PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vet ILBs - who is out there, will be cut, or avail for trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, let's be real. Nap Harris is available. We badly need an ILB. We haven't signed him. Perhaps Belichick has a reason for not signing him.

Absolutely. I'm not sure why we haven't looked at him, so maybe there's something that BB doesn't like. He still seems by far the best readily available candidate out there.

And also, let's get real about Dansby. He is under contract and is very unlikely to be going anywhere.

Hence the use of the term "miracle". All speculation involving Dansby is pure fantasy and lust at this point. BB has the ammunition to make a move IF Arizona would be willing to listen, but it is a long shot.

I do certainly agree that I would like to see either of them added. I would rather add Taylor, which would likely mean that Thomas moves inside.

I don't think that Belichick see any problems at OLB at all; otherwise he might have found help somewhere in the draft. Belichick's solution was re-sign Woods, sign Banta-Cain and bring back Redd (he didn't bring back Robertson or Ruud).

And obviously I have no clue with regard to Belichick's analysis of the ILB position. I would have drafted Laurinitis at 34 and Will Moore at 40 or wherever. Belichick must be expecting Guyton and Bruschi to be major contributers this year. If Guyton is viewed as a starter, then obviously the situation isn't very dire. I too would feel alot better if we signed a starter quality linebacker.

Clearly BB had the option of drafting Laurinaitis or Maualuga at 23/26/34 and taking a safety at 40/41/47 and passed, so he sees more value from Chung, and doesn't care about what that does to Riddler's blood pressure. It's quite possible that BB will stand "Pat". But he did draft McKenzie, so it's not unreasonable to assume that he will bring someone in for depth with McKenzie's loss.

A vet will not work as the 4th ILB has to be a spl team stud or a player who can stash in the pratice squad for injury.

On game day we will have
3 - ILB Mayo,Bru and guyton
3 - OLB Woods ,Crabel and Redd
1 - ILB/OLB - Thomas
1 - SS/ILB - Tank
1 - SPl team LB

that is 9 LB on active LB list so this VET will be either Inactive or Cut by final 53

satz

Clearly BB had the option of drafting Laurinaitis or Maualuga at 23/26/34 and taking a safety at 40/41/47 and passed, so he sees more value from Chung, and doesn't care about what that does to Riddler's blood pressure. It's quite possible that BB will stand "Pat". But he did draft McKenzie, so it's not unreasonable to assume that he will bring someone in for depth with McKenzie's loss.

I guess it comes down to Ron Brace or (Laurinaitus/Maualuga) and what the higher value of that would have been to our defense. The impact clearly for this season especially would have been higher with (James or Rey) in the the middle of our defense instead of the Vince Wilfork "game breather" in Ron Brace.

There was a real good chance that we could have still gotten Chung with our 2nd Round 2 pick (ala the Brace pick) had we gone ILB with 34. Yes, we could have had them both. But let's assume for kicks that Chung went before our Brace pick, we still walk away with a Connor Barwin AND Darius Butler with those next two sandwich picks. PLUS we still could have dealt up a couple of measley spots to draft William Moore AND the reach on Vollmer would not have been a reach had we taken him in Round 3.

We could have very, very easily come out of this draft with the following:

Laurinaitus/Rey Maualuga
Connor Barwin
William Moore
Sea Bass (Round 3)

This to me, was the path to take and was easily within reach. Just my humble opinion. I truly believe that Laurinaitus/Maualuga are going to be great ILB's in this league.

But who am I to question the great BB, who am I to even think about questioning the BB draft logic ? I'm just a fly-speck in BB's ocean and I'm not worthy of questioning anything he does.

Last edited:
Reiss posted a list:

# Rocky Boiman (6-4, 236) -- The 29-year-old had a career-high nine starts last season for the Chiefs. He's played for the Titans (2002-2005) and Colts (2006-2007).

# Napoleon Harris (6-3, 253) -- Most recently with the Vikings, the 30-year-old Harris reportedly visited with the Steelers this week as a possibility to replace Larry Foote.

# Teddy Lehman (6-2, 238) -- At 27, injuries have limited his production over five seasons with Detroit (2004-2007) and Buffalo (2008).

# Paris Lenon (6-2, 235) -- The 31-year-old started every game over the last three seasons for the Lions, and previously played for the Packers (2002-2005).

# Shantee Orr (6-0, 246) -- The 27-year-old was a one-time starter in Houston (2005-2006). He played 15 games as a reserve last year in Cleveland.

# Junior Seau (6-3, 250) -- Last year, the 40-year-old said the only team he'd play for is the Patriots and filled in admirably down the stretch. Perhaps he'd consider it again.

# Dontarrious Thomas (6-2, 241) -- The 2004 second-round draft choice has 10 career starts over the last five seasons with the Vikings, but none in the last two years.

# Nate Webster (6-0, 232) -- Entering his 10th season, he started the last two seasons in Denver, but wasn't deemed a fit for the 3-4 that Josh McDaniels hopes to implement.

1) I don't expect to see 9 LB's active. Butler, Chung and Wilhite will all be active backups who will play primarily special teams.
2) Tank will make the team as a strong safety or not at all. I think that Harris or one of the other vet ILB's would easily beat him out for a roster spot as a linebacker. McGowan is Tank's competition not the veteran linebacker. Heck, Belichick would likely keep Alexander as an ILB instead of Williams. BTW, Alexander has been re-signed.
3) If Redd needs to make the team as an active OLB, he may be cut. He need to make it as a STer.
4) I'm fine with bringing in an ILB as insurance against an injury to one of our three ILBs and have that player be inactive.

A vet will not work as the 4th ILB has to be a spl team stud or a player who can stash in the pratice squad for injury.

On game day we will have
3 - ILB Mayo,Bru and guyton
3 - OLB Woods ,Crabel and Redd
1 - ILB/OLB - Thomas
1 - SS/ILB - Tank
1 - SPl team LB

that is 9 LB on active LB list so this VET will be either Inactive or Cut by final 53

satz

BB has had mixed success recently with veteran linebackers.

Victor Hobson, Chad Brown, and Monte Beisel were duds at

middle linebacker. Reiss's list contains players that nobody

seems to want. Appleby may be the best option. At least,

he has played in a 3-4 defense similar to the Pats' system.

It depends on whether he is a fast learner like Guyton.

OK, let's be real. Nap Harris is available. We badly need an ILB. We haven't signed him. Perhaps Belichick has a reason for not signing him.

Or perhaps Harris is weighing his options. He just worked out for Pittsburgh, so he could just be waiting out the best offer.

Harris is in an enviable position -- both top AFC contenders just lost ILBs -- I expect his agent to maximize his client's value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back