PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Van Noy, McClellin. Did BB turn it around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Forget whether McClellin's worth his contract. Did BB take a "bad apple" situation and turn it around? Seems to me Collins wasn't going to give his full concentration/cooperation this year, whether contract related or not. Sheard was fading away.

Seems like he prepared [trading for LBs] and executed, via trade and benching of Sheard and know has the D working as a unit.

Obviously they have a way to go, and we'll miss the athleticism of Collins, but it seems the two LBs and DE are with the program and ready to execute more innovative defense.

Thoughts, especially X O guys who watch tape or all 22.

Forget whether McClellin's worth his contract. Did BB take a "bad apple" situation and turn it around? Seems to me Collins wasn't going to give his full concentration/cooperation this year, whether contract related or not. Sheard was fading away.

Seems like he prepared [trading for LBs] and executed, via trade and benching of Sheard and know has the D working as a unit.

Obviously they have a way to go, and we'll miss the athleticism of Collins, but it seems the two LBs and DE are with the program and ready to execute more innovative defense.

Thoughts, especially X O guys who watch tape or all 22.

This past week's "Belichick Breakdown" on patriots.com focuses on Van Noy's game vs LA.

Seems to really know what he's doing out there and playing the off the line LB position well as the game tape showed.

This past week's "Belichick Breakdown" on patriots.com focuses on Van Noy's game vs LA.

Seems to really know what he's doing out there and playing the off the line LB position well as the game tape showed.
I liked one play where Goff was sacked, coverage downfield was solid and Van Noyes knocked the TE off his feet as he broke from the line of scrimmage

McClellin still needs to improve quite a bit but Van Noy has been surprisingly solid thus far. He has a sack, an INT, and 9 tackles in three games. I saw in a Keyed article that he also has 10 pressures (though I'm not sure where he got that statistic from). Not too shabby. Hopefully he can keep it up.

I liked one play where Goff was sacked, coverage downfield was solid and Van Noyes knocked the TE off his feet as he broke from the line of scrimmage
Yep!

A great sign that they gave him the dot to call the D when High went out. That means he really knows what's going on out there.

Speculating here but if they give him that full time, that might allow High to move around a little more on D.

Last edited:
McClellin still needs to improve quite a bit but Van Noy has been surprisingly solid thus far. He has a sack, an INT, and 9 tackles in three games. I saw in a Keyed article that he also has 10 pressures (though I'm not sure where he got that statistic from). Not too shabby. Hopefully he can keep it up.

McClellin has 13 tackles and a sack over the past 3 games. I agree about Van Noy but McClellin has been just as productive over the last 3 games as Van Noy. BB switched him to primary off-the-line lb with High last 3 games and that has made a world of diffference. Those 2 guys plus the cb rotation of butler rowe ryan has really settled this D. Hopefully Rowe can fully recover from that hammy. Pats are gonna need the D monday night-not that Ravens O is awesome-but they have arguably the best D in the nfl and TB12 is not going to be able to tear them apart, so the D needs to help out.

I've been impressed by the Patriot's acquisitions this season on D. Okay, McClellin was signed as a free agent but he was considered a tweener/bust in Chicago. But when you look at Van Noy and Rowe I think you see two players who could be starters on the Patriots defence for years to come. Bill executed great trades and shows he has an eye for talent that other coaches/GMs miss on.

This makes me wonder what is going on with Mingo, is he going to only play on special teams? Given the injuries and the players traded away it is worrying Mingo can't crack the rotation. Could he be saved for the play-offs, it's possible but considering the Patriots gave up a 5th rounder for him I have been expecting more. Given Mingo is a free agent and can't crack the rotation here I don't think he would consider extending with the Pats, all players want to play. The 6th overall pick and features only on special teams that is not the type of career anyone would think this guy would have.

I knew Van Noy would be an impact player when he was traded for. Reminds me a bit of DeAndre Levy, but a bit more versatile. Can get pressure on the QB, drops into coverage well & pretty stout against the run. He already has 10 QB pressures in 24 pass-rushing snaps & a 23.6 passer rating against. I guess he's basically a slightly less athletic version of Collins that's actually buying into BB's system.

Kyle Van Noy Unexpectedly Taking Over Jamie Collins’ Role In Patriots’ Defense

I've been impressed by the Patriot's acquisitions this season on D. Okay, McClellin was signed as a free agent but he was considered a tweener/bust in Chicago. But when you look at Van Noy and Rowe I think you see two players who could be starters on the Patriots defence for years to come. Bill executed great trades and shows he has an eye for talent that other coaches/GMs miss on.

This makes me wonder what is going on with Mingo, is he going to only play on special teams? Given the injuries and the players traded away it is worrying Mingo can't crack the rotation. Could he be saved for the play-offs, it's possible but considering the Patriots gave up a 5th rounder for him I have been expecting more. Given Mingo is a free agent and can't crack the rotation here I don't think he would consider extending with the Pats, all players want to play. The 6th overall pick and features only on special teams that is not the type of career anyone would think this guy would have.

Yea while I am disappointed Mingo can't seem to get regular snaps on D, hes done pretty darn well on special teams. Regardless what we expected from him, a 5th rd pick for a solid STer who is a backup/LB/ED defender is by no means an overpay.

I think he might need some weight room work. I'd heard he was really light at one point in Cleveland.

Doesn't really matter where they were picked . Many high picks never amount to anything.

they both got pretty much all there season stats from last weeks game vs the rams so I am not looking for them to have sacks and INT's every week moving forward but I am hoping they can play good vs the run and most of all covering RB's and TE's down field

I think my point is about more than the individual players. Seems like a cancer on the team with Collins and then Sheard resulting in some poor play we all noticed despite the stats.

Two times I recall situations the team got derailed when he "lost the team" or tried to prevent that. Adalius Thomas and others punished for being late, but too late for him to fix team chemistry.

Big Bang Clock had to go and, apparently Sanders too, leaving the team grasping at straws to find DBs. [Love him but, please let me live my life without having to see Slater playing safety again, or that CB Moulden].

This time, mysterious additions costing draft picks for LBs answered when Collins traded. Sheard benched and they've hardly missed a beat.

I think Milloy was gone when they acquired Rodney. No way was Milloy going to co-exist there. that was more than contract, he wanted different leadership IMO.

He wasn't going to baby sit Terry Glenn like Parcells did either. I think Parcells wasted time trying to change attitudes sometimes. BB prefers the trap door.

I think my point is about more than the individual players. Seems like a cancer on the team with Collins and then Sheard resulting in some poor play we all noticed despite the stats.

Two times I recall situations the team got derailed when he "lost the team" or tried to prevent that. Adalius Thomas and others punished for being late, but too late for him to fix team chemistry.

Big Bang Clock had to go and, apparently Sanders too, leaving the team grasping at straws to find DBs. [Love him but, please let me live my life without having to see Slater playing safety again, or that CB Moulden].

This time, mysterious additions costing draft picks for LBs answered when Collins traded. Sheard benched and they've hardly missed a beat.

I think Milloy was gone when they acquired Rodney. No way was Milloy going to co-exist there. that was more than contract, he wanted different leadership IMO.

He wasn't going to baby sit Terry Glenn like Parcells did either. I think Parcells wasted time trying to change attitudes sometimes. BB prefers the trap door.

I agree with most of that. But I believe you're wrong about sheard. Everything I've heard from credible people like Reiss is sheard has worked very hard and has never been any type of attitude problem or cancer.(unlike Collins) They said he was benched purely on performance. He never sulked. He continued working hard in practice got his job back and played very well. He's the best edge player Pats have, so they need him to

I still don't like the trade of Jones and Collins and I really don't want to trust this defense but its week 14 and they are raked #2 in points and 9th in yards so I have to just shut my mouth and injoy the ride

I agree with most of that. But I believe you're wrong about sheard. Everything I've heard from credible people like Reiss is sheard has worked very hard and has never been any type of attitude problem or cancer.(unlike Collins) They said he was benched purely on performance. He never sulked. He continued working hard in practice got his job back and played very well. He's the best edge player Pats have, so they need him to

Obviously true on sheard, but players can be influenced by bad chemistry. He wasn't playing as well as last year and BB made a point of getting his attention.

Subtle difference between a winning team and otherwise IMO. Everyone has to be on the same page and emotionally invested. It doesn't just happen and 20-30 teams with lots of talent know it, but not how to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back