Welcome to PatsFans.com

Venezuela oil 'may double Saudi Arabia'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by s.t.e.n.d.e.c, Jan 23, 2010.

1. s.t.e.n.d.e.c

s.t.e.n.d.e.c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Danm, 500 Billion barrels of oil, i wounder how long it will be before AQ shows up in Venezauela and we have to invade.

BBC News - Venezuela oil 'may double Saudi Arabia'

The geologists estimate the area could yield more than 500bn barrels of crude oil.

This assessment is far more optimistic than even the best case scenario put forward by President Hugo Chavez.

The USGS team gave a mean estimate of 513bn barrels of "technically recoverable" oil in the Orinoco belt.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Your ridiculous cynicism aside, any time it looks like the world's supply may greatly increase that's a good thing even if it is a place like Venezuela. Drill, baby, drill. Now let's go after OUR oil.
  3. s.t.e.n.d.e.c

s.t.e.n.d.e.c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh pshaw, I was being sarcastic. Of course we'ed never invade Venezeula, at least i don't think we would. Well i hope this puts a dent in the peak oil concept at lest in the short run.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

We wouldn't have to go anywhere if we would use our own resources which are more abundant than anyone else's. Weird how the dems an RINO's won't let us use our own resources.
  5. s.t.e.n.d.e.c

s.t.e.n.d.e.c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

WE do not have anywhere near this amount of oil, if we do its to costly to recover at this time. I was looking at a BP estimation last fall of the world reserves and how long they'd last. At 09 levels of consumption there is enough oil left for appx. 30-40 years. I'm sure more will be found, its getting it out of the ground with todays technology which i can only assume will get better as time goes by. Eventually the oil Will run out, but this buys time to find a replacement
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

If you looked at estimates from 20-30 years ago they thought we would use up our reserves by now, perhaps you are too young to have seen malthusian predictions like this before, at the turn of the 20th century people thought we would run out of oil in 30-40 years.

There are new coal liquefaction processes than can produce a barrel of oil from coal at about $25/bbl.
  7. s.t.e.n.d.e.c

s.t.e.n.d.e.c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I use to have a Scientific American piece on this company that i can no longer retrieve, it explained how Alstom came up with a way to burn coal cleanly. They built at least one plant in Swtizerland (which the article was about) save the gass for vehicles use coal for electrical generation.

http://www.service.power.alstom.com/power-generation-services/clean-coal-technology.htm
  8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

Using coal we have enough liquid fuel for ~ 400 years, not to mention our vast reserves of Natural gas and Nuclear fuel that is available.
  9. s.t.e.n.d.e.c

s.t.e.n.d.e.c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You know planets such as Jupiter are mostly methane, and i'm pretty sure no dinasaures or plants produced that gas. There most be a way to produce methane artificially not through plant or animal decay....just a thought.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 4 / -2

I wish we would at least explore for our own oil. In most cases I believe he law forbids coring for potential reserves.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -22

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Will "the loons" hate Chavez Oil (loons love chavez)----:confused:
  13. s.t.e.n.d.e.c

s.t.e.n.d.e.c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He can be bought like any other politician, and when he gets to big for his britches....chop his fvckin head off.