PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vereen - stay or go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe the Shane Vereen discussion is still continuing. He is an average player at best. Stop this craziness.

I would love to see Vereen back but 5 million per, if accurate, is way too high for his production. I think he can fill a number of important roles so his value is higher than his numbers would suggest but 3.5 per is as high as I would go.

I cannot believe the Shane Vereen discussion is still continuing. He is an average player at best. Stop this craziness.

I think we all (most of us) realize that Shane Vereen is a very nice piece of the puzzle here and it would be great to keep him.

The concern is that there simply won't be room with the salary cap and/or another team may offer him money that we don't wish to match.

I would love to see Vereen back but 5 million per, if accurate, is way too high for his production. I think he can fill a number of important roles so his value is higher than his numbers would suggest but 3.5 per is as high as I would go.

Where is the new 5m number coming from, Ivan?

Personally, I think both numbers (5 and 3.5) are too high--but that's simply my opinion.

Personally, I think both numbers (5 and 3.5) are too high--but that's simply my opinion.

The Globe if I'm not mistaken. If accurate he won't be in Foxborough.

I think it will take 3.5 and in fine with it because he on the same page with Brady and I want Brady to start next season with familiar weapons, I think the shuffling sets them back as Brady has to keep breaking them in and it takes time to get on the same page. I don't like the idea of losing both Vereen and Amendola.

I think we all (most of us) realize that Shane Vereen is a very nice piece of the puzzle here and it would be great to keep him.

The concern is that there simply won't be room with the salary cap and/or another team may offer him money that we don't wish to match.

As I have said before Sup, I don't believe a deal with Vereen would have any bearing on the big money deals with Revis and McCourty, they will either get those done or they won't , they won't be saying " damn, we gave Vereen 3.5 so now we can't pay Revis 60 million."

If the final number were really to be $3.5M for the patriots, then $2M and $5M are not unreasonable starting positions for negotiations.

Perhaps the reason it continues is people simply don't agree with your assessment of Vereen as an average player at best?

Vereen can try and cash in on some dumb team but we will see how much he produces on another team.

Vereen can try and cash in on some dumb team but we will see how much he produces on another team.

Huh? He should try to cash in. He has a limited shelf life and he'll never have a bigger resume point than his SB performance, worthy of an MVP. Remember that drive saving CLUTCH one handed 1st down catch?
Best of luck, Shane!

I said he can but many teams want the body of work. We seen players go to other teams and stink it up. More power to shane if he gets 5 million but i have my doubts he will.

More power to shane if he gets 5 million but i have my doubts he will.

They throw these ridiculous projections around all the time. Last year it was how Julian Edelman may fetch 8-10 million dollars per year, and some here agreed with them.

I think most here feel that Vereen will command anything between 2.75--4.00 million dollars, so we'll have to see. I'd agree with the predictions somewhere in the "threes" category myself.

I can't help but feel the Patriots hedging their bets and overpaying for Cannon may push one of these very good players out the door. Hopefully, the pie-in-the-sky numbers come down a little closer to reality.

I can't help but feel the Patriots hedging their bets and overpaying for Cannon may push one of these very good players out the door. Hopefully, the pie-in-the-sky numbers come down a little closer to reality.

Yeah, I just can't agree with posters here who claim that "the other free agents don't matter." I find that to be ridiculous.

All of the free agents matter under the salary cap, and when you have guys like Revis and McCourty clearly taking up double digits, it makes it very difficult to keep "fringe players" such as Shane Vereen.

Your example of Marcus Cannon is yet another prime one, where management decided to try and retain someone they felt was important. Unfortunately, you can't keep them all.

Yeah, I just can't agree with posters here who claim that "the other free agents don't matter." I find that to be ridiculous.

All of the free agents matter under the salary cap, and when you have guys like Revis and McCourty clearly taking up double digits, it makes it very difficult to keep "fringe players" such as Shane Vereen.

Your example of Marcus Cannon is yet another prime one, where management decided to try and retain someone they felt was important. Unfortunately, you can't keep them all.
I dare say the FO prioritizes positions ahead of others. On face value, I don't mind an investment in the OL (but Cannon will want to recapture his very good form from 2 years ago) and RB does seem like it's plug and play.

It'll be interesting to see what the Patriots do.

I never said it wouldn't affect other free agent decisions, I said it wouldn't affect the Revis and McCourty deals. It could very well mean a choice of losing Ayers or Connolly or Ridley coming back, but giving Vereen 3.5 won't hinder their negotiations with Revisor McCourty, those are mega deals and whether n they re sign Ayers, Connolly, or Vereen won't affect them at all.

I never said it wouldn't affect other free agent decisions, I said it wouldn't affect the Revis and McCourty deals. It could very well mean a choice of losing Ayers or Connolly or Ridley coming back, but giving Vereen 3.5 won't hinder their negotiations with Revisor McCourty, those are mega deals and whether n they re sign Ayers, Connolly, or Vereen won't affect them at all.

It will all be about how the front office/coach views the priority of these moves. I just can't get on board with the idea that it won't impact other negotiations, since everything must go hand in hand under the salary cap.

The possibility that Devin McCourty may take up almost 10m dollars under the franchise tag is certainly something that could potentially prevent other free agency signings, and vice-versa. It's all going to come down to the way that Belichick prioritizes his needs for both now and the future.

Oh, and I certainly didn't mean to try and single you out personally for any comments as you very well may end up being right--so apologies if that's how it came off.

Mike Reiss had a lot to say about Vereen.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51603

... the contract that a respected NFL source mentioned to me as the benchmark was Donald Brown's three-year, $10.5 million pact that included $4 million guaranteed. I think the Patriots would do that, but if it goes much higher than that, I could see them walking away. A big part of it is that we'll find out what they really think of James White. I know he impressed them in the offseason but he fell off the map pretty dramatically during the year.

One thing I know: The Patriots really like Vereen and this isn't one of those situations where they just plan to let him walk. They'll try to be competitive.

They won't over-extend for anyone, really, but I can assure you they think very highly of Vereen -- on the field and off.

At least one hopeful at the combine thinks well of Vereen too.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...er-abdullah-on-shane-vereen-oh-man-hes-nasty/

“Oh man, he’€™s nasty. He’€™s nasty,” he told reporters at the NFL combine. “I watch a lot of his film to help myself out on route running. He runs the best option route, I feel like, in the NFL right now. He does a good job of stemming the linebackers, snapping them off, using his head to get some separation. Outstanding hands. A guy who’€™s going to be in the league a long time if he continues to do that.”€

Someone with a **** ton of cap space trying to get to the cap floor like Tampa would probably do it. They gave that punter from the Falcons a ton of money a couple of years ago as an example.

I'm getting in late, but having just read the $5 million figure I went looking for a Vereen thread. Based on what I've seen, Vereen's time with the Patriots peaked during that one handed grab in the Superbowl. Let's not overvalue Superbowl performances the way the rest of the league does.

I see Donald Brown's numbers as the benchmark to go below. From the limited times I've seen Brown, it appeared he could at least run between the tackles on occasion. As could Woodhead, who in my view was a superior player to Vereen aside from his price tag. I would wager that it was the success Woodhead had on inside draw plays that led to MacDonald continually forcing Vereen in there (which we all know rarely worked).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back