlie Batch or Jeff Garcia, both of whom have played pretty well in spoit duty. Garcia seems like somewhat of a headcase, although that hasn't stopped BB in recent years. :)

Yes, I think they are both really busts, Carr more than Boller.

Carr is the perfect example of a guy with great talent and skills messed up by poor coaching. Throwing him into the fire with an expansion team was the worst decision the Texans could have made.

I think the ridiculous work-over Carr did on the Patriots in last years' preseason and his halfway decent showing with Carolina are much closer to the true David Carr than the shellshocked Texans QB, who despite that still has had a better career than 90% of the QBs on the OP's list. And even that might be an understatement; only Kerry Collins has really had a better career that I can see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey