PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vereen or Spiller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vereen all the way

If the money was the same, this would be an interesting decision. There are pluses and minuses for both

1. Spiller is clearly the more dynamic and effective runner, averaging almost a full yard per carry more, but Vereen has the better ball security.

2. I know Vereen has some pass blocking skills because he wouldn't be out there if he didn't. I'm not sure of how good a pass protector Spiller is, but lets assume he's OK given that pass protection for the 3rd down back is important in every system.

3. Both have good hands, and you'd have to take into consideration when you compare stats that Spiller has had Fitzpatrick, Manuel, and Orton throwing to him for most of his career, while Vereen has had TFB

4. Just based on games played, Spiller seems like the most durable with Spiller averaging 14 gpy, while Vereen averages only 10.

5. Vereen has an advantage because he knows the system and the QB

So when you put it all together, you can see its not an easy choice. Vereen's didn't have a great year running the ball this year. It seemed that too often the first contact was bringing him down. Spiller would be a much more dynamic ball carrier. OTOH Spiller has averaged just over 3 fumbles a season, while Vereen has averaged just .5. They both seem to catch the ball very well, but I'd be interested in seeing their respective drop stats. They are both about the same size and age.

In the end, I'd be happy with either, and take who ever is cheapest. Spiller has the higher upside IMO, if not for the fumbles it wouldn't be as close. I'd take him and hope we could coach up his ball security issues, but not at a premium

BTW-I have no idea what the market is for 3rd down RB's or what each guy is looking for, but my guess on what the Pats would be willing to pay is likely in the $2-3/MM range

If the money was the same, this would be an interesting decision. There are pluses and minuses for both

1. Spiller is clearly the more dynamic and effective runner, averaging almost a full yard per carry more, but Vereen has the better ball security.

2. I know Vereen has some pass blocking skills because he wouldn't be out there if he didn't. I'm not sure of how good a pass protector Spiller is, but lets assume he's OK given that pass protection for the 3rd down back is important in every system.

3. Both have good hands, and you'd have to take into consideration when you compare stats that Spiller has had Fitzpatrick, Manuel, and Orton throwing to him for most of his career, while Vereen has had TFB

4. Just based on games played, Spiller seems like the most durable with Spiller averaging 14 gpy, while Vereen averages only 10.

5. Vereen has an advantage because he knows the system and the QB

So when you put it all together, you can see its not an easy choice. Vereen's didn't have a great year running the ball this year. It seemed that too often the first contact was bringing him down. Spiller would be a much more dynamic ball carrier. OTOH Spiller has averaged just over 3 fumbles a season, while Vereen has averaged just .5. They both seem to catch the ball very well, but I'd be interested in seeing their respective drop stats. They are both about the same size and age.

In the end, I'd be happy with either, and take who ever is cheapest. Spiller has the higher upside IMO, if not for the fumbles it wouldn't be as close. I'd take him and hope we could coach up his ball security issues, but not at a premium

BTW-I have no idea what the market is for 3rd down RB's or what each guy is looking for, but my guess on what the Pats would be willing to pay is likely in the $2-3/MM range
Spiller missed seven games last season with a shoulder injury, could be damaged goods. Also is fumble-prone. Vereen is proven in the clutch, very consistent and a high-character dude. If money is more or less equal and affordable, I'd go with Shane.

got to get under the cap to save those dollars to sign those players.

Lets say Vareen leaves,
I guess I'm in minority but "IF" he buys into "Patriot Way" he should be good from his injury and numbers work out, Harvin can be Dynamic and a game changer on Offense & ST. Again, "IF"

Spiller missed seven games last season with a shoulder injury, could be damaged goods. Also is fumble-prone. Vereen is proven in the clutch, very consistent and a high-character dude. If money is more or less equal and affordable, I'd go with Shane.

He is also smarter than most and has adapted to this offense quite well.

He also gets major props for his Superbowl performance..

He is also smarter than most and has adapted to this offense quite well.

He also gets major props for his Superbowl performance..

No doubt. I definitely agree with you and @Tunescribe that keeping Vereen would be much better than most of the other options. He already knows the system, which is huge in and of itself.

My main concern is that we're cap strapped at the moment and just can't afford to keep a player who has proven to be something of a luxury/role player--and I certainly don't mean that disrespectfully against Vereen.

I just believe that they'll try and replace that (often minor) production from other avenues. In other words, although Vereen is a great chess piece to have, we can probably get those 3-4 catches a game from someone else, even if it's no longer a RB. Vereen's 2 biggest games were against teams with great defensive fronts (DET and SEA), so it will suck to have that advantage taken away if he leaves.

His biggest plus is the ability to take advantage of mismatches lined up vs LBs, so that will be a challenge to replace and scheme around.

I'm not a grammar nazi but you guys are killing me with Vareen. Cringe everytime I see that. It's Vereen. C'mon man it's been four years!

The first two seasons I was calling him Ben Vereen. I needed therapy, meds, etc..

:p

White. Both those guys are too expensive.

White. Both those guys are too expensive.
Unless he has done something to completely blow his opportunity, they are absolutely going to give White a shot.

C.J. Spiller | BUF
(March 6, 2015 11:41 PM EST)
Citing multiple league sources, Yahoo's Rand Getlin reports the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Cardinals, 49ers, Redskins, and Lions have interest in free agent C.J. Spiller.
It's notable that the Eagles were not included; they've been a presumed suitor since 2014 reports surfaced of Chip Kelly trying to trade for Spiller. Getlin suggests the Jets "might be the team to beat," given Spiller's successful history in New York OC Chan Gailey's spread offense. New England would be an intriguing fit, with Spiller replacing free agent Shane Vereen.
SOURCE: YAHOO SPORTS

C.J. Spiller | BUF
(March 6, 2015 11:41 PM EST)
Citing multiple league sources, Yahoo's Rand Getlin reports the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Cardinals, 49ers, Redskins, and Lions have interest in free agent C.J. Spiller.
It's notable that the Eagles were not included; they've been a presumed suitor since 2014 reports surfaced of Chip Kelly trying to trade for Spiller. Getlin suggests the Jets "might be the team to beat," given Spiller's successful history in New York OC Chan Gailey's spread offense. New England would be an intriguing fit, with Spiller replacing free agent Shane Vereen.
SOURCE: YAHOO SPORTS

I think they just make this stuff up, based on their personal opinions.

I couldn't imagine why we'd want to turn Vereen away, yet reach out to Spiller and have to pay him more money. That doesn't make any sense whatsover.

Yahoo sports is just as bad, if not way worse, (I am serious) than pro football focus. At least PFF can get things within reason if you examine the context of their analysis. Yahoo sports, on the other hand, seems to be written by a bunch of elementary school children.

I'm not a grammar nazi but you guys are killing me with Vareen. Cringe everytime I see that. It's Vereen. C'mon man it's been four years!

I'm not a pedantic nazi but you guys are killing me with the use of "grammar nazi". Cringe everytime I see that. It's "spelling". C'mon man it's been x years since your grade school!

:p

What's a Mountain Comma ? :)

Pierre Thomas should be cheap and is a perfect fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes