Welcome to PatsFans.com

Vent: Subway

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 16, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

I went to Subway to get a sandwich for lunch, and they had a tip cup out by the register. Am I wrong for getting upset at fast food chains for posting tip cups? Is it out of line to think that a place that charges me $6+ for a sub with 5 slices of turkey shouldn't expect me to subsidize their labor? I think, and we may have touched on this before in here, that Dunkin Donuts is the biggest villain when it comes to this. $2+ for a coffee and then you expect patrons to pay your help too? I know, I know, you're not obligated to leave any money, but if you frequent a particular establishment regularly, you almost feel compelled to. I leave a tip a lot more often than not, but I hate that crap. I don't want to sound insensetive, as I used to bus, and wait tables in the North End, and thus appreciate people who depend on tips for a living. The thing is, in a restaurant you're being served, whereas in a fast food joint, your being serviced. What's next, a tip cup for accepting someone's rent, or for the lady working the register at Home Depot? Maybe I should include a tip with my Keyspan payment for the person who has to process it. I know, a tip for the parking clerk who writes me a citation. At any rate, I wanted to vent a little, and see if it was just me who felt this way. :mad:

2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, you're not the only one... and here's a little secret the companies don't want us to know: By tipping employees, that enables them to pay less in terms of wages. So if everybody started tipping these Dairy Queen and Dunkin' Donuts workers, it only serves to enrich the corporation, not the employees.

By tipping, that allows employers to spend less for labor. The typical waitress doesn't even make minimum wage.

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

Oh, exactly. The tips are a subsidy for the corporation. It upsets me because the company pays them nothing, and then says "but hey, you'll make X amount an hour in tips". All the while jacking up the price and pocketing the difference. When I was outside running projects I had no choice, but now that I am in the office I brew my own. I love DD coffee too, but oh well. :( The subway thing today was the first time I'd seen it inside one of the lunch chains.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 20 / -30

OTOH that is the way the food service industry works, look at any restaurant.. the waitstaff gets below minimum wage and they are supposed to make it up in tips. As much as it pisses me off, I look at the people who work in these places.. mostly college kids, recovering alki's or displaced mom's they look like they can use some extra cash. Not exhonerating DD or Subway, but the reality of them making an acceptable wage will not happen in this economy. Imagine if they were making ok money, freaking coffee would be about 4 bucks..

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

Yeah but I'm not talking about an actual restaurant where you sit down, order something, and are served. I'm talking about a fast food chain with a drive thru, where they guage you $6 for a lousy sub, or $2+ for a coffee. It's not by coincidence that there is a DD at every other corner you cross. They are there because they make TONS of money, in part, because us same suckers who pay $2 for a coffee, and a $1 for a plain bagel, subsidize their labor costs with ever tip we leave.

6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

First of all, what are you doing in Subway? If I lived and worked 1/2 a mile from the North End I'd be in Sub heaven. There's an outstanding sub shop on every other corner. I, on the other hand, am stuck in Brighton which is over loaded with awful Greek places selling their stupid Gyros, crappy Pizza, day old sandwich rolls and constantly asking me if I want mayo on my Italian:mad: btw, does Subway still pre-cook and nuke their Steak and Cheeses to order? I tried them once 10 years or so ago and saw that. I haven't been back.

Them Brazilian girls in Dunky's are worth a little extra imo. I used to stop into the Dunky's in the Watertown Mall every morning and leave with a woo...

Bein' as this is a family oriented message board, lets just say I left with a smile on my face.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

When I was working I was in and out of every back alley and side street in Boston, Revere, Chelsea and East Boston, I have eaten some of the most beautiful Subs in this world then I came to Maine, they make a sandwich up here that they call "Real Italian" it consists of Boiled Ham, American Cheese, Lettuce, Chopped Tomato and Mayo, I told the hillbilly up here that we call that a "Ham and Cheese Sandwich" he gets mad.
    If you live in Brighton and if you like Baked Stuffed Lobster go to the "Stockyards".
    :bricks:

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

Well, I'm in Chelsea, and don't really have teh time to go into the NE. I used to work there, and my cousin owns a couple of restaurants on Hanover, and know first hand how good the eats can be in that area. ;)

Well, I opted for Subway over Burger Barf, TB, Wendy's, or McDiarea's. Usually I buy stuff at Market Basket on Monday (for the week) and leave in the fridge we got here at work. Saves me a few bucks, and I eat better. I didn't get around to it this week, and thus the turkey on wheat.

BTW, I think they still nuke. :eek:

Oh, and :yeahthat: on the ladies.

9. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

For places where the waitstaff gets paid less than minimum wage, tip away. I don't think Subway gets such an exemption from minimum wage laws (ditto coffee places), so tipping is purely optional.

Regards,
    Chris

10. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

one of the things i miss most about Boston are the little sub shops on the street corners that make cheap but good toasted subs. I miss Demo's in Watertown. I miss all the hole in the wall great places to eat in Allston. I miss Rubins Deli on Harvard St that had the greatest chopped liver sandwiches in the world. I used to live around the corner from Kupels bakery on Harvard and Fuller.

But the all-time place I miss, and it hasnt been there in 15 years, was

DELI KING Harvard St/Commonwealth Ave in Allston.

I practically lived at that place and loved the people watching there.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  11. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

RW, I feel your pain. I'm glad you prefaced it by saying that you worked in that industry (although, I knew waitstaff who would go out after work and not tip, go figure). I do not tip at fastfood, except the change I don't want ( hot dog vendors I tip). I'll carry my own groceries to the car because I can and also because I don't want to be bothered with tipping. I tip the girl who washes my hair before it gets cut and of course the girl who cuts it. I don't tip the Starbucks people, mainly because I'm almost always using a debit card, besides they are well taken care of with health care expenses. Sometimes I'll go through the car wash, and no I do not tip. I'll go out to breakfast every so often and tip very well. Comes from working in that environment and breakfast is so inexpensive. I know I'm missing one that really stuns me, I'll think of it later.

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 20 / -30

When I lived in Maine, the food sucked plain and simple, talk about simple and boring fare.. sure it is different in Portland, but for the rest of the state.. they forgot the taste.

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

Your right, I am a chinese food freak, I would never eat it in Maine when my children come up to visit they always bring a couple of big shopping bags of it from Mass.
    I'm glad I didn't have to grow up in Maine I would have gone crazy (uh oh).

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

I bussed and waited tables in the North End all through college (Massamino's), and I know how glamorless that field can be, and how reliant those people are on tips. I always tip well when being served. Thing is, those peoples jobs are to serve people, and they are thus tipped on the level of that service. My complaint with the fast food people is that they are not serving me. They are no different than a bank teller, or a cashier at Stop & Shop. When I worked at Kelly's Roast Beef (another college job I had) we got paid $7-8 an hour and I never expected, nor did we ever contemplate getting a tip. I guess it just annoys me because I feel that it's being abused, and that I don't like subsidizing some corporate guys labor.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

I should add, that some people in here will now call me cheap for posting my thoughts on the Dunkin Donuts/Subway tip cup. :rolleyes: I find it funny cuz if my friends, or people that knew me, saw some of the labels and accusations being tossed at me, they'd laugh hysterically. It just goes to show you how judgemental, and ignorant some people can be. :D

16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Sorry to say, Its a McDonald's now:eek:

Harry, I can't count the number of times I've been to the Stockyard. The BFI transfer station across the street is gone btw, its now Channel 2's main office. I always wondered how a restaurant could grow so popular with a giant garbage facility right across the street. They must have had a kicka$$ ventilation system from day one.

17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

I haven't been there for some time now, when all of us from my old neighborhood in Cambridge used to get together we always headed over there, I have had some great dinners in there.

When I was a kid there was a Slaughter House in Brighton over near the end of Arsenal St, we used to "Hop" the old trolley cars that ran out of Central Sq to Watertown, we would be hanging on the back of the car and when we wanted to get off we would pull down the Electric Pole that ran the Trolley and it would come to a dead stop the drivers used to chase us with a crowbar, then they would let us into the Slaughter House and we would watch the guys in big rubber boots who were covered with blood Kill the Cattle, it was a real horror show.

During WWII the Stockyard was a Night Club with "floor shows" it was one of the few places we could get served without an ID, it was called "Ribby's".
    Jesus I'm Old--------