PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Veteran Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Veteren Backup

You just chose 2 players who are unavailable and you claim you've "come up with something"? Hell, why not call for Joe Theisman, Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw while you're at it?

Hey, once again you've come up with NOTHING. Good job!

They are retired, not unavaileable. Just like Vinnie and Doug. Got anything yet?

Hey, once again you've come up with NOTHING. Good job!

They are retired, not unavaileable. Just like Vinnie and Doug. Got anything yet?

Pretend you're actually thinking and tell me how an achilles injury translates to available.

As for me coming up with something, I don't panic after 2 exhibition games.

Last edited:

Pretend you're actually thinking and tell me how an achilles injury translates to available.

As for me coming up with something, I don't panic after 2 exhibition games.

You shouldn't panic after 2 pre-season games. You'd never figure it out but you don't have any influence on the team so it doesn't matter. Thank GOD!

The whole point of this thread is who will lead this team if Brady is out. Do you trust Cassell/Guttierez/O'Connell over something else out there.

What vetern QB's under 40 are out there?

So far you've got ZERO. Thanks for the lack of input.

Last edited:

You shouldn't panic after 2 pre-season games. You'd never figure it out but you don't have any influence on the team so it doesn't matter. Thank GOD!

The whole point of this thread is who will lead this team if Brady is out. Do you trust Cassell/Guttierez/O'Connell over something else out there.

What vetern QB's under 40 are out there?

So far you've got ZERO. Thanks for the lack of input.

That ZERO you're claiming I've got is precisely what you have. Again, how does an achilles injury translate as 'available'?

Last edited:

How about a response based on fact? Bledsoe is the antithethis (look up the word) of what BB wants from a backup QB. BB wants a guy who will manage the game, take what the D offers, and will not, absolutely not "just sling it."

The less talented Dilfer is a better fit as backup QB for this team and BB's philosophy.
That was my same reaction. If Drew Bledsoe is anything, its NOT a game manager. He had a ton of talent, a great arm, at times a very precision like delivery and some great games. But he was NEVER a game manager.

And with his skills eroded, he pretty much is the opposite of what I'd want from a backup here. Dilfer isn't a terrible suggestion. Bledsoe is a horrendous suggestion.

Besides, the last thing he is going to do is uproot himself from his businesses, travel to the other side of the country and be a backup QB, playing for Bill Belichick no less.

Please. Can we stop the insanity?

J D Sal

Vinnie at 45 over Drew at 36.
Why don't you answer this question......who has played IN THE NFL more recently? Vinny or Drew?

J D Sal

Last edited:

That ZERO you're claiming I've got is precisely what you have. Again, how does an achilles injury translate as 'available'?

Fine, name your backups. The achillies injury for Dilfer is LAME. at best. You've got NOTHING besides. Bledsoe would be a perfect back-up here.

No-one here has mentioned a good candidate under 30.

Think people.

Fine, name your backups. The achillies injury for Dilfer is LAME. at best. You've got NOTHING besides. Bledsoe would be a perfect back-up here.

Think people.

No, your examples are lame, as is evidenced by one of your two choices having recently retired with an achilles injury.

As for backups, the team currently has three.

Think people.

I suggest taking your own advice.

You blithely ignore the fact that BB wanted Bledsoe off the team for the specific reasons I cited. You need to read the articles describing what BB looks for in a QB. HINT: It's NOT what Drew brings to the table. It's the opposite.

What you and others are also saying by implication is that BB is too incompetent to reach out and sign one of these allegedly available vets.

As others stated, there are decent backup QBs in the NFL, just not 32 of them and the decent ones are UNDER CONTRACT.

Finally, fans show no understanding whatsoever of the complex nature of BB's sight adjusted offense. An offense many NFL vet QBs are unable to learn and execute. The really bad news is that a pretty much full training camp is needed to learn the basics.

Were a magical younger Flutie or Vinnie who both know the system available, BB would have one of them in camp. This is the real world.

Last edited:

Bledsoe has said multiple times he has no desire to be a back up in the NFL. If he doesn't have a legitimate chance to start on a team, he has no desire to play. Say what you will about the guy, but he was true to his word. He hung it rather than hold someone else's clipboard. He won't come back to the Pats as long as Belichick is here anyway.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dilfer being coaxed out of retirement though.

Bledsoe has said multiple times he has no desire to be a back up in the NFL. If he doesn't have a legitimate chance to start on a team, he has no desire to play. Say what you will about the guy, but he was true to his word. He hung it rather than hold someone else's clipboard. He won't come back to the Pats as long as Belichick is here anyway.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dilfer being coaxed out of retirement though.

I never thought I'd agree with that Dilfer statement, but I do. Too bad it's wasted a full camp to certify the extent of Cassie's suckitude.

Remember Tuna's season with the Jets when they had a contending team? Vinnie goes down early against the Pats in a non-contact achillies and because the otherwise great Tuner did not have a halfway decent backup QB, an opportunity to challenge for the SB was lost.

Last edited:

Veteran backup...
I always thought Jay Fiedler would have been a good fit. The thing is they need to find a semi-talented retread. A guy like David Carr, Jay Fiedler, Byron Leftwich or someone else who had a chance to start and sort of pissed it away. You need a guy who is content being a backup for $1 million per year and has no aspirations of starting... he just needs to be content pulling down a mill per year and extending his career.
At this point with JT O'Sullivan challenging for the starting job in SF, one can only wonder if we should have kept him around...

Veteran backup...
I always thought Jay Fiedler would have been a good fit. The thing is they need to find a semi-talented retread. A guy like David Carr, Jay Fiedler, Byron Leftwich or someone else who had a chance to start and sort of pissed it away. You need a guy who is content being a backup for $1 million per year and has no aspirations of starting... he just needs to be content pulling down a mill per year and extending his career.
At this point with JT O'Sullivan challenging for the starting job in SF, one can only wonder if we should have kept him around...

Me too, I always liked 'Big Ears' Fiedler as a QB backup for the Pats.

He might have even shown off-season talent playing with Bruschi at the POPs.

Last edited:

Trent Dilfer vs. Drew Bledsoe in a game you've got to have.

Flip your coin and close your eyes.

2 guys who have won AFC Championship games.

Not every schmuck QB can say that.

Damon Huard? He available?

Michael Vick in a month?

What about one of Detroit's QBs?

McCown? Kitna? Orlovsky? Stanton? They're not keeping 4.

Think people.

He's got you there, Deus. An Achilles injury does make you lame.:D

Me too, I always liked 'Big Ears' Fiedler as a QB backup for the Pats.

He might have even shown off-season talent playing with Bruschi at the POPs.

Actually, that was a good thought. Unfortunately, his shoulder hasn't come around. He's playing competitive volleyball though.

NFL | Fiedler retired because of shoulder
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:58:16 -0700

Ethan J. Skolnick, of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, reports retired QB Jay Fiedler (shoulder) said the reason he retired was because of his injured shoulder. Fiedler had a bad shoulder that required two surgeries from the initial injury he sustained in 2005. Fiedler said he tried rehabbing but he could only get his shoulder back to 80 percent, nothing beyond that.

NFL | Fiedler makes beach volleyball debut
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:47:27 -0700

The Associated Press reports former NFL QB Jay Fiedler (Buccaneers) made his pro beach volleyball debut Thursday, April 10, and lost in the first round of qualifying for the Miami Open. Fiedler and his partner, Marco Macau, were seeded 32nd. Fiedler retired from the NFL in 2006 after suffering a shoulder injury.

And if Brady is hurt and misses time? You comfortable?

No, of course not. I'm not taking issue with your suggestion that a veteran backup QB would be a good thing to have on this team. But Drew is never coming back here.

make_it_stop.jpg

I agree.. And this guy and me dont agree that much:banned:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back