Welcome to PatsFans.com

Vermont Healthcare Laboratory Experiment

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Feb 18, 2011.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

For discussion:
    What if there were no health insurance companies?

Vermont’s problems paying for health care aren’t much different than the problems other states face. What makes Vermont different is that many of its top officials believe the solution is to have only one entity providing health insurance. In their boldest schemes, they’re hoping to drive private health insurance providers out of existence and to free employers from the responsibility of providing health insurance to their employees.

Under Shumlin's "single-payer" system, Vermont residents would receive health benefits paid for by the state, regardless of their employment status or income. The plan is designed to help stem rising health costs, which state officials say have become unsustainable.

"Health care costs are climbing at a rate of more than 12 times the growth of the Vermont economy, and we’re not getting the best value for our money," Shumlin said in a prepared statement. "The time for change has come."

Vermont Gov. Proposes Single-Payer Health Plan - Kaiser Health News

Consultant: Vt. could do single-payer health care - Bloomberg

Single Payer System Takes Center Stage in Vermont | Physicians for a National Health Program
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

I loved this line from the first link:

Funding just a detail.....gotta love the details the statist ignore when they lay out their utopian visions.
  3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

How does providing a service free of charge to everyone bring down the cost? Or are they also going to fix prices?

I guess they want not just the insurers to leave the state, but the providers too!
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

If it's the funding you're wondering about, from what I read (which is not gospel), most of it is supposed to be coming from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Feds) and a payroll tax. This is how the VT government gets around the Constitutional issue of forcing people to purchase insurance. Government can't do that. They can, however, levy taxes to fund programs like this same way they can levy for police, water and sewer, and DPW. Believe me, I know lots of Vermonters who are vehemently opposed to this because of the unshared burden on wage earners. Regardless of whether or not it can control costs, folks up there whom I know can only think about supporting hippies and illegals in Burlington and Brattleboro. What some refuse to consider is how much they pay in premiums now, and if they don't have insurance, they will very likely get screwed. At least those who I know who are mostly farmers and construction workers (at the same time!)

It should get interesting up there.
  5. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think it's a good experiment as I don't live there. We've seen what Romneycare already did to the Massachusetts budget. If it wasn't evident enough with just what that mandate did to our state, wait until they see what a failure Vermont will be. There's no free money folks.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

IF this is an entitlement program that doesn't cost more than @x the projections that will be a first. Every entitlement I have ever seen ends up costing more not less than the system it replaces.