PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very informative Q&A with BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It Is What It Is Bill Belichick Q&A, 4/23

Q: What factor did Brandon Spikes leadership skills play into his evaluation?
BB: Good, I think we had that from a number of players, certainly Brandon was a solid team leader. [He] was very well respected in their program, as was Cunningham, as was Devin [McCourty] at Rutgers. I think all three of those defensive players are team captains, team leaders, some of the most respected people in their program from coaches, like Greg and Urban who’ve been around a lot of good football players and have been around a lot of good football teams. When they tell me those players have great leadership, work ethic and are amongst the most respected players they’ve coached … I’m not around them every day and when somebody like Urban and like Greg say that I hear it

I thought that BB's answer to this question was very interesting.

Don't recall him ever emphasizing the leadership aspect of a draftees makeup as much ever before.

It certainly indicates that the poor chemistry of the Patriots last year was not overstated...

Good stuff. There's another thread questioning whether BB relying on his network of allies clouds his judgment -- but I think this is a good articulation of why that network is important. It's easy to get other people's opinions, but we always have to assess "do I trust this person's judgment."

I also think the Patriots have so far picked five "football players" -- not "athletes", but "football players."

It certainly indicates that the poor chemistry of the Patriots last year was not overstated...

Perhaps overstated is too harsh a description relative to the rest of the league. However it IS clear that the Pats lockerroom in 2010 was not as good as in previous years.

I was just thinking the same thing. He specifically wanted to point our that Spikes and Cunningham were the leaders of that Florida defense (long with Haden) and McCourty was definitely a leader in the Rutgers locker room. So the emphasis on bring in leadership skills is pretty obvious.

Perhaps overstated is too harsh a description relative to the rest of the league. However it IS clear that the Pats lockerroom in 2010 was not as good as in previous years.

I'm not sure how good the locker room could be given the circumstances. Seymour is traded, Bruschi told that he wont make the team and retires, Harrison gone, Wilfork mad about his contract and team union rep Vrabel given away in the Cassel deal. I'm not sure what kind of message the team was sending to the players that were there, the new FAs and the ton of rookies.....how could it not be different? Different could be assumed to be bad, but sometimes different is just different.

Awhile back Bru had commented that the lack of lockeroom leadership was one of our biggest holes. Obviously BB saw that as well. Bring back some of the basics; chemistry, leadership, and camaraderie.

Don't recall him ever emphasizing the leadership aspect of a draftees makeup as much ever before.

That's because he hasn't had a locker room fall apart like it did last year with the losses of TB, RH, MV etc..

Again, the new theme (same as the old theme). Players who bring enthusiasm, smart play, and leadership.

Awhile back Bru had commented that the lack of lockeroom leadership was one of our biggest holes. Obviously BB saw that as well. Bring back some of the basics; chemistry, leadership, and camaraderie.

Indeed! In past drafts Bill didn't necessarily have to look for leadership because it was already in place. But now he obviously knows he needs to get that back into place.

Last edited:
[Brandon Spikes] of course came with a good recommendation from Doc [Rivers], which I appreciated. Doc can keep an eye on him up here — keep his daughter a little closer to home.

Is Brandon Spikes dating Doc Rivers' daughter or something?

I think he hoped that Adalius thomas would transfer the leadership from the great linebacker corps of the past and Mayo would instantly become the new leader of the defense.

Takes special people to make a hand off like that (Rodney) true leaders with enough security to defer to a younger player sometimes.

Not saying AD isn't a jerk, merely saying that was a pretty optimistic hope and AD wasn't of the ilk that the 2001 high character pickups were.

So we're going all young, all leader. Good enough. I'm psyched.

Is Brandon Spikes dating Doc Rivers' daughter or something?

Yes. She's on the Gators Volleyball team. BB joked that Doc could keep a closer eye on him now that he plays locally.

Even the punter! Only punter ever voted captain in Michigan history.

Yep, this is the all-leadership draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing