PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vereen to be #1 RB...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridley ran better than BJGE in terms of YPC. That wasn't much of a contest, since BJGE struggled for much of the season. Woodhead started off poorly, especially post-concussion, and still ended up at 4.6 ypc. So it's tough to evaluate Ridley as the RB1 without really pouring over the tape because, at a relatively cursory glance, we don't know if Ridley looked good because he was good, or if he looked good because his competition was a banged up BJGE. What was there was a pretty mixed bag of runs if you just look at the surface, IMO.

As an aside, BJGE is getting $3 million per year coming off of a 3.7 ypc season. That's nice work by his agent, particularly in what's been a soft market for running backs.

The 2012 RB group is starting to shape up with the two fullbacks joining Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen. My guess is another back in the draft is coming with a multiple skill set - receiving, special teams, punt/KO returner. Belichick is making this team younger everywhere except WR. The oldest running back will be 27 - a far cry from recent years.

The Patriots tried the veteran RB group with almost nothing to show for it. Time to load up with younger guys with speed to gash defenses with six or seven guys in the box to stop the passing game. Last season the running game was very effective in single back sets against lesser opponents. In the playoffs, against superior defenses, the running game could not take enough pressure off the passing game. The two fullbacks and new TE suggests a different blocking scheme to protect the QB and spring these young backs to the second level.

Green-Ellis would thrive in this group, I believe, as he did in 2010. He did the right thing by getting his $9 million, three-year deal which the Pats would not invest, but I wish he could have stayed.

Last edited:
I don't see Vereen as a #1 RB unless he has a huge breakout season and Ridley regresses. I do however have very high hopes for Vereen. It's all because of his potential to be versatile. He has ability to catch balls out of the backfield, HR ability in the open field and ability to run any type of run (dive, off tackle, stretch, pitch, etc.).

A complete back would make the the ACE (2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB) formation more deadly than it already is.

I don't see us going from zero to two fullbacks. Two fullbacks is severely excessive for a passing team. Personally, I like the idea of one fullback. Many do not. I would expect that Larsen and Fiammetta would be competing for one fullback spot.

The 5th running back (if we have one) is the veteran backup, the insurance policy against injury. I would expect us to have 3-4 running backs active in most games, so this veteran cannot have any game critical role.

The 2012 RB group is starting to shape up with the two fullbacks joining Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen. My guess is another back in the draft is coming with a multiple skill set - receiving, special teams, punt/KO returner. Belichick is making this team younger everywhere except WR. The oldest running back will be 27 - a far cry from recent years.

The Patriots tried the veteran RB group with almost nothing to show for it. Time to load up with younger guys with speed to gash defenses with six or seven guys in the box to stop the passing game. Last season the running game was very effective in single back sets against lesser opponents. In the playoffs, against superior defenses, the running game could not take enough pressure off the passing game. The two fullbacks and new TE suggests a different blocking scheme to protect the QB and spring these young backs to the second level.

Green-Ellis would thrive in this group, I believe, as he did in 2010. He did the right thing by getting his $9 million, three-year deal which the Pats would not invest, but I wish he could have stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back