PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very LAMMEEEEEE Propaganda from SNY Post-draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know what the stadium will be called but it wont be called Giants Stadium b/c the Jets and Giants are going in 50/50 money wise. Money and a team with talent attracts players.

So we know the Jets won't get anyone. :D

So we know the Jets won't get anyone. :D

Unfortunately they had to over compensate with money. Even though the Faneca contract is awesome in that in 3 yrs they can cut him and get hit with almost no cap hit.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think the analysis on this video hit the nail on the head when he said that BB "reached" for Mayo and that Mayo does not run through the tackle, instead he leaves his feet on almost all his tackles.

BB has his work cut out for him coaching Mayo up. I am not saying it can not be done, but that is a lot of work for the 10th pick overall.

After watching David Harris on tape and then watching Mayo on tape, it makes me appreciate the genius of BB to the 10th degree, because I can not SEE anything that would justify Mayo going higher in the draft than Harris did the year before.

I think the analysis on this video hit the nail on the head when he said that BB "reached" for Mayo and that Mayo does not run through the tackle, instead he leaves his feet on almost all his tackles.

BB has his work cut out for him coaching Mayo up. I am not saying it can not be done, but that is a lot of work for the 10th pick overall.

After watching David Harris on tape and then watching Mayo on tape, it makes me appreciate the genius of BB to the 10th degree, because I can not SEE anything that would justify Mayo going higher in the draft than Harris did the year before.

Well, so does Mangini. Gholston can't go around defenders, he goes through them. That is all well and good against 280-290 LBs college OTs, but what about the over 300lbs guys. Mangini will have to work a long time with Gholston to increase his repetiore or he will be a bust. He will not be able to bull rush Matt Light or Jason Peters in this division. Both will misdirect the guy 20 yard beyond the QB with not much problem.

I was high on Gholston until I watched tape and realized he is a one trick pony. And his trick isn't like Dwight Freeney's one trick that eventhough everyone knows how to defend, many OTs aren't strong or fast enough to keep Freeney in front of them. But once Orlando Pace gave the blueprint on how to defend Freeney, his production dropped quite a bit.

Can anyone name one pass rusher who primarily depends on the bull rush in the NFL like Gholston? Even bigger DEs don't rely on it that much. No wonder why Mangini is already setting expectations that Gholston will start the season as a back up.

Well, so does Mangini. Gholston can't go around defenders, he goes through them. That is all well and good against 280-290 LBs college OTs, but what about the over 300lbs guys. Mangini will have to work a long time with Gholston to increase his repetiore or he will be a bust. He will not be able to bull rush Matt Light or Jason Peters in this division. Both will misdirect the guy 20 yard beyond the QB with not much problem.

I was high on Gholston until I watched tape and realized he is a one trick pony. And his trick isn't like Dwight Freeney's one trick that eventhough everyone knows how to defend, many OTs aren't strong or fast enough to keep Freeney in front of them. But once Orlando Pace gave the blueprint on how to defend Freeney, his production dropped quite a bit.

Can anyone name one pass rusher who primarily depends on the bull rush in the NFL like Gholston? Even bigger DEs don't rely on it that much. No wonder why Mangini is already setting expectations that Gholston will start the season as a back up.
First off there is so much wrong with this statement. For one Mangini wants to work Gholston in the same way he did Harris last year b/c 3-4 LB's have a lot of responsibilities they have to learn. He will see mostly passing rushing downs early on and his reps will increase as the season goes on. Gholston has the speed to use the speed game or the power to use the bull rush. Your probably right though he is a one trick pony OLB/DE who runs a 4.65 ONLY uses his power and no speed. I mean its not like he used speed against the number one pick of the draft or anything
VGJL.gif

Last edited:
First off there is so much wrong with this statement. For one Mangini wants to work Gholston in the same way he did Harris last year b/c 3-4 LB's have a lot of responsibilities they have to learn. He will see mostly passing rushing downs early on and his reps will increase as the season goes on. Gholston has the speed to use the speed game or the power to use the bull rush. Your probably right though he is a one trick pony OLB/DE who runs a 4.65 ONLY uses his power and no speed. I mean its not like he used speed against the number one pick of the draft or anything
VGJL.gif

But hes not a speed guy. Thats not his strength. Everyone knew that coming into the draft. He will overpower and force you to out muscle him. Hes not the fastest guy but he has a quick burst to get to the QB. No OLB needs to run 40 yards to get the sack.

But hes not a speed guy. Thats not his strength. Everyone knew that coming into the draft. He will overpower and force you to out muscle him. Hes not the fastest guy but he has a quick burst to get to the QB. No OLB needs to run 40 yards to get the sack.

He called him a one trick pony but that is far from the truth. He lends him self to bull rush but he still can use the speed. To say all he has is power moves is ridiculous. He has a great burst and really good speed for a LB. While your at it why dont you knock Aaron Kampman for using a bull rush game a majority of the time.

Last edited:
VGJL.gif

So who exactly is getting season ending injury for Gholston to start? That is the only reason Harris got in.

At least you realize that Gholston is a one trick pony. Who cares about his speed if he rarely uses it to get around players?

Nice video though. It is actually the reason I am not worried about him playing the Patriots. Further proof that Light will have no problem with misdirection blocking. He was taken out of the play with a college player, but unlike he will be able to do with in the Pro where the QB gets the ball off far quicker, he was able to get to the QB. This video makes me think he will never touch Brady. Remember, most people feel Jake Long doesn't have what it takes to be a LT in the NFL. So it isn't a good judge to show whether Gholston can get around the better OTs in the league.

He called him a one trick pony but that is far from the truth. He lends him self to bull rush but he still can use the speed. To say all he has is power moves is ridiculous. He has a great burst and really good speed for a LB. While your at it why dont you knock Aaron Kampman for using a bull rush game a majority of the time.

You misread my post. I said he did have a quick burst and that no OLB needs to run 40 yards to get to the QB.

Kampman is not a speed guy either. Same situation.

So who exactly is getting season ending injury for Gholston to start? That is the only reason Harris got in.

At least you realize that Gholston is a one trick pony. Who cares about his speed if he rarely uses it to get around players?

Nice video though. It is actually the reason I am not worried about him playing the Patriots. Further proof that Light will have no problem with misdirection blocking. He was taken out of the play with a college player, but unlike he will be able to do with in the Pro where the QB gets the ball off far quicker, he was able to get to the QB. This video makes me think he will never touch Brady. Remember, most people feel Jake Long doesn't have what it takes to be a LT in the NFL. So it isn't a good judge to show whether Gholston can get around the better OTs in the league.
where did I agree he is a one trick pony.? I show you a clip of him using speed to get past the best tackle in the draft and you say its not a good judgement b/c you think he wont be a good LT in the NFL. Its very funny that you should knock Long b/c he is almost a carbon copy of Light, vulnerable against speed rushers, and strong against bull rushers.

VG scouting from nfldraftcountdown
strengths:
A terrific athlete...Good speed and quickness...Has a cut muscular physique...Very strong with good power...Has an outstanding motor...Does a solid job against the run...Has excellent range and is a terror in pursuit...Is able to get pressure off the edge or as a bull rusher...Good tackler...A hard worker with top intangibles...Very productive...Versatile and can play more than one position...Still has some upside.

not to say there the end all be all but this is basically what everyone says about him. To say he does not have a speed game is moronic

heres ESPN

Strengths: Has the physical tools to develop into an every-down impact defender in the NFL. Possesses adequate height and bulk, but few prospects have a better physique. Very little body fat. Powerfully built with explosive strength for his size. Displays very good initial burst not elite level of Dwight Freeney (Colts), but only a notch below. Uses a wide array of pass rush moves. Can beat OT's with speed, power and fluid double moves. He's the only defender in past two years (from what we saw on film) to give Michigan OT Jake Long problems. He is strong enough to take on some blockers and anchor versus the run. Plays with good discipline. Seals off the end versus the run and will take on bigger blockers when asked to. He does an adequate job of protecting his legs as he works across the line on runs away from him. Hard worker off-the-field and obviously puts in more than fair share of time in the weight room.

According to you though he cant use speed tho:confused:. I understand its hard to credit anyone who wears Jets green but c'monn he blantantly can use speed and bull rush. If you maintain your stance then the question is, qhat does everyone not see that you do? This including me who watched Gholston for the past year and a half

Last edited:
You misread my post. I said he did have a quick burst and that no OLB needs to run 40 yards to get to the QB.

Kampman is not a speed guy either. Same situation.

my apologies I confused you with the other poster. Calling Gholston a one trick pony and to just blow off him blowing by Jake Long is homerism at its best

Last edited:

not to say there the end all be all but this is basically what everyone says about him. To say he does not have a speed game is moronic

He totally relied on the bull rush in college. That is not really disputable. Just because he is fast doesn't mean he uses his speed to his advantage. Just because he can run the 40 really quickly, doesn't mean it translate into playing speed well.

He totally relied on the bull rush in college. That is not really disputable. Just because he is fast doesn't mean he uses his speed to his advantage. Just because he can run the 40 really quickly, doesn't mean it translate into playing speed well.

So him beating multiple OT's in college including Jake Long with a speed move means nothing, ok I gotcha. Im not using anything he did at the combine to say he has a speed game, im using what I saw and obviously every scouting report you will find of Gholston agrees with what I have said.

Last edited:
where did I agree he is a one trick pony.? I show you a clip of him using speed to get past the best tackle in the draft and you say its not a good judgement b/c you think he wont be a good LT in the NFL. Its very funny that you should knock Long b/c he is almost a carbon copy of Light, vulnerable against speed rushers, and strong against bull rushers.

I was joking you agreeing with me. I am not that high on Jake Long and many other "draft experts" weren't either. Just because he was the first pick in the draft isn't going to make him a LT. Many experts peg him as a RT. Light is an above average LT. He has one of the better misdirection blocking technique in the game. Comparing him to Jake Long at LT at this point is not even close.

heres ESPN

ESPN is not the be all and end all of scouting and get a lot wrong.

According to you though he cant use speed tho:confused:. I understand its hard to credit anyone who wears Jets green but c'monn he blantantly can use speed and bull rush.[/QUOTE]

Speed does not always translate into football speed. Bethel Johnson was the fast prospect in the draft in 2003. What did that get him in the NFL? Who gives a flying crap what a player does in the combines. There is no more overrated event than the combine. If the Combine really meant that much to the player's career, Bethel Johnson would be an elite WR and Mike Mamula would be in the Hall of Fame. When people start quoting Combine numbers, they might as well also throw in their favorite color. Their favorite color in many cases is actually more relevant in judging how a player will do in their NFL career.

BTW, I never said he CAN'T use speed, but he relies primarily on the Bull Rush.

So him beating multiple OT's in college including Jake Long with a speed move means nothing, ok I gotcha. Im not using anything he did at the combine to say he has a speed game, im using what I saw and obviously every scouting report you will find of Gholston agrees with what I have said.

Multiple? What 2-3 times. That is about how many plays a game he actually tried so it couldn't be much more than that.

Multiple? What 2-3 times. That is about how many plays a game he actually tried so it couldn't be much more than that.

well your coming around for someone who said he could no use speed what so ever. This is only a one minute video and it has 2 more plus the Jake Long gif I posted. Do I have to look and show you every single speed move sack he has ever had?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xazWSRDF-TA

Back to your original point. There are DE's in the NFL who rely primarily on bull rush moves and are very good. I.E.: Aaron Kampman, Strahan, Kyle Vanden Bosch to name a few.

Last edited:
my apologies I confused you with the other poster. Calling Gholston a one trick pony and to just blow off him blowing by Jake Long is homerism at its best

Ok, I am wrong. Gholston is great because he blew by a player that many believe is going to be a huge draft bust and never make it as a LT in the NFL. I do think Jake Long will eventually be a top tier RIGHT TACKLE, but he is going to fail at the left side in the NFL.

well your coming around for someone who said he could no use speed. This is only a one minute video and it has 2 more plu sthe Jake Long Gif I posted> Do I have to look and show you every single speed move sack he has ever had?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xazWSRDF-TA&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xazWSRDF-TA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sure! You found two of the three. Why not get the third?

I never said he CAN'T use speed, but he relies primarily on the Bull Rush.

your original comment:
Gholston can't go around defenders, he goes through them.

At this point im not going to argue with someone who wont even Gholston to have an immense amount of ability and potential. Im also missing whats so bad with a DE who uses bull rush the majority of the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back