PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vet inside LB available...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind seeing Seau back, but Reiss said he doesn't think he'll be back. I think the linebacker situation will stay the same until the draft. I'm still not 100% sure if BB takes a linebacker in round 1 since he's never taken one in the first 4 rounds of any draft. Then again, this hasn't been the "normal" Patriots off-season.

Ed Hartwell, who the Pats have reportedly shown interest in...

Reiss speculated Hartwell was more interested in the Pats then the Pats were in Hartwell. But that's just speculation.

Ed Hartwell, who the Pats have reportedly shown interest in...

Hartwell is my top choice, too; but since he was already mentioned at the top of the thread by Sean, I tried to find some other names that may be of interest.

Pats726: You're right - Havner signed a Futures contract with GB. I, too, was disappointed that Roach wasn't even offered a spot on the PS. What makes Gilbert and Kacyvenski attractive is that they are not only trustworthy enough at ILB, but also very good ST players. The others, as you mentioned, are stopgap measures; but for one year - two max - they are light-year upgrades over Alexander, Mays and Izzo.

I doubt they will sign anyone else until after June 1 cuts. Reiss crunched the numbers and found that after signing draft picks, the Pats will have about $4M in cap space. Smart teams save space for emergency signings, so I doubt they will want to go under that $4M mark anytime soon.

I doubt they will sign anyone else until after June 1 cuts. Reiss crunched the numbers and found that after signing draft picks, the Pats will have about $4M in cap space. Smart teams save space for emergency signings, so I doubt they will want to go under that $4M mark anytime soon.

Most emergency signings are at rock bottom price so it is very unlikely the Patriots would need to reserve 4 mil. They can probably afford another low priced free agent.

Most emergency signings are at rock bottom price so it is very unlikely the Patriots would need to reserve 4 mil. They can probably afford another low priced free agent.

Plus, if Asante works out a long term deal, his cap hit will reduce substantially. That'll free a few more mill up.

Some more ILB FAs:

Chris Claiborne, Jamie Sharper, LaVar Arrington, Randall Godfrey, Liam Ezekiel, Freddie Roach, Kai Parham, Spencer Havner, Wali Rainer, Hannibal Navies, Isaiah Kacyvenski, Tony Gilbert, Scott Shanle, Raonall Smith, Jay Foreman, Brandon Short, Carlos Emmons...

Shanle is NOT a free agent. He re-signed with New Orleans.

I wouldn't mind the Pats getting Havner for the practice squad.

I hesitate to say it, but IF he remains unsigned as camp approaches, I'd offer a small contract to Lavar Arrington. I think he could reinvent himself and save his career as an ILB in our 3-4. The injuries have taken it's toll, but he's still strong and athletic. He's only 28. I'd take him on as a project if there isn't a lot of interest - and if he was interested in us.

NO WAY. Arrington isn't worth having around. He's got no knee cartiledge left.

Also, Arrington is way over-rated.

Also, the Cowboys may match the offer for Ryan Fowler, and then may look to move Bradie James or Kevin Burnett. We could offer up a young lineman in return and BB could feel free to draft OL depth again. I think Ryan O'Callahan for Kevin Burnett would be an interesting trade.

Bradie James isn't going anywhere. He is the key ILB for the Cowboys.

Given the size of the cap cushion of $4 mil, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pick up an ILB. With his versatility, I'd expect to see Thomas at ILB with Bruschi even on running downs. BB will have him playing everywhere. Don't think he'll spend too many plays on the bench. Alexander, Mays, and the 3rd rd draft pick, Poluzny, DeOssie, Beason, etc, will be enough depth in the middle. Esp. since Vrable can move in when necessary.

Last edited:
Given the size of the cap cushion of $4 mil, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pick up an ILB.

They may want to save that cap cushion for Feb 25, '08 when some roster bonuses may be due (Stallworth/Washington). They can always convert it to signing bonus, but they may like the flexibility.

Given the size of the cap cushion of $4 mil, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pick up an ILB. With his versatility, I'd expect to see Thomas at ILB with Bruschi even on running downs. BB will have him playing everywhere. Don't think he'll spend too many plays on the bench. Alexander, Mays, and the 3rd rd draft pick, Poluzny, DeOssie, Beason, etc, will be enough depth in the middle. Esp. since Vrable can move in when necessary.

Thomas will be used in many ways, but he was signed here to primarily fill the Willie OLB role.

I wonder if Edgerton Hartwell is still on our radar screen? Perhaps

something will occur when our contingent returns from Florida.

I haven't seen his name mentioned in any visits to other teams.

I think Ed Hartwell would actually be a very good fit. The guy has struggled with injuries since going to Atlanta, but after coming back from this last injury he started showing signs of his old form. The last two weeks of the season he racked up 19 tackles, and one forced fumble. People might say "well if he can't stay healthy in their defense, why would he stay healthy in ours?" which is a somewhat valid point. The problem with that line of thinking is the Falcons D-Line. They have an undersized speed defense, and they rarely kept blocks off of Hartwell, so he took a lot of punishment.
Plus, some of his injuries were more freak than anything.

In my opinion, the progress Hartwell made after recovering from this last injury should make him worth at least trying out.

To tell you the truth, given these names along with the prior names, I'd prefer to see Seau back.

So would I. I didn't include Junior because Sean already mentioned him at the top of the thread.

My order of preference is:
Hartwell
Seau
Huff
Mitchell
Kacyvenski
Tony Gilbert
Raonall Smith
Ezekiel
Parham

My vet preferences would be - depending on health, ability to play 3-4 ILB, etc.:
Claiborne, Sharper, Godfrey, Emmons
Rainer, Navies, Brandon Short, Arrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes