PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ventrone PUP or NFLE reserve????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
In another thread, there were Patriot transactions..and on two of them, it listed Ventrone as PUP on Wed. I wonder if that is the case..or that he's on the NFLE reserve list. Just curious...as to that possibility.

last i saw, boston herald reported that he was one of several nfle players who "had not reported", making them not count towards the roster total to this point

Well, I suspect that if they think he has a chance of making the team at some point (he is a DB, after all), they'd put him on PUP, rather than definitively lose him for the season by putting him on IR.

But that raises a related question in my mind--if, as was previously reported, Matt Shelton stank, why was he put on IR at all, instead of just cutting him?

Last edited:
ctpatsfan77 said:
Well, I suspect that if they think he has a chance of making the team at some point (he is a DB, after all), they'd put him on PUP, rather than definitively lose him for the season by putting him on IR.

But that raises a related question in my mind--if, as was previously reported, Matt Shelton stank, why was he put on IR at all, instead of just cutting him?
I think if its a severe injury..you just can't cut a player...maybe they thought he wasn't ready and think in time he could be..next year..later??

Ventrone was placed on the Reserve/NFL Europe Injured list.

He had shoulder surgery in the offseason after playing in NFL Europe.

He is joined on the list by Zuriel Smith and Earl Charles, who were also injured in Europe.

All 3 players will be out for the season. They do not count towards the active player limit.

WR Cedric James spent most of 2004 and 2005 on the same list before being cut last spring.

Last edited:
Pats726 said:
I think if its a severe injury..you just can't cut a player...maybe they thought he wasn't ready and think in time he could be..next year..later??

That's correct. They'd have to reach an injury settlement with the player, which would most likely be equal to what he makes going on the I.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots