PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vernon Gholston inactive [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gholston inactive in last game

========================================================

Great post. And I really can't disagree with any of it because I don't know that much about drafting and all, but the littl I do know seems to agree exactly with what are posting.

Just saying that I can understand why the Jets picked Ghoulston at #6 and don't think it was a stupid move.

Well, neither do some teams. :)

But, seriously, what parts of it would you want to know more about?

I would KILL to know where the Patriots had Gholston ranked. The Jest had to be thinking about not only who did they want but who did the Patriots want and who did The Jest not want the Patriots to get; their Patriot Envy is that strong. Would Belichick have loved Gholston - or was he laughing his asss off when they took him ? We'll never know.

I would KILL to know where the Patriots had Gholston ranked. The Jest had to be thinking about not only who did they want but who did the Patriots want and who did The Jest not want the Patriots to get; their Patriot Envy is that strong. Would Belichick have loved Gholston - or was he laughing his asss off when they took him ? We'll never know.

This is all we know:

Pats work out Gholston - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

IMO, I doubt BB had Gholston ranked that high. Consider that they had the trade to the Saints in place before they went into draft day. Perhaps if BB wanted Gholston, he would've either been working a trade to move up, or just staying put, but the opposite was true.

I really think Mayo was the target. They knew he'd be there at #10. Holley - who has great access to the team - brought him up a few days before the draft.

Last edited:

Well, neither do some teams. :)

But, seriously, what parts of it would you want to know more about?

Nothing, I have an overall understanding on how things work, it's a complicated endeavor that some enjoy doing the Mocks and what not.

I know enough to know I my knowledge is very elementary, I always have just looked at the draft as a crap shoot.

Hey back off Gholston. He was injured. He has a busted draft pick that is keeping off the active roster.

I would compare Gholston to Mike Mamula, but that would be an insult to Mamula. I was high on the guy when the hype started, but my interest quickly faded. The guy basically had one move in college - a mean bull rush. That wasn't going to translate well in the Pros since the tackles and TEs are bigger and stronger. You cannot overrely on the bull rush in the Pros. When you add in the fact that he didn't exactly give his all for long stretches, doesn't seem to love football, and was learning a new position and would be required to do things he has never shown an aptitude; I never thought the Pats would ever touch this guy after I got to know more about him.

My guess is the Pats never really had him on their draft board. The Pats were very much interested in trading down and getting Mayo. Always were. Michael Holley predicted them trading down and drafting Mayo the Friday before the draft and he based it on inside information on how high they were on Mayo. I think if Gholston was sitting at #7, the Pats would have used his marquee value to trade down and get an even better trade deal and still draft Mayo.

Just saying that I can understand why the Jets picked Ghoulston at #6 and don't think it was a stupid move.

It wasn't stupid, I highly doubt the Jets were the only team who had him in their top 10 on the draft board. Whether it was the right pick remains to be seen, though. One season is really too early to call someone a bust, even Mario Williams took a bit to hit his stride.

In the end I wonder if Gholston will just end up being a really bad fit for a 3-4.

=======================================================

There really wasn't a lot of options for the Jets @ #6, I wanted McFadden, but after the Raiders picked him and there were no one willing to give fair compensation for tradin up to #6, I felt the Ghoulston pick made sense.

He looks like a bust at this point, but I am not ready to give up on him, he has lots to learn switching from a DE to OLB, not sure he has the brain power to do it.

It is too early to give up on Gholston, but him being deactivated is a very telling thing. There were rumblings before the draft that he is more of a physical speciment who plays football than a true football player who lives and breathes football. You gotta wonder if his heart is really in the game and if he is working hard enough to make the transition. Him being deactivated makes me wonder if Mangini is thinking that too.

I think Gholston was a horrible choice from the short term perspective (this is pretty obvious). For a number 6 you should get a guy who, if he doesn't come in and play right away, should at least come on at the end of season 1. The fact that he's actually fading is very telling. Look at Meriweather - he was very raw but he came on pretty strong last year playing a more mentally challenging position than Gholston plays.

For the medium to long term, I think the odds are stacked against him. He's really going to have to change a lot about the way he plays - he needs to play more fluidly instead of stiffly, and also more intelligently. Look at how Ware is always in great position. I've never seen that from Gholston. I wonder if he was ever higher than the 3rd round on our draft board.

It could be bad coaching too. I believe he doesn't fit the Jets system.

We have our own DE-to-OLB project on IR (Crable). It's not an easy transition; dunno why anyone thought it would happen overnight. Gotta give the guy a year or 2 before you can really evaluate if he was worth it. Now, if you want to argue that there were better players available or that that doesn't fit into the team philosophy and what they should have been looking for at #6, I'll agree with you there...

Part of the reason was that Ghoulston was never expected to fall below the #6 pick, in hind sight I wish the Jets had drafted McKelvin or Mayo, but at the #6 pick neither of them were rated high enough to justify taking a #10/12 pick at the #6 spot.

if the Pats had taken Mayo at #6, I would have been fine with it. The Mel Kipers of the world are idiots, and don't seem to realize that players' values fluctuate wildly from system to system.

Everyone thought the Pats were idiots for drafting Mankins and Seymour where they did, too. Draft analysts are just dumb.

=======================================================

There really wasn't a lot of options for the Jets @ #6
Is this a joke?

There were only 5 players taken and you say there was nothing left in the draft for you?

There were a LOT of players drafted after the first 5 who would have been on your active 45 last week.

Good thing you didn't think Mayo was a player worth taking. Without him our defense would be screwed :D

Two million Pats fans are very happy that the Jets picked him.

Last edited:

Why do you understand picking Gholston at 6? I still think Gholston can be a great player, but he simply is not an OLB. He never had any experience in coverage, so taking a project like that at #6 is a huge risk. He should be playing DE on passing downs to showcase the one thing we all agree he is good at, getting to the QB.

Is this a joke?

There were only 5 players taken and you say there was nothing left in the draft for you?

There were a LOT of players drafted after the first 5 who would have been on your active 45 last week.

Good thing you didn't think Mayo was a player worth taking. Without him our defense would be screwed :D

Two million Pats fans are very happy that the Jets picked him.

Yes I was serious.

the top tier talent in the 08 draft only ran about 8 players deep, in hindsight you can say it was a bad pick, at the time it was filling a need with a talent that could of gone #1 in the draft.

My dream pick was Howie's boy, after that I wanted McFadden, with both of them off the board I wanted Ghoulston.

so shoot me.

Yes I was serious.

the top tier talent in the 08 draft only ran about 8 players deep, in hindsight you can say it was a bad pick, at the time it was filling a need with a talent that could of gone #1 in the draft.

My dream pick was Howie's boy, after that I wanted McFadden, with both of them off the board I wanted Ghoulston.

so shoot me.

Weird, you guys are arguably much better off with one of the tackles, Chris Johnson, McKelvin, Rivers, or even Flacco than you are with Gholston. Ignore what people say about slots and talent - that's bad drafting. The goal is to get a lot of good players over time at reasonable cost rather than going broke for potential.

Weird, you guys are arguably much better off with one of the tackles, Chris Johnson, McKelvin, Rivers, or even Flacco than you are with Gholston. Ignore what people say about slots and talent - that's bad drafting. The goal is to get a lot of good players over time at reasonable cost rather than going broke for potential.

=========================================================

In hindsight I would agree.

You can't possibly fault the Jets for taking Gholston. He was the highest rated player on that board, save for possibly Ellis. He looked to be a potentially disruptive playmaker in an aggressive defense. Don't go saying that they should have taken Mayo at #6. It would have been an epic reach, especially given the Jets gave up so much to land David Harris last year.

All that said, man I'm happy the Jets took him. I'd hate to see that stiff in a Pats uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes