PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Veteran Guarantee Of Full Year's Salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding has been that if a vested veteran is on the roster for Game 1, then the year's salary is guaranteed (of course a contract can have an injury clause).

Others have stated that the key date was September 4th.

Which is it?

In any case, I don't see a lot of signings this week. We'll see if this situation changes next week. It would seem that if wanted Brach or Gaffney on the team, we would have added one by now if the date was September 4th (or someone else would have added them). Obviously, this matters little for players near the minimum, but the date might be significant for others.

Last edited:
It's game 1

September 4th guaranteed their week 1 salary. 4PM on Saturday will guarantee their full year's salary unless they are on a split contract. The exception to the rule as there always is in the NFL is the teams who played on Wednesday. There vets were guaranteed at 4PM on tuesday.

So if you're thinking a returning WR, that player can't be signed until after the week 1 game has been played.

Yes, I'm thinking wide receiver, but also anyone else that Belichick may be willing to gamble a week or two's salary on, without paying for the entire season. This especially can benefit players who have injured. I could see us bringing in running backs and offensive linemen, especially OT's.

September 4th guaranteed their week 1 salary. 4PM on Saturday will guarantee their full year's salary unless they are on a split contract. The exception to the rule as there always is in the NFL is the teams who played on Wednesday. There vets were guaranteed at 4PM on tuesday.

So if you're thinking a returning WR, that player can't be signed until after the week 1 game has been played.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm thinking wide receiver, but also anyone else that Belichick may be willing to gamble a week or two's salary on, without paying for the entire season. This especially can benefit players who have injured. I could see us bringing in running backs and offensive linemen, especially OT's.

Unless he brings them in before 4PM Saturday he isn't bringing them in. And if he does he is on the hook for the total salary unless it's not a vested vet or the player signs a split contract and later gets injured.

The PS is a different situation. He will continue to frig with that all season. But I think the 53 is set for this week barring practice injury today or in walkthrough Friday. There comes a point when the addition is basically useless, and we're there - even with the connections to Josh. I doubt either of his former players of the week are active on Sunday. Along with Vereen they will form the first 3 of 7 gameday inactives.

Unless he brings them in before 4PM Saturday he isn't bringing them in. And if he does he is on the hook for the total salary unless it's not a vested vet or the player signs a split contract and later gets injured.

The PS is a different situation. He will continue to frig with that all season. But I think the 53 is set for this week barring practice injury today or in walkthrough Friday. There comes a point when the addition is basically useless, and we're there - even with the connections to Josh. I doubt either of his former players of the week are active on Sunday. Along with Vereen they will form the first 3 of 7 gameday inactives.

The salary guarantee is so insignificant that it won't affect signing a player we want or need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes